LCS Hotel - compulsory bedsheet purchase

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: LCS Hotel - compulsory bedsheet purchase

Post by cabron »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:44 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:43 am This time they refused both of my $100 bills, which were fresh from the Acleda ATM. One had a miniscule tear and the other was declared to be just "old" (it was the new type of note). Later I returned with $300 (different bills, also from Acleda) and these were declared to be old and therefore unacceptable. The guy offered to give me $250 for my $300 in "old" bills.
Why not just make your withdrawals in KHR?
Sure, after all where in Cambodia.
Boredom is like a shroud
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:43 am While we're on the subject of scams, I went to my usual place on the corner of 13/110 to change USD into riel. I have used that place countless times without any problems.

This time they refused both of my $100 bills, which were fresh from the Acleda ATM. One had a miniscule tear and the other was declared to be just "old" (it was the new type of note). Later I returned with $300 (different bills, also from Acleda) and these were declared to be old and therefore unacceptable. The guy offered to give me $250 for my $300 in "old" bills.

I took the same bills across the road to one of the phone shops on 110 and they were accepted.

No change in ownership, same people but a radical change in policy.
Nowadays I just withdraw 380,000 riel instead of $100, which gives me plenty of small change, and I got rid of all the silly scrutinizing of my USD bills that had annoyed the hell out of me before. For any larger transactions I use ABA Pay / KHQR, so that supply of riel lasts me quite a while. I still carry a couple of "extra clean" $100 bills in my wallet just as a fallback, but I haven't had to use them for many months.
Honolulu
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Honolulu »

hanno wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:13 am My thoughts: any hotel that asks for a $100 deposit in cash is a hotel I would never stay in. This is the weirdest "business model" I have ever heard of.
Maybe not in The Kingdom, but plenty of hotels ask for security deposits the world over.
I find it totally underwhelming that, you, being a self-affirmed Hotelier can only offer this pittance as insight to the matter.
Not even an anecdote?
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Post by Freebirdzz »

They undoubtedly demand cash so you can’t dispute the b.s. damages charges with your credit card company.

The hotel must be struggling now that the COVID quarantine gravy train is over.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Honolulu wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:38 am
hanno wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:13 am My thoughts: any hotel that asks for a $100 deposit in cash is a hotel I would never stay in. This is the weirdest "business model" I have ever heard of.
Maybe not in The Kingdom, but plenty of hotels ask for security deposits the world over.
I find it totally underwhelming that, you, being a self-affirmed Hotelier can only offer this pittance as insight to the matter.
Not even an anecdote?
I have worked in hotels for a little while but I cannot remember the last time I worked in a hotel that asked for a cash deposit. Must be 20+ years ago. Admittedly, I have never worked in backpacker hotels or flop houses.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:03 pm
I have worked in hotels for a little while but I cannot remember the last time I worked in a hotel that asked for a cash deposit. Must be 20+ years ago. Admittedly, I have never worked in backpacker hotels or flop houses.
It's not uncommon for lower cost but reputable hotels in the USA to demand a cash deposit only from guests with a local ID. Out of town guests don't have to pay the cash deposit.

Because locals are more likely to trash the rooms, cook meth in the rooms, use the rooms for prostitution, etc.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

I’ve never had to cough up a cash deposit anywhere anytime in the world. I may have had a deposit charge added to my visa - I would not pay much attention to that - but if I did I don’t remember ever having much of a disputed charge.
Stay classy na
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am I stayed in a hotel in Phuket last year. They didn't require a deposit but they did require a Visa card for any "extras".

When entering the room I noticed on the foot of the bed was a laminated sheet of charges for everything in the room - from the TV (THB15,000) right down to the coffee cups. They clearly have had problems before.

I took this as a polite warning that if you trash the room, this is what it will cost you. Fair enough...
I always thought it was a kind of price list in case you want to buy those items... :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic