Help! I lost my US passport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Help! I lost my US passport

Post by SEAdude »

Has anyone on this forum had this happen? I lost a computer bag with all my IDs, money and computer.

I was able to print out and complete DS-11 and ds-64

I have pics of my valid passport, my old drivers license on a cloud drive and have printed them out.

I heard you have to make an appointment for passport stuf on the website but that part is broken.

So should I just show up at the us embassy??

Wow, what a mess this feels like. I have been here 5 years and always dreaded loosing this.

Thanks for any help/tips in advance.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Help! I lost my US passport

Post by Random Dude »

Give your embassy a call, they'll be able to tell you what you need to do.

If it's any consolation an American guy I worked with once had his stolen, it was probably a nuisance but no real problem getting it replaced.
abcdeteacherKOW
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by abcdeteacherKOW »

Bus to Phnom Penh 10$
Tuktuk to embassy: 2.50
Passport reissue: 130$
Tuk tuk to bus: free if you stayed in a 15$ hotel that night
Bus home: 12$

Not sure about fees/fines for lost entry document or lost visa.

I had a new passport issued when I first got here.

First available appt was a month out. Then I returned to SR and they delivered it here in around ten days.

You need an appointment unless you are near death like myself, and just need a temp to get you back to the USA. Then you can just show up to the window without an appt.

This was their guidance to me. I'm in the same situation.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

first, Make a police report.
No big deal,embassy is used to its citizens losing/washing their passports :-)

When i "lost"my passport back in India in 1975, i had no copies, no id, but knew my passport number>
went to embassy and gave them the number an they told me they had no record of such number/passport had existed.
than it got fun
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

First things first...get an official Police Report from the police in the area where your passport was lost/stolen.

Then get new passport or Emergency Travel Document.

Once you've got your new passport or ETD, you need to go to the DoI Visa office in Pochentong, PP (across the road from PP Airport), with:

- Local Police Report
- Report of lost/stolen/damaged passport from Embassy or National Passport Department
- New passport
- 1x passport sizes pic
- Copy of previous passport bio-page and Visa EOS (if you have)

You will then need need to apply for an Exit Visa, $30 and valid for 7 days, then leave the country within those 7 days, then return on a new Visa.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SEAdude wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:31 am Has anyone on this forum had this happen? I lost a computer bag with all my IDs, money and computer.

I was able to print out and complete DS-11 and ds-64

I have pics of my valid passport, my old drivers license on a cloud drive and have printed them out.

I heard you have to make an appointment for passport stuf on the website but that part is broken.

So should I just show up at the us embassy??

Wow, what a mess this feels like. I have been here 5 years and always dreaded loosing this.

Thanks for any help/tips in advance.
Was your bag "lost", i.e. you left it in a tuktuk, or was it stolen?

If it is the former, go to your Embassy. There is a decent chance that someone has found it and taken it to the Embassy for the passport holder, in your case the US embassy. I would, and I can't think of any of my friends who wouldn't do the same. The vast majority of people are decent and any expat that found it would be well aware of the nightmare of a lost passport.

The computer and the money may not be so lucky, but you never know...
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

I think they will give you two options. One is a standard ten day passport that costs about $130 and takes two weeks to issue. they will email you in two weeks and then you go back and pick it up.

Next option is a limited passport that is only good for a year I think. I don't know what it costs or whether you can only use it to fly back to the USA or if some countries won't accept it. They can issue this in 24-ish hours buy if you went down this route then you'd have to buy the limited/emergency passport and then buy a regular one to replace it like 6 months later.

If you don't have any imminent flights or necessary travel coming up in the next few weeks, I'd recommend the first option.

Note that the US Embassy doesn't accept slightly torn US dollars.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

It seems that almost every day I read a post on Facebook or forums about someone losing or having their passport stolen.

Unless absolutely necessary, leave your passport secured at home or whatever accommodation you are staying at. You are not required to carry your passport with you at all times, a good idea is to make a small copy and have it laminated and just carry that, as well as having a digital copy backed up.

If you do need to leave your house with your passport, keep it in a ziploc bag (to protect it from the elements), in a secure pocket of your clothing...not in a bag which could be snatched, or lost when you decide to have too much to drink on the way home.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:07 pm It seems that almost every day I read a post on Facebook or forums about someone losing or having their passport stolen.

Unless absolutely necessary, leave your passport secured at home or whatever accommodation you are staying at. You are not required to carry your passport with you at all times, a good idea is to make a small copy and have it laminated and just carry that, as well as having a digital copy backed up.

If you do need to leave your house with your passport, keep it in a ziploc bag (to protect it from the elements), in a secure pocket of your clothing...not in a bag which could be snatched, or lost when you decide to have too much to drink on the way home.
I never understood that mentality of going out for daily activities with a five inches thick wallet containing ID documents, ATM, credit cards and $500. In cash and pictures of the college girlfriend.
Boredom is like a shroud
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:07 pm It seems that almost every day I read a post on Facebook or forums about someone losing or having their passport stolen.

I think some people live in shitty apartments where documents would be less secure than carrying them around in a bag on their shoulder.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic