Anxious British Hotelier Seeking Advice on Starting a Hostess Bar in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Anxious British Hotelier Seeking Advice on Starting a Hostess Bar in Phnom Penh

Post by Darkcel »

No offense, I stopped reading at hostess bar.

Do not come here to do that, you'll piss away every cent you've saved. Maybe take a sabbatical from work? Come visit for a month or two and then really take some inner reflection and think about how bad of an idea it would of been.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Anxious British Hotelier Seeking Advice on Starting a Hostess Bar in Phnom Penh

Post by phuketrichard »

Chat GPT ?

Of all the businesses in the world, why would anyone in their right mind, contemplate to open a business that relies on uneducated ladies of the night?

let the games begin
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

jo smo, you have the experience to start and run a backpackers accommodation in PP. I know there is always derogatory remarks made about backpackers but as with any group of people there are good and bad. My observations of the Onederz hostel since its startup just a few years ago, is that there is a wide age range and types of travellers that stay there, not just backpackers. Since Onederz started in their purpose built new building they have been very busy but this could be because of their good location.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... Qx6BAgJEAE

I think there is still opportunities for another 5 star backpackers accommodation [ Flashpackers ] if you found the right location.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:34 am jo smo, you have the experience to start and run a backpackers accommodation in PP. I know there is always derogatory remarks made about backpackers but as with any group of people there are good and bad. My observations of the Onederz hostel since its startup just a few years ago, is that there is a wide age range and types of travellers that stay there, not just backpackers. Since Onederz started in their purpose built new building they have been very busy but this could be because of their good location.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... Qx6BAgJEAE

I think there is still opportunities for another 5 star backpackers accommodation [ Flashpackers ] if you found the right location.
This could be worth looking into if the OP is actually looking to start a business... or is the OP just looking for a hobby?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I am a hotelier as well and I have actually worked in Cambodia for a few years. I would not go near the girlie bar business. Takes a lot more than knowing the hotel business.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Alex wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:02 am How much time have you've spent in Phnom Penh already? And when you were visiting hostess bars, what in particular was it that made you think that you'd enjoy running one yourself? I'm trying to figure out if you see this as a business endeavor or as a hobby.
Like tripling your working hours and no holidays in sight and your are the boss.
Boredom is like a shroud
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Voodoo Saloon on Street 104 is for sale.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Just another wind-up, and a fairly obvious one.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 am Just another wind-up
You say that whenever anyone posts anything remotely interesting.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

RONEV wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:21 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 am Just another wind-up
You say that whenever anyone posts anything remotely interesting.
If it's that interesting, then why haven't you chimed in with help, advice and support?

Maybe you posted it to see how many got suckered in?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic