Riel Day 2023 to be Celebrated This Sunday

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Riel Day 2023 to be Celebrated This Sunday

Post by John Bingham »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:48 pm With ABA/Acleda QR domination, the notes are somewhat obsolete nowadays.
Yes, except for the hundreds of thousands of small business owners/ sellers who only use cash. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I useally change my dollars in riels at kandal market on 144 and was surprised lately i get several 100.000 overthere, but i always ask for tomtom, if not, you get a bunsh of 20.000 if you change 200 dollars . . .
They look indeed like the 10.000s, i useally keep them apart when i hit the darker watering holes. If the girls overthere see 100.000s they fall instantly in love with you !!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Old, torn Riel banknotes can be exchanged for new Riel banknotes for free on the occasion underlined the NBC, adding that the public is welcome to join the event free of charge.
- AKP
That would imply that on a normal day old, torn Riel banknotes cannot be exchanged for new Riel banknotes for free
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:21 pm
Spigzy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:48 pm With ABA/Acleda QR domination, the notes are somewhat obsolete nowadays.
Yes, except for the hundreds of thousands of small business owners/ sellers who only use cash. :?
Even the local "mjoo" sellers are on ABA now, I got stared at for paying one in cash the other day, I felt dirty.. :nono:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

March 20, 2023
NBC celebrates 43rd anniversary of riel reintroduction

In a bid to more inclusively raise public awareness on the usage of the national currency, the National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) hosted a seminar on ‘Riel, Financial Literacy and Bakong’ at the Center for Banking Studies today.

While talking at the event attended by top bank officials and industry leaders from chambers of commerce, financial institutions, universities and microfinance sectors, Chea Serey, Deputy Governor of the NBC, reiterated the significance of promoting the use of riel across the country.
“It is also an occasion to mark the 43rd anniversary of the re-introduction of riel,” Serey said.
-Khmer Times
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville Shops Who Refuse 100 Riel Notes Get "Educated"
Cambodia News, (Sihanoukville): Mr. Ek Sophon, Branch Manager of the National Bank of Cambodia in Preah Sihanouk Province, said that recently, a professional officer from the bank has had to visit some traders who were refusing to accept 100 Riel banknotes and educate them.
After receiving multiple complaints about this from Sihanoukville residents, in collaboration with Sihanoukville administration officials, the bank official went to explain, educate and guide the relevant traders. After which, the businessmen admitted their mistakes and promised to participate in the circulation of 100 Riel banknotes as usual.

At the same time, the National Bank of Cambodia, Sihanoukville Branch, would like to announce to the public and traders that in case they have a large amount of 100 riel notes, these can be exchanged for larger banknotes such as 500 Riel, 1000 Riel, 10,000 Riel. etc., at no charge at the Sihanoukville Branch of the National Bank of Cambodia every working day.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Those 100 Riel notes are annoyingly small in value. I'm sure I'm not alone in just chucking them all in a drawer until there's at least a few thousand of them. The recent introduction of the 200 Riel note should go some way to alleviating this issue.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:15 am Those 100 Riel notes are annoyingly small in value. I'm sure I'm not alone in just chucking them all in a drawer until there's at least a few thousand of them. The recent introduction of the 200 Riel note should go some way to alleviating this issue.
I have yet to see a 200 Riel note. Or a 100,000 note for that matter. 100 Riel notes are used to pay at 7/11.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:15 am Those 100 Riel notes are annoyingly small in value. I'm sure I'm not alone in just chucking them all in a drawer until there's at least a few thousand of them. The recent introduction of the 200 Riel note should go some way to alleviating this issue.
I generally add any 100 riels I have on hand to the next tip I give a PassApp driver, they seem quite happy to accept them
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic