Girls, Weed & Music!!!! Could 9

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Girls, Weed & Music!!!! Could 9

Post by Khmu Nation »

I might add for the sake of fairness I also tried to find any academic articles supporting the statement that Marijuana is not addictive. This is what I came up with:

*tumbleweeds*

I'm perfectly happy to change my opinion on this subject by the way. However the evidence strongly points to marijuana being both addictive and harmful. I deal in truth. Not hippie bullshit.

Good day to you, sir.

:hattip:
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:40 am
Cooldude wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:19 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:27 pm There are a load of academic articles on marijuana addiction out there - but I guess all the neuroscientists, doctors and PHD holders who have gathered data, studied and written about this subject don't know what they're talking about then.

Thanks for informing me. But why don't you try a better defense and support of your claim that goes against all current scientific data on the subject, rather than bang on about nicotine. Go on. Have a go. Cite a few research papers. Show me your workings.
Please cite your research papers and show us your workings to support your claim.
Sure. Obviously the below papers, which is about 0.00001% of research on this subject are wrong cos 'marijuana isnt addictive man'. This dude oricha says so. And so do you. In fact the below papers are *sotto Otto The Bus Driver* 'a conspiracy man, no doubt paid for by the alcohol industry and the government cos they scared dude, they scared of the weed man, no more wars, world peace, everyone needs to blaze a fatty, yeah dude.'

Kim, Tong Won. Social factors and marijuana addiction: a causal structural model. The Florida State University, 1991.

Sofuoglu, M., Sugarman, D.E. and Carroll, K.M., 2010. Cognitive function as an emerging treatment target for marijuana addiction. Experimental and clinical psychopharmacology, 18(2), p.109.

Miller, N.S., Oberbarnscheidt, T. and Gold, M.S., 2017. Marijuana addictive disorders and DSM-5 substance-related disorders. Journal of Addiction Studies & Therapy, 11, pp.2-8.

Choi, J., Jung, H.T. and Choi, J., 2021. Marijuana addiction prediction models by gender in young adults using random forest. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), 25(2).

Gardner, Eliot L. "Marijuana addiction and CNS reward-related events." In The Biology of Marijuana, pp. 95-129. CRC Press, 2002.

Stuyt, Elizabeth. "The problem with the current high potency THC marijuana from the perspective of an addiction psychiatrist." Missouri medicine 115, no. 6 (2018): 482.

Marijuana: Its health hazard and therapeutic potentials
JAMA, 246 (1981), pp. 1823-1827

Marijuana: Its health hazard and therapeutic potentials
Psychiatric News, JAMA, 246 (1981, April 17), pp. 1823-1827

J.C. Anthony
Young adult marijuana use in relation to antecedent misbehaviors
National Institute on Drug Abuse Research Monograph No. 55, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Rockville, MD (1984), pp. 238-244
Google Scholar
Barratt et al., 1974

Medical aspects of marijuana abuse
Psychiatry Letter, 1 (2) (1983, February), pp. 1-4
(Fair Oaks Hospital)
View in ScopusGoogle Scholar
Buffum, 1982
J. Buffum

Cerebral atrophy in young cannabis smokers
Lancet, 7736 (1971), pp. 1219-1221
Google Scholar
Cocores, 1987

Co-addiction: The silent epidemic
Psychiatry Letter, 5 (2) (1987), pp. 5-8
(Fair Oaks Hospital)

Cone et al., 1986
E.J. Cone, R.E. Johnson, J.D. Moore, J.D. Roache
Acute effects of smoking marijuana on hormones, subjective effects and performance in male human subjects
Pharmacology Biochemistry & Behavior, 24 (1986), pp. 1749-1754

Excretion patterns of cannabinoid metabolites after last use in a group of chronic users
Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 38 (1985), pp. 572-578

Psychiatric presentations of marijuana abuse
Psychiatric Annals, 16 (1986), pp. 221-224
View article CrossRefView in ScopusGoogle Scholar
Fehr and Kalant, 1981

K. Fehr, H. Kalant
Long-term effects of cannabis on cerebral functions: A review of the clinical and experimental literature
K. Fehr, H. Kalant (Eds.), Cannabis and health hazards, Proceedings of the ARF/WHO Scientific Meeting on Adverse Health and Behavioral Consequences of Cannabis Use, The Addiction Research Foundation, Toronto (1981, 1983)

Foltin, 1986
R.W. Foltin
Marijuana effects and behavioral contingencies
National Institute on Drug Abuse Research Monograph No. 67 (1986), pp. 355-361

Substance induced organic mental disorders
R.E. Hales, A.J. Frances (Eds.), Psychiatry update, American Psychiatric Association Press, Washington, DC (1985), pp. 227-240

Developmental and generational trends in alcohol, cannabis and tobacco use — A ten year cohort analysis
Drug & Alcohol Dependence, 10 (1982), pp. 303-320

Goodstadt et al., 1986
M.S. Goodstadt, G.C. Chan, M.A. Sheppard, J.C. Cleve
Factors associated with cannabis nonuse and cessation of use: Between and within survey replications of findings
Addictive Behaviors, 11 (1986), pp. 275-286

Goodstadt et al., 1984
M.S. Goodstadt, M.A. Sheppard, G.C. Chan
Nonuse and cessation of cannabis use: Neglected foci of drug education
Addictive Behaviors, 9 (1984), pp. 21-31

D.W. Goodwin
Psychiatric diagnosis
(3rd ed.), Oxford University Press, New York (1984)

Hanneuz and Hindmarsh, 1983
J. Hanneuz, T. Hindmarsh
Neurological and neuroradiological examination of chronic cannabis smokers
Annals of Neurology, 13 (1983), pp. 207-210

Harris et al., 1977
L.S. Harris, W.L. Dewey, R.K. Razdan
Cannabis: Its chemistry, pharmacology, and toxicology
W.R. Martin (Ed.), Drug addiction, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1977)

Harris and Lester, 1986
D.W. Harris, D. Lester
Marijuana use and personality
Psychological Reports, 58 (1986), p. 338

High School Seniors' Drug Abuse: 1975–1986, NIDA Capsule No. 23, National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information, Rockville, MD (1987, March)
Google Scholar
Hoffman, 1983
F.G. Hoffman

The addictive potential of cannabis
Bulletin on Narcotics, 33 (2) (1981), pp. 21-31

Klalodney et al., 1974
R.C. Klalodney, W.H. Masters, K.M. Kolodner, G. Toro
Depression of plasma testosterone levels after chronic, intensive marijuana use
New England Journal of Medicine, 290 (1974), p. 873

Effects of acute cannabis use and short term deprivation on plasma prolactin and dopamine-beta-hydroxylase in long-term users
Drug & Alcohol Dependence, 3 (1982), pp. 251-255

Miller, N.S., Gold, M.S., & Klahr, A. (in press). The diagnosis of alcohol and cannabis dependence in cocaine dependence. Advances in Alcohol and Substance Abuse.
Google Scholar
Murray, 1986
G.F. Murray

Marijuana use and social control: A sociological perspective on deviance
International Journal of the Addictions, 21 (6) (1986), pp. 657-669
View article CrossRefView in ScopusGoogle Scholar

Psychiatric effects of cannabis use
K.O. Fehr, H. Kalant (Eds.), Adverse health and behavioral consequences of cannabis use, Working papers for the ARF/WHO Scientific Meeting (1981)
Toronto
Negrete, 1974
J.C. Negrete

Psychological adverse effects of cannabis smoking: A tentative classification
Canadian Medical Association Journal, 108 (1973), p. 195

Cannabis psychosis in young psychiatric inpatients
British Journal of Addiction, 81 (1986), pp. 419-423

Schwartz, 1986
R.H. Schwartz
Middle-class adolescent daily marijuana users: Demographic behavioral and scholastic characteristics
American Journal of Diseases of Children, 140 (1986), pp. 326-327

T.E. Smith
Ecology of adolescents' marijuana abuse
International Journal of the Addictions, 20 (1985), pp. 1421-1428

Psychiatric effects of cannabis use
Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 72 (1985), pp. 209-217

Turkanis and Karlev, 1981
S.A. Turkanis, R. Karlev
Electrophysiologic properties of the cannabinoid
Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 21 (1981), pp. 4495-4635

Verebey et al., 1986
K. Verebey, M.S. Gold, S.J. Mulé
Laboratory testing in the diagnosis of marijuana intoxication and withdrawal
Psychiatric Annals, 16 (1986), pp. 235-241

Weckowicz et al., 1977
T.E. Weckowicz, G. Collier, L. Spreng
Field dependence, cognitive functions, personality traits and social values in heavy cannabis users and nonuser controls
Psychological Reports, 41 (1977), pp. 291-302

Wert and Raulin, 1986
R.C. Wert, M.L. Raulin
The chronic cerebral effects of cannabis use. II. Psychological findings and conclusions
International Journal of the Addictions, 21 (1986), pp. 629-642

West, 1970
L.G. West
On the marijuana problem

Polen MR, Sidney S, Tekawa IS, Sadler M, Friedman D. 1993. “Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco.” The Western Journal of Medicine 158:596-601.

Tashkin DP, Coulson AH, Clark VA, Simmons M, Bourque LB, Duann S, Spivey GH, Gong H. 1987. “Respiratory symptoms and lung function in habitual, heavy smokers of marijuana alone, smokers of marijuana and tobacco, smokers of tobacco alone, and nonsmokers.” American Review of Respiratory Disease 135:205-216.

Ammenheuser MM, Berenson AB, Babiak AE, Singleton CR, Whorton EB Jr. 1998. “Frequencies of hprt mutant lymphocytes in marijuana-smoking mothers and their newborns.” Mutation Research 403:55-64.

Sidney S, Quesenberry CP Jr, Friedman GD, Tekawa IS. 1997. “Marijuana use and cancer incidence (California, United States).” Cancer Cause and Control 8:722-728.

Institute of Medicine. 1999. Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, pp. 59-68.

Barbers RG, Gong HJ, Tashkin DP, Oishsi J, Wallace JM. 1987. “Differential examination of bronchoalveolar lavage cells in tobacco cigarette and marijuana smokers.” American Review of Respiratory Disease 135:1271-1275.

10. Institute of Medicine. Marijuana and Medicine, pp. 112-113.

Dreher MC, Nugent K, Hudgins R. 1994. “Prenatal marijuana exposure and neonatal outcomes in Jamaica: An ethnographic study.” Pediatrics 93:254-260.

Fried, PA. 1995. “The Ottawa Prenatal Prospective Study (OPPS): Methodological issues and findings.” Life Sciences 56:2159-2168.

American Psychiatric Association. 1994. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV). Fourth edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.

Haney M, Ward AS, Comer SD, Foltin RW, Fischman MW. 1999. “Abstinence symptoms following oral THC administration in humans.” Psychopharmacology 141:385-404.

Childers SR, Breivogel CS. 1998. “Cannabis and endogenous cannabinoid systems.” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 51:173-187.

Jones, RT, Benowitz N, Bachman J. 1976. “Clinical studies of tolerance and dependence.” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 282:221-239.

Bailey SL, Flewelling RL, Rachal JV. 1992. “Predicting continued use of marijuana among adolescents: The relative influence of drug-specific and social context factors.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 33:51-66.

Crowley TJ, Macdonald MJ, Whitmore EA, Mikulich SK. 1998. “Cannabis dependence, withdrawal, and reinforcing effects among adolescents with conduct symptoms and substance use disorders.” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 50:27-37.

Lyons MJ, Toomey R, Meyer JM, Green AI, Eisen SA, Goldberg J, True WR, Tsuang MT. 1997. “How do genes influence marijuana use? The role of subjective effects.” Addiction 92:409-417.

Kendler SA and Prescott CA. 1998. “Cannabis use, abuse, and dependence in a population-based sample of female twins.” American Journal of Psychiatry 155:1016.

Anthony JD, Warner LA, Kessler RC. 1994. “Comparative epidemiology of dependence on tobacco, alcohol, controlled substances and inhalants: Basic findings from the National Comorbidity Survey.” Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 2:244-268.

Robins LN and Regier DA, eds. 1991. Psychiatric Disorders in America: The Epidemiologic Catchment Area Study. New York: Free Press.
As with any studies of this nature, all you have to do is follow the money. These studies aren't cheap and whoever paid for the study is going to get the exact results that they paid for.
You could combine all of these findings, add a five dollar bill and go get yourself a pre roll at one of your favorite dispensaries.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the biggest problem to weed addiction and if its harmful or not is lack of funds to do research on the subject

One thing is for sure
the countries in the world that allow it an the states in the US where it is legal, show NO increase in medical or social problems because of weed smoking

YET the research done on alcohol an tobacco by far agrees they are harmful
I'l stick with smoking weed
:-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:40 am Sure. Obviously the below papers, which is about 0.00001% of research on this subject are wrong cos 'marijuana isnt addictive man'. This dude oricha says so. And so do you. In fact the below papers are *sotto Otto The Bus Driver* 'a conspiracy man, no doubt paid for by the alcohol industry and the government cos they scared dude, they scared of the weed man, no more wars, world peace, everyone needs to blaze a fatty, yeah dude.'
Cooldude wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:11 pm As with any studies of this nature, all you have to do is follow the money. These studies aren't cheap and whoever paid for the study is going to get the exact results that they paid for.
You could combine all of these findings, add a five dollar bill and go get yourself a pre roll at one of your favorite dispensaries.
Easy Otto.

:dm:

End of conversation.

My god.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:11 pm

YET the research done on alcohol an tobacco by far agrees they are harmful
I'l stick with smoking weed
:-)
Ah, the strawman retort. No one is saying alcohol and tobacco aren't more harmful. All I am talking about here is marijuana and I'm stating that marijuana is addictive as well as bad for health. This statement is backed up by about 100 citations from academic papers. I could probably find a thousand. Oh but wait - 'you just have to follow the money man' those academic researchers are being paid by the man' etc. I can also back it up through personal experience and anecdote but I wont bore you with them as they lack gravitas - unlike academic study.

I have nothing against marijuana, or its emerging legality which I believe to be a good thing. I do, however, have something against (middle aged) stoners claiming marijuana is not addictive or harmful. You're wrong. Science backs me up. Of course you have the right to smoke mary jane man all day every day. But at least be aware of what you are getting into. Same with any drug. I'm amazed that there are still people out there that truly believe marijuana is just a herb. It is such a dated outlook and so wrong in the face of modern data.

Anyway, there's no point having this discussion with people like you or any other stoner. It's like debating with teenagers, which of course is your emotional age. You know best. You're right. Now off you go. That Pink Floyd album isnt going to play itself.

Us (us, us, us, us) and them (them, them, them, them)....

:please:
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:26 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:40 am Sure. Obviously the below papers, which is about 0.00001% of research on this subject are wrong cos 'marijuana isnt addictive man'. This dude oricha says so. And so do you. In fact the below papers are *sotto Otto The Bus Driver* 'a conspiracy man, no doubt paid for by the alcohol industry and the government cos they scared dude, they scared of the weed man, no more wars, world peace, everyone needs to blaze a fatty, yeah dude.'
Cooldude wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:11 pm As with any studies of this nature, all you have to do is follow the money. These studies aren't cheap and whoever paid for the study is going to get the exact results that they paid for.
Easy Otto.

:dm:

End of conversation.

My god.
Hit a nerve, did I?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

No nerve hit. You dismissed a load of academic research with the classic stoner defense - its a conspiracy man, thats what they want you to think, etc.

Marijuana is addictive.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be legal - it should be legal.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:27 pm No nerve hit. You dismissed a load of academic research with the classic stoner defense - its a conspiracy man, thats what they want you to think, etc.

Marijuana is addictive.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be legal - it should be legal.
I never said anywhere here that I consumed cannabis.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Well, data from 25+ years to 50 years ago isn't the sharpest tool to make an opinion, when it comes to study something - usually with the help of technology (which is evolving faster every year), is it ?
Sounds like someone is stuck in the past, glued in his views, and too lazy to dust them off.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I hope you're not adressing me. All those links are recent. Stating marijuana is non addictive and harmless is a daft as Refer Madness in the 1940s.

I can understand, and tolerate, a 20 year old announcing marijuana is harmless dude. But anyone over 30? Or over 60 in the case if some of you losers.

Fucking grow up.

Shit man.

Wafting through life on that stinking stuff.

Pathetic.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic