Anxious British Hotelier Seeking Advice on Starting a Hostess Bar in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jo smo
Tourist

Anxious British Hotelier Seeking Advice on Starting a Hostess Bar in Phnom Penh

Post by jo smo »

Greetings Cambodian enthusiasts! I'm a British gentleman currently running a hotel in London. As intriguing as it may sound, I've been entertaining the idea of moving to Cambodia, particularly Phnom Penh, to start a new venture – a hostess bar! However, I must admit that I'm feeling a bit nervous and stressed about this potential leap into the unknown. I'm hoping that you lovely people might be able to provide some guidance and advice on the matter.

Firstly, I'm curious about the process of setting up a hostess bar in Phnom Penh. How easy or difficult is it to navigate the legal procedures, such as acquiring licenses and permits? Are there any specific regulations or requirements I should be aware of?

Secondly, I'd like to know more about selecting an appropriate location for the bar. Are there particular areas in Phnom Penh that are more suitable or popular for hostess bars? What factors should I consider while scouting for the perfect spot?

Moving on, I'm also concerned about staffing the bar. How do I go about recruiting reliable, friendly, and professional hostesses? Are there any local customs or expectations I should be mindful of when it comes to employee management and compensation?

Speaking of finances, I'm quite keen to get a rough estimate of the initial investment and ongoing costs associated with running a hostess bar in Phnom Penh. This includes rent, utilities, staff salaries, and other miscellaneous expenses. I understand that the cost of living is generally lower in Cambodia compared to London, but I'd like to have a clearer picture before taking the plunge.

I'd appreciate any insights into the competition and current market conditions for hostess bars in Phnom Penh. Is the market saturated, or is there still room for a newcomer like myself to carve out a niche?

Lastly, I must confess that I'm a bit apprehensive about cultural differences and potential language barriers. How open are the locals to foreigners running businesses like hostess bars? Are there any cultural nuances or sensitivities that I should be aware of to ensure a harmonious relationship with the community?

I wholeheartedly appreciate any advice, suggestions, or anecdotes that you might be willing to share. The thought of starting a new life and business in Cambodia both excites and terrifies me, and your input will surely help ease my nerves. Thank you very much in advance!

Yours nervously,
Jo
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Anxious British Hotelier Seeking Advice on Starting a Hostess Bar in Phnom Penh

Post by Alex »

How much time have you've spent in Phnom Penh already? And when you were visiting hostess bars, what in particular was it that made you think that you'd enjoy running one yourself? I'm trying to figure out if you see this as a business endeavor or as a hobby.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Anxious British Hotelier Seeking Advice on Starting a Hostess Bar in Phnom Penh

Post by Random Dude »

Not trying to be a downer or anything here, I know what it's like when you're looking into taking a huge new direction in life like getting into a business, and all the skeptics and miserable people pour shit on your ideas, often simply because it's something they could never see themselves doing.

That being said though, I'd personally never even think about investing money in something like that unless I'd spent a year or so on the ground working in the industry, or a similar industry at least, having a good idea of how things work and having some good local connections.

It's a business I know next to nothing about, but I imagine it would often depend a lot on who you know rather than what the rules and regulations apparently are.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

jo smo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 am Greetings Cambodian enthusiasts! I'm a British gentleman currently running a hotel in London. As intriguing as it may sound, I've been entertaining the idea of moving to Cambodia, particularly Phnom Penh, to start a new venture – a hostess bar! However, I must admit that I'm feeling a bit nervous and stressed about this potential leap into the unknown. I'm hoping that you lovely people might be able to provide some guidance and advice on the matter.

Firstly, I'm curious about the process of setting up a hostess bar in Phnom Penh. How easy or difficult is it to navigate the legal procedures, such as acquiring licenses and permits? Are there any specific regulations or requirements I should be aware of?

Secondly, I'd like to know more about selecting an appropriate location for the bar. Are there particular areas in Phnom Penh that are more suitable or popular for hostess bars? What factors should I consider while scouting for the perfect spot?

Moving on, I'm also concerned about staffing the bar. How do I go about recruiting reliable, friendly, and professional hostesses? Are there any local customs or expectations I should be mindful of when it comes to employee management and compensation?

Speaking of finances, I'm quite keen to get a rough estimate of the initial investment and ongoing costs associated with running a hostess bar in Phnom Penh. This includes rent, utilities, staff salaries, and other miscellaneous expenses. I understand that the cost of living is generally lower in Cambodia compared to London, but I'd like to have a clearer picture before taking the plunge.

I'd appreciate any insights into the competition and current market conditions for hostess bars in Phnom Penh. Is the market saturated, or is there still room for a newcomer like myself to carve out a niche?

Lastly, I must confess that I'm a bit apprehensive about cultural differences and potential language barriers. How open are the locals to foreigners running businesses like hostess bars? Are there any cultural nuances or sensitivities that I should be aware of to ensure a harmonious relationship with the community?

I wholeheartedly appreciate any advice, suggestions, or anecdotes that you might be willing to share. The thought of starting a new life and business in Cambodia both excites and terrifies me, and your input will surely help ease my nerves. Thank you very much in advance!

Yours nervously,
Jo
IT is very easy to make a million dollar with a hostess bar in phnom penh:

start with 2 million dollar !!!
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Nervous, stressed, concerned, apprehensive. Business in Cambodia is not for you for now.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Specialize in fat :

1-Many hookers are on a meth-base diet : fat is rare
2-Being overweight is often seen as a sign of opulence : fat is rich
3-No more running-away girls from the customer or the boss : fat is convenient
4-Bingo if you display fat white chicks : lard is revered, very little muslims here.
Here's some fatty boom boom pussy for you
Spoiler:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

OP - you know how to run a hotel.

Come to Cambodia for a few months and see how things are from the ground.

Running a hotel might be a lot easier for you then running a hostess bar.

You need to know the ins and outs of running a bar with the added hassle of managing hostesses.

That being said, there is at least one member here that does manage hostess bars, so it is possible.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Rather than just another hostess bar, with your experience within the hotel industry why not go into the hotel industry with a fishbowl. The rooms could be all just short time rooms, or you could target sex-tourists wanting accomodation and a nice lady without the hassles of going to find one. How about a promo offering a room with a different young lady each night/day/hour?

On the other hand, why get your hands dirty dealing with bar girls. You could follow a previously run business model of a pub full of freelancers. Just like the old Walkabout (search the Internet for pics). You would just be the publican. The girls are freelancers who hang out at your pub playing pool.

:beer3:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

On premise sex would invite a used condom police raid. It is technically against the law in Cambodia. Hence, barfines.

I’d wait for Jah Steu’s opinion on starting a hostess bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

WOW the members on here must be mellowing out, I thought you would get slated for your post.
you actually received some good advise.

you have been to Cambodia, right? For a holiday? Do you even know if you could live there or anywhere in Asia for an extended time no matter what you do for a living?

judging by your questions you have done zero investigation into this venture.

Absolutely, get on a plane, commit and live there for a while and get a feel for the lay of the land before you part with serious money, you'll never be able to do it from the other side of the world. There's a million hostess bars and a billion hostesses in a different world to ours

You're lucky in that your experience is something you could probably put to use , mine not so much. I'm also gearing up for a life change but eying Vietnam although that country seems more complicated to settle in.
I recently did a 2 month trip to test the waters and I reckon I could live in Asian....probably. Even 2 months is a holiday period.

I also found Cambodia this time to be more expensive than Vietnam and Thailand with average food, IMO

Do it, do it, all the best to you
Even the ugly ones
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic