I think my electricity charge is too much

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I think my electricity charge is too much

Post by cabron »

cautious colin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:56 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pm
schlarry wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:45 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:32 pm
gentlesandah wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:56 am When apartment rent fees for April arrived, I was shocked to find that my electricity fees is $280. My friends pay only $60 for electricity. I think there must be something wrong.
Also, as you live in a condo your rate per kw/h is around 100% higher than standard
It is illegal to re-sell electricity initially supplied by EDC. Check out their FB page and website, contact them, and tell them about your bill.

An EDC bill will state the Kwh rate. Yours doesn't. Suspicious.

Also be aware that in a condo you are also possibly paying a general lighting fee, ie lighting for entrance and hallways, elevator etc.

Compare with your neighbour in the same condo.
Whether illegal or legal most condo electric rates are 25c or more

As opposed to 5xx and 6xx riel in a house
Yep, which also can be justified if they have generators, communal lighting & lifts etc
The owner is taking this guy for a ride.
Boredom is like a shroud
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Condos charge the owner a monthly fee for common areas and property maintenance. That fee should be recovered by the owner inside the rent costs - not through electricity surcharges for common areas. That’s double dipping. Regardless many/most landlords do charge more but it’s interesting hear it’s not legal.
Stay classy na
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pmWhether illegal or legal most condo electric rates are 25c or more

The contract should state unambiguously what he is billed for.

I don't think any house in the city pays 500-600. Lowest is around 610, iirc.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Camb ... nd%20taxes.

I mentioned the illegality in case his condo gets shirty.

In any event, only EDC will be able to do a meter test and ascertain whether he is being overcharged or not. Hopefully they can correct the bill. What they do about it if there is illegal resale is moot, really.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Do you have an independent meter? We got this nipped in the bud pretty quickly with one place- they were calculating their own rate for which one apartment would cover the cost of the entire building.
Just say no, and ask for photos of the meter readings for your apartment, and to see an original bill from EDC. Do the arithmetic for them. Any difficulty, make plans to move as there’s a chance that they’ll just become more difficult. Consider any deposit already paid as covering the last month.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

schlarry wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:48 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pmWhether illegal or legal most condo electric rates are 25c or more

I don't think any house in the city pays 500-600. Lowest is around 610, iirc.
They do. There are currently four types of electricity tariffs for households. It costs 380Riels/kWh from 1kWh to 10 kWh of monthly consumption, 480 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption from 11kWh to 50 kWh, 610 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption from 51kWh to 200 kWh and 730 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption that exceeds 200 kWh.

Presently we pay a premium on our electric, however, a gardener, yard security cameras and a few other perks of this property are covered by the extra cost so it's worthwhile
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:05 pm They do. There are currently four types of electricity tariffs for households. It costs 380Riels/kWh from 1kWh to 10 kWh of monthly consumption, 480 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption from 11kWh to 50 kWh, 610 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption from 51kWh to 200 kWh and 730 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption that exceeds 200 kWh.
Useful to know what the break points on the tariffs are, although it seems there may still be more to it.

With our present location, I had a robust discussion with the owners about the charge. They calculated well over r1000 per unit, but the EDC bill clearly demonstrated r610 and r730. The landlady was adamant, and so I paid her only for the basic apartment rent until she saw the wisdom of being nice.
It was clear in the lease (I’d put the requirement in) that electricity must be charged only at EDC rates.
However, while we have our own meter, the EDC bill is for the entire building, and it’s not practical to get it better itemised. So it’s still a compromise.

I don’t know if/how the owners have some tax liability on the rent earned, and charge a lower rate for the apartment, supplementing this with cash payments on the electricity to achieve a better income. That’s their problem.
My bargaining point was that we could simply hop over the balcony and rent the empty apartment next door if they didn’t acquiesce, and follow the agreement.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Id be shocked as well, especially since April hasnt even started yet!
Btw the water rate is taking the piss as well. My bill for a family of five is only 7$ every 2 months.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

cabron wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:37 pm
cautious colin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:56 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pm
schlarry wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:45 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:32 pm

Also, as you live in a condo your rate per kw/h is around 100% higher than standard
It is illegal to re-sell electricity initially supplied by EDC. Check out their FB page and website, contact them, and tell them about your bill.

An EDC bill will state the Kwh rate. Yours doesn't. Suspicious.

Also be aware that in a condo you are also possibly paying a general lighting fee, ie lighting for entrance and hallways, elevator etc.

Compare with your neighbour in the same condo.
Whether illegal or legal most condo electric rates are 25c or more

Yep, which also can be justified if they have generators, communal lighting & lifts etc
The owner is taking this guy for a ride.
Never said he wasn't

but imo, its fine to charge more that the base rate in a condo with communal space and a lift etc.

using nearly 1000 kwh a month is a hell of a lot, so its likely that meter is wrong, either intentionally or not

I also agree with @canucklhead - the water is way too much (but fairly common)
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Yes, to much. Lived in a condo, I never paid more than 70-80 $ in the hot season. (fridge w freezer, AC, fan, hot water boiler, lights, gadgets, induction stove- cooked every day). Water 1,5-2,5 $ (includes showers several times a day 2 pax)
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

If they are quoting a meter number, then you have your own meter and therefore there will be a bill for that number. Demand to see it. Of course, they won't want to show you as you will see the rate is probably about 700 riel per KwH, about $0.17. They are charging you $0.30, so you are being mugged off. However, you will have signed on the line and agreed to those charges when you moved in, probably unaware of the ramifications of that agreement.

@gentlesandah describe in detail what electrical appliances you are running, including the AC unit, what type it is and if you leave it on 24 hours a day. Even a 1.5HP unit would struggle to eat that much power, especially in a single room.

I've always found these uplifts in rates a grubby and transparent attempt to rip you off. Why should they profit from electricity, and even more so because your use is high?

EDIT:

Is this the same apartment your employer recommended? They stitched you right up.

post587160.html#p587160
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic