Is Sharky bar open or closed and do they owe staff back pay?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is Sharky bar open or closed and do they owe staff back pay?

Post by Kenr »

This place is funny. Ever since I got here it stated online that it was open, but going by there a few times to check it out, and going to Fatboys, it was closed.

Now that it is open, it states online that it is temporarily closed.

Think they need an HR division. LOL
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Post by Freebirdzz »

Kenr wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:31 pm This place is funny. Ever since I got here it stated online that it was open, but going by there a few times to check it out, and going to Fatboys, it was closed.

What's the status of Fatboy's these days? I haven't been there in a very long time.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Freebirdzz wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:26 am
Kenr wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:31 pm This place is funny. Ever since I got here it stated online that it was open, but going by there a few times to check it out, and going to Fatboys, it was closed.

What's the status of Fatboy's these days? I haven't been there in a very long time.
it looks like they are still going strong. Kind of on the pricey side, but I get a craving for it every now and then. They are good.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

There's nothing more unappealing than a huge bar that's virtually empty. It needs a minimum of 40 people to look even remotely busy, and that's a tough ask these days and especially when the place has so little going for it.

When I got here in 2017 Sharkey's was the go-to place on Friday nights, and you were lucky to get a table passed 9pm if you had a group of 4-8 people.

I can't see it ever attracting such crowds again, everyone seems to be dying or leaving PP.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:09 am F
When I got here in 2017 Sharkey's was the go-to place on Friday nights, and you were lucky to get a table passed 9pm if you had a group of 4-8 people.

Considering it was well into its decline already by 2017 and had its decor and atmosphere totally destroyed the previous year - ust goes to show how far it has fallen
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I went there back in the day, was friendly with some members of the band Stiff little punks so went to see them a few times. Those stairs were hellacious after a session.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:11 am

Considering it was well into its decline already by 2017 and had its decor and atmosphere totally destroyed the previous year - ust goes to show how far it has fallen
The refurb from hell was after 2017. This was when they changed the orientation of the bar and make it smaller, a total disaster. They had this daft idea of a cigar room and the decor was red everything (iirc). Plus the toilets never worked from the start. They got completely ripped off.

Prior to that it was tatty but had a lived-in feel. It didn't look like it had been refurbed in recent years.

It's a shame, I liked the place but I know I missed its heyday by many years. I also missed Walkabout completely.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:21 am

The refurb from hell was after 2017. This was when they changed the orientation of the bar and make it smaller, a total disaster. They had this daft idea of a cigar room and the decor was red everything (iirc). Plus the toilets never worked from the start. They got completely ripped off.

Prior to that it was tatty but had a lived-in feel. It didn't look like it had been refurbed in recent years.

It's a shame, I liked the place but I know I missed its heyday by many years. I also missed Walkabout completely.
Definitely missed the peak Walkabout as well. It was good for a few drinks after your night out, my worst being drinks at Noon in Walkabout that was a continuation of the prior evening. I decided to go home at that point, a mate decided to try to keep it going into the next night- didn’t end well.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Considering it was well into its decline already by 2002 * and had its decor and atmosphere totally destroyed the previous year - ust goes to show how far it has fallen
Ftfy.

*Was it not around 2002 (?) when all the Khmer staff went on strike and Big Mike decided it was time to gentrify the place in keeping with the new customer demographic (which encouraged Shanghai to also prudently change their business model) ?

Cue an older hand to note that it was already spoiled in the 90s.

In reality, we all accept places as they are when we first encounter them and use that as the yardstick we judge them by.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic