New Vietnam draft law to offer 3-month e-visa

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New Vietnam draft law to offer 3-month e-visa

Post by sigmoid »

They're still trying to figure out how to keep the "illegal English teachers" out :wave:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

VN Express has published a screen shot and relevant details of the e-visa process. Answers most of my questions above, except for the alleged insurance thing. It is still worth going to the link, which has a helpful government issued graphic of the application form.

Strangely enough, it was published the last hour of Aug. 14. Never saw it, even the next day:

Headline: Applying for Vietnamese e-visa from Aug 15
Vietnam is granting 90-day e-visas for all countries and territories from Aug. 15 and here are some information you should take notes for smooth application.
Non-nationals can access the e-visa web portal of the Vietnam Immigration Department at https://www.immigration.gov.vn or the National Public Service Portal of the Ministry of Public Security at https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/ to apply.

All information regarding the trip, including intended date of entry and length of stay in Vietnam, intended port of entry and departure, and intended temporary residential address in Vietnam must be given.

In the e-visa request information category, foreigners select single-entry visa or multiple-entry based on the purpose of their trip.

The form requires information from the passport data page, and images of the page and passport photo must be uploaded.
Graphic and more info in link, and it's worth reading the comments, especially about the problems paying:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/app ... 42009.html
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Thanks for taking the time and keeping us very up to date. The 45 days visa waiver is already a big thing.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Are you using the Official Site or an Agent for the 90-day Vietnam Visa ?

Sent from my SM-T570 using Tapatalk

cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:52 pm VN Express has published a screen shot and relevant details of the e-visa process. Answers most of my questions above, except for the alleged insurance thing. It is still worth going to the link, which has a helpful government issued graphic of the application form.

Strangely enough, it was published the last hour of Aug. 14. Never saw it, even the next day:

Headline: Applying for Vietnamese e-visa from Aug 15
Vietnam is granting 90-day e-visas for all countries and territories from Aug. 15 and here are some information you should take notes for smooth application.
Non-nationals can access the e-visa web portal of the Vietnam Immigration Department at https://www.immigration.gov.vn or the National Public Service Portal of the Ministry of Public Security at https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/ to apply.

All information regarding the trip, including intended date of entry and length of stay in Vietnam, intended port of entry and departure, and intended temporary residential address in Vietnam must be given.

In the e-visa request information category, foreigners select single-entry visa or multiple-entry based on the purpose of their trip.

The form requires information from the passport data page, and images of the page and passport photo must be uploaded.
Graphic and more info in link, and it's worth reading the comments, especially about the problems paying:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/app ... 42009.html
This new procedure is a real real nightmare, I think it will be easier to obtain an private Papal audience. Why make it simple when it can be complicated.
Boredom is like a shroud
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

^^^ Endless complaints. As noted by many commenters on various news sites, people are choosing elsewhere because it is so much easier, or giving up completely.

And get this . . .

VN Express reports VN Immigration announced SUNDAY night -- whatever 08:36 pm PT means -- it will cost US$50 for the 90-day visa. 5 days after the starting gun!?!?!? FFS! I can only guess that no one got a 90-day visa the past 5 days because they didn't have a price. To say nothing of all the other problems. Could the authorities not have got their shit together weeks ago? Everything was approved June 24.

It's a complete shambles. As is the coming holiday weekend. Apparently Viet airlines added loads of flights and cut airfares. But hardly anyone is booking. What a "country".

Headline: Multiple-entry visa costs $50: immigration department
A multiple-entry e-visa will cost US$50, double that of a single-entry visa, the Immigration Department has announced.
From August 15, Vietnam has been issuing multiple entry visas valid for up to 90 days in a move to boost its economy and tourism.

But in the absence of information on the immigration department website foreigners were left wondering how much it cost.

The issuance would take three working days, the department said.

People can apply for the e-visa at https://www.immigration.gov.vn and the Ministry of Public Security’s https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/.

Its validity has been extended to 90 days from the previous 30.
Nothing more at the link and the embedded links above look useless:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/mul ... 44153.html

Glad that I had no plans to jet off to VN anytime soon.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

My head was spinning after watching this video by a Vietnamese immigration consultant, a lawyer, by the way. A second viewing was necessary and it seemed clearer. While he gives e-visa application a thumbs down, he does go on to explain the form questions and reasoning behind them.

Tip: You do have to arrive with health insurance << this is the term used by the agent, but I am going to assume travel insurance is fine. The former insurance requirement used to be discretionary on the part of an immigration officer, he says. I was never asked earlier this year nor last on 30-day trips.

Nowhere in his presentation does he reveal his firm's service fees. He does answer commenters queries, most of which are negative about the form's complexity.

Anyway, it is worth watching.

Last edited by ExPenhMan on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

This could be a boost for agents if they can navigate the Visa process for a reasonable added fee.
Last edited by stevenjb on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

Just went to see my local visa agent who has been processing my previous 1 month single entry visas. The cost for the monthly visa was 2.8 million Dong ($183 AUD or $118 USD)which included both Cambodian and Vietnam visas and transport (4 hours up to the Bavet and Moc Bai border stations from Vung Tau and another 4 hours return and up to an hour for processing).
The new cost for the 3 month multi entry visa was 3.4 million Dong ($222 AUD or $143 USD) but a bit cheaper for single entry. I opted for multi entry so I can get over to Bangkok in a few weeks and not worry about paying for new visas.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Kahuna wrote:Just went to see my local visa agent who has been processing my previous 1 month single entry visas. The cost for the monthly visa was 2.8 million Dong ($183 AUD or $118 USD)which included both Cambodian and Vietnam visas and transport (4 hours up to the Bavet and Moc Bai border stations from Vung Tau and another 4 hours return and up to an hour for processing).
The new cost for the 3 month multi entry visa was 3.4 million Dong ($222 AUD or $143 USD) but a bit cheaper for single entry. I opted for multi entry so I can get over to Bangkok in a few weeks and not worry about paying for new visas.
So the agent fee for a 3-month multi is $93 USD.

For 3-month Vietnam Visa about $47/month -- agent and Visa costs

Did you ask the agent if this is a rinse-and-repeat, or does one have to remain out of Vietnam for some time, like the EU Schengen Area Visa rule 90-days in every 180-days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic