what happened to MH 370?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

what happened to MH 370?

Post by phuketrichard »

Putting this here as well, so it gets more visibility than in the "what you watching tv">

9 years on

New netflix 3 part series on MH 370

Beamed up by Aliens ?

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: what happened to MH 370?

Post by xandreu »

I was about to ask 'Haven't they already found bits of it?' when I decided to Google it myself.

Wasn't aware that a fisherman discovered some of the panelling three years after the plane went missing and was used by his wife as an ironing board for five years before anyone realised what it actually was.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 323806.cms

Pilot suicide seems the most likely explanation to me.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

xandreu wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:59 am
While a plausible possible explanation, there is very little to truly make that the most likely explanation. It’s just an explanation that gained traction from some circumstantial evidence. Pilot suicides are rare. Substantially rare enough to make them quite appealing as explanations.
Many possible explanations would likely never have made it to mainstream media as they simply don’t provide enough material to maintain interest for the general public. Additionally, several ‘aviation experts’ put their name to some potentially daft or poorly considered ideas which gave credence to conspiracy at the expense of considering potential reasons for particular actions. (I actually knew one colleague who did so). These things sadly came across as more of a desire for a sound bite than actually providing any true insight.

There’s wild and wacky ideas which are far more interesting than mundane facts. Possibly due to a desire to find some greater meaning for the substantial loss of life. A single person being lost weighed up against one hundred plus. Life is sometimes uncomfortably arbitrary, and at other times what seems like an innocent, innocuous act can have catastrophic consequences.

Armchair theorists will often posit a theory or hypothesis which is later found to be the cause, and will then say ‘I told you that 2 years ago.’ The reality is that final reports actually have to demonstrate and prove the theory, having actually tested all the plausible theories, with evidence obtained over a potentially protracted period.

As much as I have an interest in the case, as do many colleagues, I fear that it will be mainly a rehash of stuff already regurgitated. The actually scientifically sound new data would be worthy of whole science programs all of their own, but would appeal to people only of a scientific bent. Signals analysis, oceanography, deep sea exploration, to name only a few areas. Geek show material. Not really the stuff media viewing figures.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

One of the shittiest Netflix documentaries I've ever watched. They gave way too much time to nonsensical theories such as claiming that the plane was shot down to prevent a particular piece of cargo from reaching China.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I honestly think many people enjoy the fact that nobody knows the answer to such a monumental incident - especially when, in this modern age, most people would have expected a downed airliner to have been found with relative ease, it's blackbox located soon after, and an explanation as to what happened to be published after the ensuing investigation. I think most people assumed that all planes are constantly tracked, with their precise whereabouts known every minute throughout the flight, to the point where, if it were to fall into the sea or crash into land, there would be pinpoint accurate data of exactly where it went down.

I think a lot of people were surprised at just how inaccurate their ideas of how the aviation industry work actually were.

But I stick by the fact that people love a good mystery, and as tragic an event as it was, with such loss of life, for many, to know the actual truth now would either spoil the mystery, or it simply wouldn't be believed.

It would be like someone coming up with concrete evidence as to how the pyramids were built, the true identity of Jack the Ripper or what really happened to Lord Lucan.

It's the not knowing that keeps these stories alive.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:23 pm
xandreu wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:59 am
While a plausible possible explanation, there is very little to truly make that the most likely explanation. It’s just an explanation that gained traction from some circumstantial evidence. Pilot suicides are rare. Substantially rare enough to make them quite appealing as explanations.
I can think of three cases from the top of my head.... Egyptair, Silkair and Germanwings if I recall well. I promise I didn't use Google. I am sure there are more.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what i came away with from the series:
It was an intentional act
The Pilot was not the cause
Nobody knows who was
Nobody knows where it is

The series raise questions and of course, provides no answers. ;-(

How did this guy find so many parts of a 777 plane
https://thecinemaholic.com/blaine-gibso ... verer-now/
and why in part 3 was there a shot of Cambodia ??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

@Xandreu.
Indeed. One expert analysis vocalised by a serving US pilot was regarding how the pilot clearly avoided radar detection. In his opinion. But lacking any actual experience of the type of operation that he was being consulted upon.
The reality is that there are large swathes of the earth which are not under any radar coverage for instance, and navigation procedures work on fairly well established procedures and using existing but much more modern navigation equipment as installed on the aircraft.

The whole saga is so full of misinformed Ideas, conjecture, that when the truth is finally known, it will be unsatisfying.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I think inside the plane were some chinese spies who wanted to trick the elections in the US and the CIA hyjacked it and the airplane is just hiding in Area 51 . . .
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I found it watchable despite it dripping with conspiracy theories.

I do tend toward an accidental downing of the aircraft by people doing practice manoeuvres in the area, but at the same time can’t explain why Malaysian authorities would reach conclusions without satisfactory eveidence - other than thinking they must be as competent as authorities in nearby countries.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic