Trump to be Arrested on Tuesday.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Trump to be Arrested on Tuesday.

Post by xandreu »

I don't really follow US politics much and don't really have a strong opinion on Trump one way or the other. He comes across as someone totally devoid of modesty, decorum and self awareness when he speaks, but I prefer to judge politicians on their actions rather than their character. Not being American, I'm not fully aware of his domestic achievements whilst he was president. As for international achievements, he didn't start any wars, which is pretty good going for a US president.

However, anyone who says this isn't politically motivated is a little naive if you ask me. His alleged payments date back to 2015. That's eight years ago. Why bring him to book now? Perhaps they didn't want to prosecute him while he was in office, I get that, but they could have built the case against him whilst he was in office and charged him as soon as he left. Why wait until now to charge him? There's only one reason as far as I can see. Because it's hoped that it will damage his re-election. The charges against him may or may not be politically motivated, but the timing certainly is.

It seems to me that someone built this case against Trump and decided to sit on it until it was clear that he would run for re-election, then use it against him to damage his chances.

Which is political corruption on a scale previously only seen in countries that shall remain nameless.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

xandreu wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:19 pm I don't really follow US politics much and don't really have a strong opinion on Trump one way or the other. He comes across as someone totally devoid of modesty, decorum and self awareness when he speaks, but I prefer to judge politicians on their actions rather than their character. Not being American, I'm not fully aware of his domestic achievements whilst he was president. As for international achievements, he didn't start any wars, which is pretty good going for a US president.

However, anyone who says this isn't politically motivated is a little naive if you ask me. His alleged payments date back to 2015. That's eight years ago. Why bring him to book now? Perhaps they didn't want to prosecute him while he was in office, I get that, but they could have built the case against him whilst he was in office and charged him as soon as he left. Why wait until now to charge him? There's only one reason as far as I can see. Because it's hoped that it will damage his re-election. The charges against him may or may not be politically motivated, but the timing certainly is.

It seems to me that someone built this case against Trump and decided to sit on it until it was clear that he would run for re-election, then use it against him to damage his chances.

Which is political corruption on a scale previously only seen in countries that shall remain nameless.
Don’t mean to correct you, but the payments were made in 2016, while he was running for POTUS. And I stand corrected about a previous statement I made, it wasn’t learned until 2018, while he was POTUS, when his attorney, Michael Cohen, went to prison for one (1) of the related instances. And convening a grand jury for a sitting President would also be considered political.

The issue is not about the payments themselves, but it’s about why the payments were made and how they were paid, and the fact that Trump falsified his business records in order to reduce his tax liability when he reimbursed his attorney the hush money through his business.

But given the fact that these incidents occurred in 2006, why did he wait until 2016 to make the payoff to Stormy Daniels? It definitely wasn’t done to shield it from his wife, in fact Cohen stated that Trump told him to delay making the payment until after the election if he could so he could get out of paying anything, because it wouldn’t matter then. And while he was POTUS there is nothing that could be done to him through the courts.

What this had to do with is he committed fraud on his taxes, all the charges on the indictment are for falsifying business records. So how is that political? Politicians can get away with cheating on their taxes? I don’t think so.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cases like this can stretch out for years
add in his base will be still behind him an good chance he will get the nomination

can you imagine the laughing stock america will become ( as if its not already one) if
GOD FORBID, he fucking wins??

so you will have a sitting president being tired for a crime>>> My god,made for tv
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:00 pm cases like this can stretch out for years
add in his base will be still behind him an good chance he will get the nomination

can you imagine the laughing stock america will become ( as if its not already one) if

so you will have a sitting president being tired for a crime>>> My god,made for tv
I think that some, or all, of the other much more serious charges he's likely to face will happen way before he's back in court for this one again, and they'll be real attention grabbers and the ones he's probably really shitting his pants over.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:04 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:24 am
Random Dude wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:17 am
crob wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:23 am is it bad that I don't understand why it's illegal to pay 'hush money' to your former hookers, isn't that just a cost of business?
From what I understand the payment itself isn't the problem, the issue is that he did it in a way that ripped off the taxman, making it tax fraud, which will bring heat on you anywhere in the world.
Yep. They're gonna pull a 'Capone' on him.
For a rather minor, if sleazy, infraction.

Still, this should be fun to watch.

I thought there would be more pickups.

"Tie me down to anthill and cover me in jam, Mary-Sue-Loose! I thought I done told you to wait in the truck!"
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:41 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:04 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:24 am
Random Dude wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:17 am
crob wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:23 am is it bad that I don't understand why it's illegal to pay 'hush money' to your former hookers, isn't that just a cost of business?
From what I understand the payment itself isn't the problem, the issue is that he did it in a way that ripped off the taxman, making it tax fraud, which will bring heat on you anywhere in the world.
Yep. They're gonna pull a 'Capone' on him.
For a rather minor, if sleazy, infraction.

Still, this should be fun to watch.

I thought there would be more pickups.

"Tie me down to anthill and cover me in jam, Mary-Sue-Loose! I thought I done told you to wait in the truck!"
Wow! Nice stereotyping.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:00 pm can you imagine the laughing stock america will become ( as if its not already one) if

Dude, their current "President" can't form a single coherent fucking sentence and their harpy diversity-hire Vice-President cackles incessantly like a hysterical mental patient every time she tries to speak followed by meaningless word salad. Plus the US "Department of Justice" under the Biden/Harris administration now only prosecutes crimes based on political patronage.

And you think the US "will become a laughing stock"? Two years too late.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Still better than the previous administration and their daily rhetoric.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Kenr wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:33 am Still better than the previous administration and their daily rhetoric.
Really? Wow have another glass of Kool Aid.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

IF he wins, and IF the case is still ongoing, could he pardon himself?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic