Going to Vietnam with VN plate moto

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Going to Vietnam with VN plate moto

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello all,

I'm thinking about making a trip to Vietnam soon and am aware that there are a certain number of motos around that actually have a Vietnamese license plate.

I'm wondering if it's possible to actually take one of these motos and drive them over the border, and then continue using it on the other side? Has any one heard of this and is it possible?

Thanks...
Kuyavic
Tourist
Switzerland

Re: Going to Vietnam with VN plate moto

Post by Kuyavic »

I crossed the border to VN on my VN-plated scooter several times (at Ha Tien and back at Moc Bai, Chau Doc and Ha Tien), last time in December 2019. There was never any mention of the motorbike, no problem. If there are fixers telling you otherwise, ignore them.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:09 pm Hello all,

I'm thinking about making a trip to Vietnam soon and am aware that there are a certain number of motos around that actually have a Vietnamese license plate.

I'm wondering if it's possible to actually take one of these motos and drive them over the border, and then continue using it on the other side? Has any one heard of this and is it possible?

Thanks...
Easy peasy so long as you have the viet blue card, which is the bikes registration
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kuyavic wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:05 am I crossed the border to VN on my VN-plated scooter several times (at Ha Tien and back at Moc Bai, Chau Doc and Ha Tien), last time in December 2019. There was never any mention of the motorbike, no problem. If there are fixers telling you otherwise, ignore them.
Thank you Kuyavic. Did you have the blue Vietnamese registration card that Jerry Atrick mentioned? Or were you ever asked for that while driving in Vietnam? That would be important to know before buying a moto like that.
Kuyavic
Tourist
Switzerland

Post by Kuyavic »

I can't remember that I ever had to show the blue card in VN except of course needed it when selling them (I'm on my 3rd now, all VN-plated). Never got stopped by the police in VN.
I have been using my bikes mostly in Cambodia. The trips to VN amounted to a total of 2 or 3 months.
When stopped by the police in Cambodia, the card or plate was never a thing.
The only time I needed the blue card in Cambodia was when I recently shipped it by VET from SR to PP.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kuyavic wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:05 am I crossed the border to VN on my VN-plated scooter several times (at Ha Tien and back at Moc Bai, Chau Doc and Ha Tien), last time in December 2019. There was never any mention of the motorbike, no problem. If there are fixers telling you otherwise, ignore them.
I'm thinking about crossing back in to Cambodia at Chau Doc (or the one near there). Is that possible to do by land? It seems that it's mostly a crossing for boats.
Kuyavic
Tourist
Switzerland

Post by Kuyavic »

I don't know about that. I crossed the border 25 km SW of Chau Doc at Tịnh Biên, then on road 2 to PP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic