Help! I lost my US passport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Help! I lost my US passport

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

SEAdude wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:44 am I know that this needs to be done at DoI Visa office in Pochentong, PP (across the road from PP Airport).
Has anyone done this process? I got mixed reviews from google maps. Just wondering what others have experienced.
Simple....take the documents as I mentioned earlier, arrive early, dress appropriately (not in shorts, flip flops and wife beater), be polite, respectful & patient, don't show any signs of frustration or anger. You'll have to fill out a form, submit that with your passport and copies of police report, etc., pay the fee, get receipt, then go back in 1 or 2 days to collect.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bjjN47LDo3ftSYQ39
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:04 pm
SEAdude wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:44 am I know that this needs to be done at DoI Visa office in Pochentong, PP (across the road from PP Airport).
Has anyone done this process? I got mixed reviews from google maps. Just wondering what others have experienced.
Simple....take the documents as I mentioned earlier, arrive early, dress appropriately (not in shorts, flip flops and wife beater), be polite, respectful & patient, don't show any signs of frustration or anger. You'll have to fill out a form, submit that with your passport and copies of police report, etc., pay the fee, get receipt, then go back in 1 or 2 days to collect.

Do you still have to walk through that phone booth thing in the doorway that sprays your entire body with disinfectant? Good times.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

RONEV wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:42 pm

Do you still have to walk through that phone booth thing in the doorway that sprays your entire body with disinfectant? Good times.
No but if you let them know that you are coming they will enroll the red carpet for your visit.
Boredom is like a shroud
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

SEAdude wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:41 pm Update 2: getting a police report

Ok, as much as I thought this was going to be super easy it turned out to be the hardest part .. maybe that's because I live up street 2004 with my girlfriend's family near airport in the Khmer only hood.

Anyway I went to what I thought was supposed to be a district which is literally 0.9 miles away and it wasn't. No one spoke English.I walked in the sergeant (or whatever you call these dudes) had some hottie hanging out.
Totally look like I was interrupting something and he didn't seem happy about it. He definitely didn't want to give me a police report at least at that time and place! Luckily someone pulled up on motor bike and spoke English.

I explained to him the details and he said you got the wrong district even though it's just 0.9 miles away. So we started going around looking for other districts with me on the back of his Honda dream. Finally after going to numerous alleys of slate and shale that almost gave him a flat or caused him to wreck the bike that's going to what looks like a shack where again some old dude was sitting in a dimly lit room with no windows. The guy greats him and gives him the gist of my situation. I call my girlfriend and talk to her for a second and for some reason I give the phone to the old man police officer thinking she was going to get me out of some trouble...

But this wasn't trouble I was trying to get out of, rather a police report for the lost passport.

Finally I am taken to a room in the back and a guy finds the correct piece of paper to copy the lost passport on a dinky inkjet printer.

He starts asking me all kinds of questions as to why I lost my passport and I told him if I knew that I wouldn't have lost it. This while the other guy starts asking me if I'm CIA!?? I'm not really sure if it was a joking if he was serious cuz he never actually started laughing but I did.

Anyway with all kidding aside and after a few different guys come in through throught the small room grabbing AK-47s out of the out of the safe in the back I finally got my report and was out of there like a bat out of hell... Back thru the shale alleys to the other district where we came from before.

Then that was that I paid the dude 10 bucks for his time and I moved on there's a couple details I left out for personal reasons but it was really an experience worth seeing or definitely worth and avoiding, I'm not still sure yet I'm trying to process it all.. anyway thanks for reading and I hope this helps!
It sounds like you may have gone to the district police office rather than the commune/sangkat. According to Cambodian procedure, you have to file your complaint in the commune where you claim the crime took place.
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SEAdude »

Hi PSD-Kiwi,

My Cambodian visa was good till the end of May 2023. If I were to have someone pickup my passport from the us embassy and bring it up to Siem reap, is there some time limit I have to be at DoI Visa office at Phnom Penh or can I relax until it is closer to the end of the visa 1 year expiration? Btw, I don't have a photo of the visa, however I am certain the immigration office can look up my old passport and see the details as well. Thanks for your wisdom here PSD-Kiwi.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:57 pm
SEAdude wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:41 pm Update 2: getting a police report

Ok, as much as I thought this was going to be super easy it turned out to be the hardest part .. maybe that's because I live up street 2004 with my girlfriend's family near airport in the Khmer only hood.

Anyway I went to what I thought was supposed to be a district which is literally 0.9 miles away and it wasn't. No one spoke English.I walked in the sergeant (or whatever you call these dudes) had some hottie hanging out.
Totally look like I was interrupting something and he didn't seem happy about it. He definitely didn't want to give me a police report at least at that time and place! Luckily someone pulled up on motor bike and spoke English.

I explained to him the details and he said you got the wrong district even though it's just 0.9 miles away. So we started going around looking for other districts with me on the back of his Honda dream. Finally after going to numerous alleys of slate and shale that almost gave him a flat or caused him to wreck the bike that's going to what looks like a shack where again some old dude was sitting in a dimly lit room with no windows. The guy greats him and gives him the gist of my situation. I call my girlfriend and talk to her for a second and for some reason I give the phone to the old man police officer thinking she was going to get me out of some trouble...

But this wasn't trouble I was trying to get out of, rather a police report for the lost passport.

Finally I am taken to a room in the back and a guy finds the correct piece of paper to copy the lost passport on a dinky inkjet printer.

He starts asking me all kinds of questions as to why I lost my passport and I told him if I knew that I wouldn't have lost it. This while the other guy starts asking me if I'm CIA!?? I'm not really sure if it was a joking if he was serious cuz he never actually started laughing but I did.

Anyway with all kidding aside and after a few different guys come in through throught the small room grabbing AK-47s out of the out of the safe in the back I finally got my report and was out of there like a bat out of hell... Back thru the shale alleys to the other district where we came from before.

Then that was that I paid the dude 10 bucks for his time and I moved on there's a couple details I left out for personal reasons but it was really an experience worth seeing or definitely worth and avoiding, I'm not still sure yet I'm trying to process it all.. anyway thanks for reading and I hope this helps!
It sounds like you may have gone to the district police office rather than the commune/sangkat. According to Cambodian procedure, you have to file your complaint in the commune where you claim the crime took place.
Never claim u were robbed ( crime) claim it was lost
Unless you were robbed by gunpoint and "lost" ur passport, you could go to any police station and file ur report,
after all how would you know 100% where you "lost" it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:18 am
Never claim u were robbed ( crime) claim it was lost
Unless you were robbed by gunpoint and "lost" ur passport, you could go to any police station and file ur report,
after all how would you know 100% where you "lost" it
Right, say it was lost. Nevertheless, they will be quite fussy about this. They will attempt to determine where you lost it and then if they think it wasn't in their commune they'll try to send you somewhere else. It's not uncommon for the police to simply try to avoid providing a service.
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Post by Freebirdzz »

This insistence on a police report to replace a lost passport is bullsh*t. Why can’t the citizen just attest to his embassy that it was lost? There’s really no crime to report, this is a waste of police resources and an unnecessary burden on the citizen to require such jumping through hoops
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freebirdzz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:58 pm This insistence on a police report to replace a lost passport is bullsh*t. Why can’t the citizen just attest to his embassy that it was lost? There’s really no crime to report, this is a waste of police resources and an unnecessary burden on the citizen to require such jumping through hoops
The police report is for the Cambodian Department of Immigration.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

SEAdude wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:04 am
My Cambodian visa was good till the end of May 2023. If I were to have someone pickup my passport from the us embassy and bring it up to Siem reap, is there some time limit I have to be at DoI Visa office at Phnom Penh or can I relax until it is closer to the end of the visa 1 year expiration? Btw, I don't have a photo of the visa, however I am certain the immigration office can look up my old passport and see the details as well. Thanks for your wisdom here PSD-Kiwi.
Personally, I would want to get it sorted ASAP rather than wait.

Yes all your Visa EOS information is in the DoI database, so technically they should just be able to issue you a replacement rather than make you pay for an Exit Visa, leave and then come back on a new Visa, but very rarely do they actually do this, T.I.C.

It may be worth approaching one of the "reputable" visa agencies in SR, it may be possible that they can sort things out without you needing to go to PP, get an Exit Visa, leave then return...it has been done in the past, but not sure whether still possible. Easy Travel & Tours are probably your best bet since the owners husband is the CO of the DoI in SR.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic