time to withdraw money from financial institutions here now?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: time to withdraw money from financial institutions here now?

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:01 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:57 am
Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:46 am But that’s not how it works. The FDIC is funded by the banks, it has nothing to do with printing more money.,
I said "At the end of the day". SVB drained the FDIC pot on its own. All the other banks are having to cough up. In the event of multiple failures, the US Treasury would have to pay.
I’m not sure if that’s correct that SVB drained the FDIC on its own.
I want to know how the FDIC has any legal authority to pay anyone over the $250,000 level?

It is supposedly an independent agency with its own constitution/charter and rules etc. So at what point did this agency decide to pay everyone 100% of their deposit and blow the lid on the $250k cap and thereby bail out some very serious investors that maybe should have known better?

I am happy that they did, as without such a bailout depositor flight over many more banks would have ensued last week (I bet it is happening anyway to some degree). However, the FED and the major New York banks can't bail everyone out. Goldmans lost $200m recently on their own account (so far), so losses from Treasuries are affecting them all. To what degree, and the damage being done, is still under wraps - for now.

The volatile markets have hurt even banks that are seen as stronger, with some affected by the yield on the two-year Treasury note falling at its fastest pace since 1987. Goldman lost about $200mn at its trading desk that deals in interest rate products, according to people familiar with the matter. Goldman declined to comment.

https://www.ft.com/content/608cd08d-97f ... 1d57ec3471
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:31 am
Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:01 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:57 am
Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:46 am But that’s not how it works. The FDIC is funded by the banks, it has nothing to do with printing more money.,
I said "At the end of the day". SVB drained the FDIC pot on its own. All the other banks are having to cough up. In the event of multiple failures, the US Treasury would have to pay.
I’m not sure if that’s correct that SVB drained the FDIC on its own.
I want to know how the FDIC has any legal authority to pay anyone over the $250,000 level?

It is supposedly an independent agency with its own constitution/charter and rules etc. So at what point did this agency decide to pay everyone 100% of their deposit and blow the lid on the $250k cap and thereby bail out some very serious investors that maybe should have known better?

I am happy that they did, as without such a bailout depositor flight over many more banks would have ensued last week (I bet it is happening anyway to some degree). However, the FED and the major New York banks can't bail everyone out. Goldmans lost $200m recently on their own account (so far), so losses from Treasuries are affecting them all. To what degree, and the damage being done, is still under wraps - for now.

The volatile markets have hurt even banks that are seen as stronger, with some affected by the yield on the two-year Treasury note falling at its fastest pace since 1987. Goldman lost about $200mn at its trading desk that deals in interest rate products, according to people familiar with the matter. Goldman declined to comment.

https://www.ft.com/content/608cd08d-97f ... 1d57ec3471
I don’t know about any legal authority, and at the same time I don’t believe anyone should have been insured for more than what is required, $250,000. These banks wanted and lobbied for less regulation, and received it, then they should have regulated themselves better. And the 93% of depositors who had over $250,000 in their account should have known better.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit- ... -deposits/

Read the section on formal or informal revocable trusts.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Anyone wanting to keep up to date with all this stuff, follow @DiMartinoBooth on twitter.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:07 pm Anyone wanting to keep up to date with all this stuff, follow @DiMartinoBooth on twitter.

I recommend following this guy if you have the time and patience. He explains everything in detail and easy to understand.

Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

What is something the last three banks that went under had in common? Cryptocurrency.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:46 pm What is something the last three banks that went under had in common? Cryptocurrency.
I thought it was bonds, long and medium term bonds, which were worth less than they were bought for because of the interest hike of the last 12 months.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:59 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:46 pm What is something the last three banks that went under had in common? Cryptocurrency.
I thought it was bonds, long and medium term bonds, which were worth less than they were bought for because of the interest hike of the last 12 months.
This was also my understanding of what led to their downfall.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:59 pm
That was one thing.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

BS
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic