Rip off tales

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rip off tales

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:52 am
JReb wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:20 pm Boring Laos sounds pretty good after all the broke tourists in PP and SR...or just go to my pool..
I think it depends on what you're looking for.

If you want bars, freelancers, city bustle, drugs, international cuisine, Burger King and a wide circle of expat friends you can sit about with sucking on beers and cigarettes whilst talking about currency exchange rates, bitcoin, land value, up to date visa rumors, world current affairs in between bragging about your various business dealings back home and how you know the best mechanic/barber/pizza place/taxi driver/etc and how much of an old timer you are before your girlfriend, who is only two years younger than your daughter back home, comes to collect your sorry alcoholic ass and ferry you back to your condo (the best condo in the city BTW) then, yeah, Laos is some fucking boring as bullshit backwater.

If you want somewhere quiet, uncongested, unpolluted, real easy to live in terms of stay permits with no significant barfly expat scene, no drama and fairly straight forward locals who aren't out to fleece you every time you get your wallet out then, yeah, its a good place.

Each to their own as they say.

Maybe I'm just not a big city person anymore. Dunno.
So, where's the first place you described?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 pm
cabron wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:37 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:40 pm I am in Hanoi for the weekend doing a visa run. I just got a motorbike taxi (xe om) back from that lake to my hotel. It took about 10 minutes. About 3km.

The dude wanted 500,000 VND! Ha ha ha. That's $20!

I told him no so he went for 200,000 VND. Ha ha ha.

I told him to fuck himself. Địt mẹ mày! Then he got the arse with me. So he got nothing.

The taxi driver from the airport wanted1.5million VND as well. He got 700,000 VND - which is still to much.

I hate this country. I fucking hate it.
One have to do is home work before going to VT. First thing is to use Vina Sun taxi or Linh Taxi only the ride from the airport to center ( district 1) ref Caravelle hotel is $7.00 .
A 30 hour taxi ride from Hanoi to District 1 for $7? That is a good price. Thanks for the heads up dude.
Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:15 pm
truffledog wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:07 pm Its hard words to hate a full nation just because some transport sharks tried to rip you off.
I was using SGN / District 1 as reference. The same practice apply for at Hanoi airport use Vina Sun or Mai Linh taxi the ride near the lake will cost you $13.00.

I lived in Saigon for 8 years and came across this bullshit all the time. Hundreds of examples.

But alright, snowflake, just for you:

I'm generalizing here.

There are many lovely Vietnamese people too.

Happy?
Boredom is like a shroud
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

JReb wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:20 pm Boring Laos sounds pretty good after all the broke tourists in PP and SR...or just go to my pool..

If you want bars, freelancers, city bustle, drugs, international cuisine, Burger King and a wide circle of expat friends you can sit about with sucking on beers and cigarettes whilst talking about currency exchange rates, bitcoin, land value, up to date visa rumors, world current affairs in between bragging about your various business dealings back home and how you know the best mechanic/barber/pizza place/taxi driver/etc and how much of an old timer you are before your girlfriend, who is only two years younger than your daughter back home, comes to collect your sorry alcoholic ass and ferry you back to your condo (the best condo in the city BTW) then, yeah, Laos is some fucking boring as bullshit backwater.

If you want somewhere quiet, uncongested, unpolluted, real easy to live in terms of stay permits with no significant barfly expat scene, no drama and fairly straight forward locals who aren't out to fleece you every time you get your wallet out then, yeah, its a good place.

If stay permits in Laos are as easy as you say, then why did you have to go to Vietnam for a visa run? That doesn't make sense to me.

Unpolluted? In your dreams!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:58 am

If stay permits in Laos are as easy as you say, then why did you have to go to Vietnam for a visa run? That doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like someone needs a hug...
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Alex wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:58 am

Fair points.

Its the first time I have had to do it in 6 years.

Less polluted.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:52 am I think it depends on what you're looking for.

I completely agree with Laos beeing a great country. Its always been on my short list for retirement.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

truffledog wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:06 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:52 am I think it depends on what you're looking for.

I completely agree with Laos beeing a great country. Its always been on my short list for retirement.
Unlike say Cambodia and Thailand, Laos doesn't have a proper retirement visa scheme. People seem to use a business visa to retire there, with a certain amount of fake documents and greasing the wheels required. Much like in "rip-off Vietnam" in this regard, funnily enough. Maybe our OP can elaborate on the cost and process.
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

Speaking of rip offs.
Seems like the Uber algorhithm or whatever is going berserk in Argentina.
The proposed prices for a ride are getting outlandisher by the day!
Yesterday i had to travel to an intersection, 7km away in order to clandestinely get my hands on some vape liquids.

Uber proposed 5400, the 5600 Ar$, which is, depending on how yout got your pesos 16-28 USd.
Took a cab instead. You have to always be careful with them, monitor the meter, google maps or whaze for control. It cost me about 4 USd !

Damn weird. I wonder if Uber has started to go nuts in other countries as well?

BTW: Argentina had an inflation of 6.6% for february, extrapolated 100.2% for 2023.
Maybe that has something to do with Uber's algos confusion?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

If you really like a place, it seems a bit unwise to try to convince random strangers on an internet forum that it's a great place. Next thing you know, they and all their drunken friends might just show up and ruin the place, sort of like what happened to Vang Vieng back in the day.

With regard to Laos, I always post "Whatever you do, don't go to Laos" in order to discourage rather than encourage.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:47 pm

If you really like a place, it seems a bit unwise to try to convince random strangers on an internet forum that it's a great place. Next thing you know, they and all their drunken friends might just show up and ruin the place, sort of like what happened to Vang Vieng back in the day.

With regard to Laos, I always post "Whatever you do, don't go to Laos" in order to discourage rather than encourage.
Well he discouraged half the people visiting Camodia: gamblers and sextourists.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic