LCS Hotel - compulsory bedsheet purchase

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

LCS Hotel - compulsory bedsheet purchase

Post by armchairlawyer »

I had a strange experience at this hotel. It's on Riverside near the junction with street 84.

The room cost $37 including a good buiffet breakfast and I have to say it was great value at that price. A solid 4 star hotel with a good river view.

They demand a $100 deposit at check-in, and this must be in cash.

On checkout they asked me to wait while they checked the room. After 10 minutes they said there was a problem. At that moment the maid appeared with that look on her face that Khmers wear when they are going to stiff you and they hate doing it but they're going to have to do it anyway. She was holding a large black plastic bag which contained a wet sheet fresh from the washing cycle of a machine. The receptionist said the sheet was damaged and $32 will be deducted from my deposit. The damage was a faint blue stain that was about 15x15 cm in size. It looked like some printed material had been left on the sheet and a little bit of the ink had leached over to the sheet. The receptionist and her manager were both insistent that the charge was valid and I could see I was going to get nowhere arguing with them. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, probably the maid had missed the stain from a previous checkout and could not contemplate a $32 deduction from her pay. I complained to booking.com. They sounded genuinely outraged but they only make the case to the hotel who of course duly refused to reconsider.

At least I had the presence of mind to demand the bedsheet, which I took to the laundry and the stain is even fainter.

I'm particulaly interested in @hanno thoughts.

If you stay at that hotel, or maybe at any that charge a large deposit, I guess the thing to do is to go find the maid and ensure all is well before you go down to reception.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: LCS Hotel - compulsory bedsheet purchase

Post by Freightdog »

I always thought that this was a scam by shite holes- such as the non existent kettle being missing when you check out.

The idea that they’ve attempted to ‘wash’ the sheet before you’ve even checked out rings like utter bollox. I might be wrong.

But what this means is that the housekeeping were waiting for the exact moment when you left the room, to identify that your particular sheet is in fact stained, requiring an attempt to wash it without even showing you the stain pre-wash.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Google Reviews show a few people with issues getting their deposits back & even claims of deposit being switched for a counterfeit bill.

דרור סביון
2 months ago on Google
1/5
They will already find a way to take the deposit from you, be careful not to give them 100 dollars, after that they will accuse you of dirtying a towel or blanket and will not agree to return the money
Trip typeHoliday

K S
6 months ago on Google
1/5
Do not stay here! You will get scammed!
This hotel scammed us by keeping the US$50 cash deposit for a single "stained" pillowcase (US$7) and duvet cover (US$45!) - this was more than the cost of one night. They could not show us the "stain" and told us they had tried to remove it but the sheets were not even wet. The check out process is very long - it feels as though they are looking for reasons to keep your cash deposit. We were very careful because of the deposit but to no avail. Even if the sheets had been stained, considering the cost of pillowcases and duvet covers in Cambodia, US$52 is excessive.

Gal Savion
2 months ago on Google
1/5
LCS scam
Be careful and do not give a deposit of 100 dollars
Bad Wi-Fi, a bad smell in the room, they will already find an excuse to steal the deposit from you
Trip typeHoliday · Family
Rooms1.0Service1.0Location1.0

Ocean Grand
2 weeks ago on Google
1/5
(Translated by Google) Beware of cambodian fake money.
Cambodia has a high crime rate and foreigners often fall victim to fake money. The phrase “Copy” is written in small letters in the middle, so it is very difficult for foreigners to distinguish it in a short time.
There are numerous reviews of this hotel that have suffered this way. Be extremely careful when getting your hotel deposit money back, as you may receive fake money. The only thing I received for $100 was deposit money at this hotel, but there was fake money. Among the hotels I've been to, this is the only place that requires a deposit, and the Cambodian guide also evaluates it as a very questionable hotel.
Please be careful when visiting Phnom Penh.
(Original)
캄보디아 가짜돈 조심합시다.
캄보다아는 범죄율이 높고 외국인들 가짜돈으로 피해를 보는 경우가 많습니다. Copy라는 문구가 가운데 작게쓰여져 있어 외국인은 짧은시간에 구분하기가 매우 힘듭니다.
이 호텔에서 이런식으로 피해를 보았다는 리뷰가 다수 있습니다. 호텔 deposit money를 돌려 받을때 가짜돈을 받을 수도 있으니 극히 조심해야 합니다. 100불 짜리 받은것은 이호텔 deposit money 밖에 없는데 가짜돈이 있었습니다. 다녀본 호텔중 deposit 요구하는 곳은 이곳 밖에 없었고 캄보디아인 가이드도 매우 수상쩍은 호텔이라고 평가합니다.
프놈펜 방문시 각별 조심 하시기 바랍니다.
Rooms3.0Service1.0Location2.0

Lassaad Hedhili
4 months ago on Google
1/5
(Translated by Google) never leave your valuables in the room safe, we were robbed by the maid with the complicity of the reception. in fact he held a duplicate key to the safe. in the last day $1000 we disappeared and replaced by counterfeit $100 bills...it's an organized gang I won't go back there again
(Original)
ne jamais laisser vos objets de valeurs dans le coffre-fort de la chambre, nous avons été volé par la femme de chambre avec une complicité de la réception . en faite il détenait une double clefs du coffre. au dernier jours 1000$ on disparus et remplacé par des faux billets de 100$...c'est une bande organisé je n'y retournerai plus
Trip typeHoliday · Family
Rooms5.0Service1.0Location3.0
Hotel highlightsLuxury · Romantic · Great value
Read less
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Such a large cash deposit in itself should sound the alarm bells, it seems to serve no other purpose than holding some cash hostage for bogus claims.

Traveling all over Thailand, I occasionally get asked for "key deposits" in the 200 to 1000 baht range. Which is much less and it's never a problem to get it returned. I don't recall ever paying such a deposit in Cambodia.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I had to pay deposit 800-1000 THB few times in Thailand. Once I stained the bed sheet, so they charged me 300 THB for cleaning service.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Chuck Borris wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:30 pm I had to pay deposit 800-1000 THB few times in Thailand. Once I stained the bed sheet, so they charged me 300 THB for cleaning service.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Stayed here twice for quarantine on arrival during Covid restrictions, was the best of all the quarantine hotels I stayed in and I've been recommending it to people since, but won't be anymore based on all these negative reviews
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Report to Department of Tourism or name and shame on Facebook
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

My thoughts: any hotel that asks for a $100 deposit in cash is a hotel I would never stay in. This is the weirdest "business model" I have ever heard of.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I stayed in a hotel in Phuket last year. They didn't require a deposit but they did require a Visa card for any "extras".

When entering the room I noticed on the foot of the bed was a laminated sheet of charges for everything in the room - from the TV (THB15,000) right down to the coffee cups. They clearly have had problems before.

I took this as a polite warning that if you trash the room, this is what it will cost you. Fair enough...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic