Cost of getting wifi installed

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Cost of getting wifi installed

Post by Londonmail »

The is no phone signal at all...
So wondering how much it would cost to get wifi installed

Thanks
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Cost of getting wifi installed

Post by phuketrichard »

i had metfone fiber installed at my house in Kep
installation,the box and 25 meters of cable was free on a 6 month pr paid contract.
paid for 6, got 7
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Londonmail wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:43 am The is no phone signal at all...

Thanks
Between 15-30 per month for the Wi-Fi. As Richard says, pay 6 months or more and get free install, and an extra month

Depends on where you live and the deals currently on
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Thanks
If there's no phone signal you're so far out I doubt there's the infrastructure to connect you and 25 meter of cable isn't going to suffice.
I think you have zero chance to get wifi installed.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Location would help, PP, Chinaville, Weedpot or out in the sticks? For instance I use Smart, but it has bad indoor coverage at my place at the back of the house, but I put a Smart @Home WiFi box on the front of the house & it is sweet as. Similar suggestion for Metfone if you're out in the sticks. No idea what Cellcard's offering is, probably a referral to Ezecom? Years back I used Ezecom & needed about $150+ to install a connection, no idea what it is nowadays some 15 years later.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 am Location would help, PP, Chinaville, Weedpot or out in the sticks? For instance I use Smart, but it has bad indoor coverage at my place at the back of the house, but I put a Smart @Home WiFi box on the front of the house & it is sweet as. Similar suggestion for Metfone if you're out in the sticks. No idea what Cellcard's offering is, probably a referral to Ezecom? Years back I used Ezecom & needed about $150+ to install a connection, no idea what it is nowadays some 15 years later.
I use Smart, positioned as close to a clear signal as possible. It feeds my own router/storage through cat5, and then I use my router with repeaters.
Smart for the general stuff, my own router for work and backups.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 am

Thanks
If there's no phone signal you're so far out I doubt there's the infrastructure to connect you and 25 meter of cable isn't going to suffice.
A lot of newer boreys have terrible phone coverage (hence why so many boosters which were outlawed last year). most will have Wifi infrastructure. You may not be able to take your pick but at least one will be available.

If just in the middle of nowhere then yes, may struggle
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've used Smart@home in a couple of apartments I've lived in. Obviously, as it works on the 4G network, it depends on where you live as to how good a signal you're going to get. However, in both cases, I found that if you plug the router directly into your computer using either the Ethernet port (if you have one on your computer), or an Ethernet to USB adapter, instead of using the WiFi, the signal is much stronger.

Obviously this doesn't help if you constantly use your laptop in various places around the home. Also doesn't work for your phone. But you can use both at the same time. I had my laptop on a desk most of the time where I used the ethernet, whilst keeping the wifi on for my phone, smart TV etc...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:32 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 am

Thanks
A lot of newer boreys have terrible phone coverage (hence why so many boosters which were outlawed last year). most will have Wifi infrastructure. You may not be able to take your pick but at least one will be available.

If just in the middle of nowhere then yes, may struggle
Maybe. The OP mentioned no service. Not poor service.
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

Just out of riverside in a tuk tuk... You can barley get an SMS out the signal is so bad, at times the neighbors wifi can be used... But they don't like it to be used because it lows them down too much... Probly better off paying them something to stop em moaning about using it.... 😁😁😁

Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic