I think my electricity charge is too much

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I think my electricity charge is too much

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

gentlesandah wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:56 am When apartment rent fees for April arrived, I was shocked to find that my electricity fees is $280. My friends pay only $60 for electricity. I think there must be something wrong.
Surprised you don't pop the breaker. That's an apartment so it could get up there with a coupla A/C's, cooking in, jacuzzi and electric toys, in an open plan (open door, even more likely).
I'd still check the neighbours' meters.
I noticed you have left your address out there, unless it's not yours or it was altered (don't piss anyone off), and obscured the bank account details, which can pretty much only be deposited into.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Of course, the simple answer may simply be that they’ve written the numbers down incorrectly. Very few people these days pay real attention to the answers they get from the questions they ask.

In this case, instead of 14095, burning 934units may well have been 14895 burning 134units.
As a guide, we burned over 5 units per day for the first month in our current apartment. Fridge starting up, hot water heater, AC incorrectly wired up.
It settled down to about 4.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:58 pm Of course, the simple answer may simply be that they’ve written the numbers down incorrectly. Very few people these days pay real attention to the answers they get from the questions they ask.

In this case, instead of 14095, burning 934units may well have been 14895 burning 134units.
As a guide, we burned over 5 units per day for the first month in our current apartment. Fridge starting up, hot water heater, AC incorrectly wired up.
It settled down to about 4.
Easily done, a couple of months ago my apartment made an honest mistake by taking the starting figure from the month before. Sorted very quickly, and for those interested he charges 850/kwh
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:36 pmHowever, you will have signed on the line and agreed to those charges when you moved in, probably unaware of the ramifications of that agreement.
In Cambodia, as in most countries, the law is supreme. In other words, you cannot be held liable in terms of a contract which has an illegal clause in it. You may sign a contract agreeing to work 80 hours a week with only 1 day off a month and zero sick leave, but the Labor Law supersedes that agreement, so those clauses are null and void.

If you signed agreeing to 1000 riel/ Kwh, and the condo is reselling electricity illegally, then you are in the clear. Go and see EDC.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

schlarry wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:43 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:36 pmHowever, you will have signed on the line and agreed to those charges when you moved in, probably unaware of the ramifications of that agreement.
In Cambodia, as in most countries, the law is supreme. In other words, you cannot be held liable in terms of a contract which has an illegal clause in it. You may sign a contract agreeing to work 80 hours a week with only 1 day off a month and zero sick leave, but the Labor Law supersedes that agreement, so those clauses are null and void.

If you signed agreeing to 1000 riel/ Kwh, and the condo is reselling electricity illegally, then you are in the clear. Go and see EDC.
EDC are a supply company, they do not make the law. Where, in law, does it say that apartment owners cannot charge an uplift in electricity charges?

Where in the EDC website does it make this assertion? I haven't got time to wade through their site, so please send a link.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:54 pm
schlarry wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:43 pm

EDC are a supply company, they do not make the law. Where, in law, does it say that apartment owners cannot charge an uplift in electricity charges?

Where in the EDC website does it make this assertion? I haven't got time to wade through their site, so please send a link.
A multitude of laws exist regarding how thousands of products can and cannot be produced, distributed and sold, or resold, and how hundreds of organizations such as airlines operate. Very few of the original product manufacturers or organizations have any legislative power, yet the govt recognizes the need for laws regulating such, as we all know.

A quick request on their FB page or a telephone call will get you an answer. Be independent, it's fun!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

schlarry wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:35 pm
A multitude of laws exist regarding how thousands of products can and cannot be produced, distributed and sold, or resold, and how hundreds of organizations such as airlines operate. Very few of the original product manufacturers or organizations have any legislative power, yet the govt recognizes the need for laws regulating such, as we all know.

A quick request on their FB page or a telephone call will get you an answer. Be independent, it's fun!
So…you have the link?

Khmer landlords and landladies, city wide, are making extra by charging their rate on electricity. I refuse to entertain this, but other’s simply factor this into the monthly cost to determine whether it’s worth it.

Most of the apartments that I have seen and immediately discounted have involved no independent metering, or owners setting their own tarif. There may well be laws in place. Next you need to enforce these. EDC cannot even provide competent technicians and engineers in a timely manner to resolve unsafe electrical installations. I don’t see price gouging ending any time soon, law or no.
Last edited by Freightdog on Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

https://policy.asiapacificenergy.org/si ... %20Ed..pdf

Feb 2, 2001 — electricity for consumption and not for delivery or resale to others. CHAPTER II: FRAMEWORK OF THE ELECTRIC POWER SUPPLY AND SERVICES.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I lived in 3 different places and always paid 0.25$ per KWh, but still never paid more than 70-80$ monthly in the hot season with AC running at least 12 hours a day. In Dec/ Jan/Feb my bills were 30$.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

schlarry wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:34 pm https://policy.asiapacificenergy.org/si ... %20Ed..pdf

Feb 2, 2001 — electricity for consumption and not for delivery or resale to others. CHAPTER II: FRAMEWORK OF THE ELECTRIC POWER SUPPLY AND SERVICES.
That document is a framework for the issuing of licences by the government. It is nothing to do with consumer protection.

The phrase you have pulled out simply defines what a "consumer" is, and it is found at the end of Chapter I.

Chapter 1, Article 2, (d) (i) The protection of the rights of consumers to receive the reliable and adequate
supply of electric power services at reasonable cost,

and at the end of the Chapter it defines what a consumer is:

The consumer in this law shall mean a person or his successor that purchases or receives
electricity for consumption and not for delivery or resale to others.

That does not mean it is prohibited, it just defines a consumer as someone who uses it themselves, as opposed to a wholesale buyer to sell to others, which requires a licence.

My reading of this is there is no intention to prohibit landlords to charge their tenants for individual consumption and at a mutually agreed rate, and nothing here suggests such a prohibition exists.

Uplifts in electricity prices are commonplace and accepted practice. The notion of successfully waving this document at a landlord and getting them to reduce their charges is for the birds. But good luck with that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic