Is Sharky bar open or closed and do they owe staff back pay?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Is Sharky bar open or closed and do they owe staff back pay?

Post by Freebirdzz »

A few days ago a friend of mine mentioned that Sharky Bar has been closed for months. I was surprised; I had no idea.

Today I saw a post on my FB feed from Sharky Bar inviting people to come on down.

Followed by comments from regular customers saying “but you’re closed”

Followed by comments from Khmers asking “when are you paying our salaries?”

What is going on there, is it still owned by the “OneCoin” guys?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is Sharky bar open or closed and do they owe staff back pay?

Post by Kenr »

Definitely closed.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

The post was definitely new yesterday. Whether or not it was posted yesterday or just stuck in an approval queue for three months I don't know.

Was definitely unexpected and I wouldn't be surprised if they screwed their staff when they closed.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

They’ve definitely been closed for the past few months. I can’t remember exactly when I went to check them out the first time, but did go there a few times since I got here in November and never open.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Saw that post too.

Sharkey has been dead since the day after Mike's funeral

The subsequent remodel made it look like a bus station public urinal

Bland and boring, with shit food and insufferable cunts stinking the gaf out with cheap cigars sold at a premium while talentless porcine songstresses from Manila stank the place in another manner
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

I thought the last owner was Thai. If Chris Bean was still with us, he could enlighten us.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

canucklhead wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:36 pm I thought the last owner was Thai. If Chris Bean was still with us, he could enlighten us.
I suspect his time there was not good for his health, running those places is a young man's game.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:13 pm
canucklhead wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:36 pm I thought the last owner was Thai. If Chris Bean was still with us, he could enlighten us.
I suspect his time there was not good for his health, running those places is a young man's game.
The entire staff walked out there one night due to non payment of salary when Chris was managing the place.
Ian
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ian »

Rode past Sharkeys last night and saw lights on and a security guard sitting behind the closed front door. Also see that Shanghai is open again too.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Shanghai was a relatively plush looking place way back, with some nice seating and plants etc outside. Now it's zombie central around there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic