LCS Hotel - compulsory bedsheet purchase

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: LCS Hotel - compulsory bedsheet purchase

Post by Soyoung123 »

Interesting. I got my deposit back. Agree hotel was great value but absolutely reaks of Cigarettes.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Soyoung123 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:20 am Interesting. I got my deposit back. Agree hotel was great value but absolutely reaks of Cigarettes.
Including inside the rooms?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

hanno wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:13 am My thoughts: any hotel that asks for a $100 deposit in cash is a hotel I would never stay in. This is the weirdest "business model" I have ever heard of.
The Baiyoke Sky in Bangkok demands $100 (3000 THB).
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:34 am
hanno wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:13 am My thoughts: any hotel that asks for a $100 deposit in cash is a hotel I would never stay in. This is the weirdest "business model" I have ever heard of.
The Baiyoke Sky in Bangkok demands $100 (3000 THB).
Yes, I am sure some hotels do this, but personally, I'd go somewhere else.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am I stayed in a hotel in Phuket last year. They didn't require a deposit but they did require a Visa card for any "extras".

When entering the room I noticed on the foot of the bed was a laminated sheet of charges for everything in the room - from the TV (THB15,000) right down to the coffee cups. They clearly have had problems before.

I took this as a polite warning that if you trash the room, this is what it will cost you. Fair enough...
I had a General Manager who did that and I had to tell him to remove the price list. Looks really cheap and the hotel in question was a 4-starr hotel, not a backpacker hostel.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

While we're on the subject of scams, I went to my usual place on the corner of 13/110 to change USD into riel. I have used that place countless times without any problems.

This time they refused both of my $100 bills, which were fresh from the Acleda ATM. One had a miniscule tear and the other was declared to be just "old" (it was the new type of note). Later I returned with $300 (different bills, also from Acleda) and these were declared to be old and therefore unacceptable. The guy offered to give me $250 for my $300 in "old" bills.

I took the same bills across the road to one of the phone shops on 110 and they were accepted.

No change in ownership, same people but a radical change in policy.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

I had to pay $100 deposit with cash or card at Sun & Moon last year, got it back with no issues.
Was a good hotel, but can be a bit expensive at times but I would recommend.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

hanno wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:37 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am I stayed in a hotel in Phuket last year. They didn't require a deposit but they did require a Visa card for any "extras".

When entering the room I noticed on the foot of the bed was a laminated sheet of charges for everything in the room - from the TV (THB15,000) right down to the coffee cups. They clearly have had problems before.

I took this as a polite warning that if you trash the room, this is what it will cost you. Fair enough...
I had a General Manager who did that and I had to tell him to remove the price list. Looks really cheap and the hotel in question was a 4-starr hotel, not a backpacker hostel.
I think some Thai hotels suffer significant losses from their Thai guests. What with the "We Travel Together" government subsidy and some free towels etc from the room, some Thais probably reckon to make a small profit on their holiday.

I noticed in a Bangkok Dusit Thani, a sign saying the bottles of shower gel and shampoo were available for purchase at reception for 500 baht each. The bottles were inside a metal cage but I suppose if you unscrewed the tops you could probably weedle them free.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:43 am This time they refused both of my $100 bills, which were fresh from the Acleda ATM. One had a miniscule tear and the other was declared to be just "old" (it was the new type of note). Later I returned with $300 (different bills, also from Acleda) and these were declared to be old and therefore unacceptable. The guy offered to give me $250 for my $300 in "old" bills.
Why not just make your withdrawals in KHR?
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Torn notes accepted at any gas station
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic