Rowdy Youths Chase Monks into River

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Rowdy Youths Chase Monks into River

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kandal): On 20 March 2023, four young hoodlums were arrested by the Koh Thom district police force, and will be sent to court charged with aggravated violence against monks in a pagoda, and chasing them into a river.
ImageImage
Four youths arrested were two Cambodians and two Vietnamese:
-14-year-old Sambath Vinsong,
-19-year-old Sambath Vinsung,
- 17 years old Nguyen Yang Loeung
- 20 years old Nguyen Yang You.

Wat Khemarak Reachkaram, also known as Wat Bak Nam, where the events took place, is near the Vietnamese border in Bak Nam village, Prek Chrey commune, Koh Thom district, Kandal province.

The police inspector said that in the past, the monks had often made complaints against the group of youths who played football in the pagoda, rode in on their motorbikes, set off fireworks in the grounds, and did not listen when the monks told them off.
ImageImage
Then, on the evening of 17 March, two of the youths rode into the pagoda with a motorcycle and a knife, threatening the monks and shouting at them saying that they would beat any monk who reported their behaviour to the police. The next night, the four youths rode into the pagoda on motorbikes, waving a machete, and they chased the four monks who were sitting in front of the pagoda, until they jumped into the river to escape.
The suspects drove off, but the monks complained to police, who arrested the four 'badboys" on 19 March 2023.
ImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Rowdy Youths Chase Monks into River

Post by Ghostwriter »

Launch the punisher !
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I'm getting desperate at this stage, can I list the monk as wearing a Holland football shirt & add him to the tally?! Criminals have no style these days.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

The fact that this made the news goes to show what a rare occurrence this type of thing is in Cambodia. There is no way this would have made the news in my country. People have to deal with gangs of unruly teenage boys on street corners every day of the week, and the police couldn't care less.

The fact that Cambodia isn't overrun with these types of people, and there is a much stronger sense of community, humility and respect for your fellow man, even by the majority of teenage boys, is often mentioned when people ask me why I choose to live here.

There are always exceptions however. Such as this.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

In the western world clergy are often ridiculed as pedophiles and religion as a means of brainwashing. There is a complete lack of respect.

Part of the reason the western world is a culture in decline.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

xandreu wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:42 pm The fact that this made the news goes to show what a rare occurrence this type of thing is in Cambodia. There is no way this would have made the news in my country. People have to deal with gangs of unruly teenage boys on street corners every day of the week, and the police couldn't care less.

The fact that Cambodia isn't overrun with these types of people, and there is a much stronger sense of community, humility and respect for your fellow man, even by the majority of teenage boys, is often mentioned when people ask me why I choose to live here.

There are always exceptions however. Such as this.
I take it you don't get out to province much
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:14 pm In the western world clergy are often ridiculed as pedophiles and religion as a means of brainwashing. There is a complete lack of respect.
Part of the reason the western world is a culture in decline.
Just my opinion, of course.
Well maybe it's because there are AS MANY pedos in the clergy as in other religions, but at least the western people have a better chance to tell about it and complain and get someone sued for that stuff.
Try to ridicule a pedo imam as a pedo in a muslim country, see how it goes ^^

Isn't religion a mean of brainwashing anyway nowadays ? Except for a few pertinent advices here and there, the holy books are mainly stuffed with brainwashing stuff in general.

So on which side is the lack of respect, since like, thousands of years ?

"Sent from an Iphone" : how is lecturing the west on a phone with a notoriously bad reputation when it comes to respect (factory workers, consumers...) is going for you anyway ? Paradoxal much ?

Pffft...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Next week it'll be Rowdy Monks Chase Youths into River.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic