SEA Games 2023 - Schools to close

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: SEA Games 2023 - Schools to close

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Crackers wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:11 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:52 pm The school my kids go to isn't closing any of their locations, they confirmed this morning

It's only a recommendation - no school is compelled to follow it
This is simply not correct. There is no indication at this point that it's just a recommendation. It currently exists as a directive. Many schools are merely waiting for clarification before they make official announcements about what they will do in terms of teachong/learning during that period.

Crackers
Well, that's info from the Principal of my kids school, so I hope he doesn't pull an about face. . .
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:52 pm The school my kids go to isn't closing any of their locations, they confirmed this morning

The Ministry of Education has confirmed that while Cambodia will host the 32nd SEA Games and the 12th ASEAN Para Games, which will be held from May 5- 17, and in order to participate in maintaining order and security and support the events, the Ministry would like to recommend:

1. Early childhood education and early childhood education services, primary schools, general secondary schools and public technical education are all required to take a major vacation from April 20, to May 18.
Clear as mud.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

We got told yesterday we are closing, today was told we will stay open.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Soriya wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:20 pm

We got told yesterday we are closing, today was told we will stay open.
:ROFL:
Classic Cambodian govt communication
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

FFS! Was just chatting to the kids and they've been told by their teachers that they will be learning online...no official notice from the school relayed to parents yet though. Thankfully kids were gifted laptops when we recently paid their annual school fees.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

FFS indeed. Had I known, I’d have planned to be back in Cambodia, and we could all have gone away for a proper holiday. Instead, I’m in Europe.

Filling political positions with buffoons who meddle and make big decisions, rather than important ones?
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

I would expect an update today, after the weekend has given time for rumination and a reality check
bona eek
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bona eek »

My kids' school, based in central PP, intends to remain operational with in-person learning during the period according to an announcement posted last Friday.
"I'm consumed with apathy"
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

bona eek wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:49 am My kids' school, based in central PP, intends to remain operational with in-person learning during the period according to an announcement posted last Friday.
I know of a couple of other schools which are remaining open also. Both of them are for primary and young learner aged kids. I think most of these will remain open. It mostly affects high school and university students from what I can gather. Which again goes back to the theory that it's about getting enough volunteers.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
bona eek
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bona eek »

xandreu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:17 am
bona eek wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:49 am My kids' school, based in central PP, intends to remain operational with in-person learning during the period according to an announcement posted last Friday.
I know of a couple of other schools which are remaining open also. Both of them are for primary and young learner aged kids. I think most of these will remain open. It mostly affects high school and university students from what I can gather. Which again goes back to the theory that it's about getting enough volunteers.
Perhaps - but one of my kids is in grade 9 so...

There are so many theories doing the rounds - one colleague reckons it is an attempt also to reset the government schools' academic year to reset the term schedule, disrupted even to the end of 2022, back to what it was before COVID. Who knows - massive miscommunication whatever the thinking...
"I'm consumed with apathy"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic