Coconuts

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Coconuts

Post by Freightdog »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:53 pm I took a coconut back to England as a Christmas present for a laugh about 7 or 8 years ago. No problems and just used a saw to chop the top off and a drill to get inside :thumb:
Did you declare it? It makes all the difference.
Buck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Buck »

https://youtu.be/H4_9kDO3q0w

Perhaps enlist the air of a…
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I remember flying Singapore Air from the US to Singapore (then transfer to Cambodia). Apples, other fruits, and sandwiches served on flight as snacks were forbidden to enter Manchester and would be seized on transfer screening by the British Border Force.

Candy, crackers and chips, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gazzy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:40 pm A strange question but a friend is returning to Ukraine and wants to take 4 coconuts as gifts. Apparently they're not available there. Does anyone know if this is even possible?
I've often brought fresh fruit from here to Europe. It's possibly forbidden but that's more for unprocessed plants with soil still attached. There aren't many pests that could survive in temperate Europe, in Australia it is different. I was thinking of bringing some coconuts back last time because I had a huge baggage allowance.
When I was growing up I had no idea what coconuts looked like on a tree. We would get these brown things around Halloween that looked like hairy balls and I thought that was how they grew. I even had a French Foreign Legion Britain's set and it had palm trees with these brown spikey things hanging off them.
So just give them a good clean. Otherwise grab some rambutans, logans etc that are rare outside the region and bring them. Check them for spiders, snakes and stuff first.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:56 pm In general carrying fresh/unprocessed plant material is not a good idea
I nearly always carry 20kg (for 2 pax) of fresh mangoes, papayas and other fruits into Italy when flying home. 10kg each is no problem.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic