Honda Wave 2023 review

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Honda Wave 2023 review

Post by Kammekor »

I bit the bullet and decided to replace my 10 year old Wave 110i with a new Honda Wave. The local Honda shop in town sells it for USD 1.430. It comes with a number plate (in Khmer name only....) a small metal rack in front of the seat and two metal racks protecting the engine.

The spec's:

Displacement 109.17 cc
Maximum Power 8.2 hp
Fuel Tank Capacity (litres) 3.7 L
Fuel consumption: 1.7 L per 100 km

What I like
The engine runs smooth and is relatively silent. It definitely makes less noise than my 10-year old Wave. The engine has a bit more power than last years' series (100 cc engine) but the 10 year old Wave (also 110cc) beats this one when it comes to power. So far I've driven about 100 km on this one and the fuel consumption doesn't come close to the claimed numbers. It is relatively fuel efficient though, it squeezes about 40-45k out of a liter of fuel I guess, which I consider pretty good. The old Wave manages about 35k out of 1L. I also like the cockpit showing all the info needed in a comprehensive way.

What I don't like
First of all, the front brake. It's nearly impossible to brake so hard the wheel will lock. For some that may be good thing (preventing the wheel from skidding), but I like more braking power than this one has. This Wave has drum brakes, the old one has a disk brake. A disk brake is so much more superior IMHO. The problem is there are no semi-automatic Honda motorcycles with a disk brake anymore (at least in Cambodia).
Second are the mirrors. I actually had them changed for Honda Dream mirrors which cost me an extra 18$ and I think every foreigner buying this bike should do so. What's the issue? The mirrors simply do not stick out enough, thus merely showing the driver's body instead of the road behind you. The Honda Dream mirrors stand out about 7 cm further showing a much larger section of the road behind you.

Why I bought this one?
When it comes to servicing and repairs there's no brand beating Honda in Cambodia. Even in the most remote places you can find the spares and skills needed.
When considering buying this bike I had two bikes to choose from. I looked into the Voltra Electric scooter (for sale in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap only) costing USD 1.680 + 10% VAT and second this Honda Wave. I liked the Voltra a lot, really a lot, they allowed a test ride, and it's a very smooth machine with loads of braking power. But in case of a repair I would have to take it to Phnom Penh. That's simply no option because I live in the far Northeast. I also considered the resale value. My 10 year old Wave which is still in a good condition cost me about USD 1.200 in 2013 and I can easily sell it for USD 400 tomorrow. The resale value of the Voltra is probably zero after a few years and it needs new batteries every few years. So the Wave it was.

Do I recommend the bike?
I have mixed feelings. I bought this bike to drive it myself for a while, and to use it for rentals in a month or three. For me, the front brake is a serious issue. On the other hand, if you're an inexperienced driver (which my renters probably are) it could be a blessing because it's nearly impossible to brake so hard the front brake locks the wheel. If that's no issue for you, I think it's a decent bike which gives you plenty of bang for your bucks at this price. The competing Honda Dream is just over 1,000$ more expensive without offering much more IMHO.
Last edited by Kammekor on Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Honda Wave 2023 review

Post by phuketrichard »

when i moved back to Phuket i sold my 2021 110 wave in Kep and brought a used 2021 125i wave ( only 10,000 kms on it) here for 43,000 baht, ($1,265) new ones were 57,000 ($1,675) but 2 months waiting list
New 110i's Honda Wave Alpha are 35,000 ( $1,030) https://fasterwheeler.com/th/bikes/hond ... alpha-8920

LOve it< so much more power than than the 100
Strange as Cambodia the 125 dream is the preferred bike<
here the 125 i wave is preferred over the dream, ( fr semi auto's) in fact very hard to even find a new 125 Dream for sale
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:11 am when i moved back to Phuket i sold my 100 wave in Kep and brought a used 2021 125i wave ( only 10,000 kms on it) here for 43,000 baht, ($1,265) new ones were 57,000 ($1,675) but 2 months waiting list
New 110i's Honda Wave Alpha are 35,000 ( $1,030) https://fasterwheeler.com/th/bikes/hond ... alpha-8920

LOve it< so much more power than than the 100
Strange as Cambodia the 125 dream is the preferred bike<
here the 125 i wave is preferred over the dream, ( fr semi auto's) in fact very hard to even find a new 125 Dream for sale
For some reason the Dream is very popular in Cambodia (status?), but it offers relatively little extra for the high price IMHO. It's nearly double the price of the Wave which is expensive already compared to Thailand. Honda Cambodia used to sell the Wave 110i but they stopped selling it a few years ago. I've never seen a Wave 125i for sale in Cambodia (legally). I think Honda Cambodia does everything to prevent other models cannibalizing the lucrative Honda Dream market hence the limited offer.

Yamaha has a few nice models competing with the Wave, those have a disk brake for the same price, but spares are difficult to find in this part of the country. I also have an old Yamaha Fino which needed a new belt a few months ago and I had to buy it in Phnom Penh. That's just not practical.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

wave aint no good , if you want something good , get a dream
never a problem no way no how
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

why would there be a problem putting a new moto in your own name ?
i would go to an other place where they will “ do it your way “
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Marx »

For the rental market we have five Honda Visions, they hit the commercial mark with their purchase price, low maintenance requirement and ease of use for novice drivers. We have one Honda Wave 110 which now gets rented less and less because it isn't automatic. I loved the Wave unconditionally, until January this year when I bought a new Honda Dream (for $2,200). Maybe I'm a victim of marketing, but the feel of this bike, the sound of it, and the bit of extra power it has, more than make up for its higher purchase price. You can easily adjust the brakes yourself, up to the level where skids on both front and rear wheels are possible, if you don't like the slack that the Honda showroom seems to favour. The clear disadvantage of the Dream is its absence of storage under the saddle, which is why you have to get used to that stupid-looking basket on the front.
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:40 am I bit the bullet and decided to replace my 10 year old Wave 110i with a new Honda Wave. The local Honda shop in town sells it for USD 1.430. It comes with a number plate (in Khmer name only....) a small metal rack in front of the seat and two metal racks protecting the engine.

The spec's:

Displacement 109.17 cc
Maximum Power 8.2 hp
Fuel Tank Capacity (litres) 3.7 L
Fuel consumption: 1.7 L per 100 km

What I like
The engine runs smooth and is relatively silent. It definitely makes less noise than my 10-year old Wave. The engine has a bit more power than last years' series (100 cc engine) but the 10 year old Wave (also 110cc) beats this one when it comes to power. So far I've driven about 100 km on this one and the fuel consumption doesn't come close to the claimed numbers. It is relatively fuel efficient though, it squeezes about 40-45k out of a liter of fuel I guess, which I consider pretty good. The old Wave manages about 35k out of 1L. I also like the cockpit showing all the info needed in a comprehensive way.

What I don't like
First of all, the front brake. It's nearly impossible to brake so hard the wheel will lock. For some that may be good thing (preventing the wheel from skidding), but I like more braking power than this one has. This Wave has drum brakes, the old one has a disk brake. A disk brake is so much more superior IMHO. The problem is there are no semi-automatic Honda motorcycles with a disk brake anymore (at least in Cambodia).
Second are the mirrors. I actually had them changed for Honda Dream mirrors which cost me an extra 18$ and I think every foreigner buying this bike should do so. What's the issue? The mirrors simply do not stick out enough, thus merely showing the driver's body instead of the road behind you. The Honda Dream mirrors stand out about 7 cm further showing a much larger section of the road behind you.

Why I bought this one?
When it comes to servicing and repairs there's no brand beating Honda in Cambodia. Even in the most remote places you can find the spares and skills needed.
When considering buying this bike I had two bikes to choose from. I looked into the Voltra Electric scooter (for sale in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap only) costing USD 1.680 + 10% VAT and second this Honda Wave. I liked the Voltra a lot, really a lot, they allowed a test ride, and it's a very smooth machine with loads of braking power. But in case of a repair I would have to take it to Phnom Penh. That's simply no option because I live in the far Northeast. I also considered the resale value. My 10 year old Wave which is still in a good condition cost me about USD 1.200 in 2013 and I can easily sell it for USD 400 tomorrow. The resale value of the Voltra is probably zero after a few years and it needs new batteries every few years. So the Wave it was.

Do I recommend the bike?
I have mixed feelings. I bought this bike to drive it myself for a while, and to use it for rentals in a month or three. For me, the front brake is a serious issue. On the other hand, if you're an inexperienced driver (which my renters probably are) it could be a blessing because it's nearly impossible to brake so hard the front brake locks the wheel. If that's no issue for you, I think it's a decent bike which gives you plenty of bang for your bucks at this price. The competing Honda Dream is just over 1,000$ more expensive without offering much more IMHO.
Drum brakes are a dealbreaker for me, definitely infinitely better value than wasting the extra money on the Dream though
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic