US Social Security payments suspended

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: US Social Security payments suspended

Post by stevenjb »

pissontheroof wrote:
JF wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:06 pm [quote=}
Better make a note not to rely exclusively on Social Security for retirement income in the distant future.
One big mistake I have noticed when reading this post. Why would one tell the Social security that a person has 2 addresses? When one has US address for social security purposes. That would be the address on file. Telling social security that your living in another country is what caused letter verification.

I have social security and they never requested verification if your still alive. I have US address and US bank account that social security direct deposit to. That's all the information social security needs.
Although I am elegable for social security i have never applied for it , I just don’t need it .
I hear all these stories for to verification here . Proove you are still alive !
I don’t need all that ! Sending letters back and forth
In Thailand I had my veterans check sent to me via the consulate in Chiangmai
By US , not international mail , i went to the bank there and deposited it every month .
I am paid by the veterans administration ,

Before I came here I had radiation Image for prostate cancer , they upped my pay and suggested i might not be
around to collect that for so long .. I just had a 12 year anniversary here .
All my checks go into the Bank of America Image I withdraw the $$ every month .
Soooo much money - They never contact me in any way shape or form .
I always. wonder how they will ever know when I die .
Because there are stories out there of people being dead but somebody is “ keeping them alive “
… to collect the benefits .. I keep always wondering how to apply for social security online
for my little son who will be stuck here when I die .. the US embassy here is almost totally useless
I don’t want to ask this forum but I hope to find out somehow ..
Listening to you guys ……… it’s always on my mind ..

พิซออนเดอรูฟ Image
Cheese Image[/quote]My understanding is that a child can benefit from a parent's SS up to the age of 18, if the parent dies. The child may need to be a U.S. citizen. Of course contact SSA about that.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

YES: friend of mine died this year , Both his kids get $1,400/month each> Must be US citizen's thou
what urs gets depends on what u get
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:01 am YES: friend of mine died this year , Both his kids get $1,400/month each> Must be US citizen's thou

There has to be a loophole. . I got to find more out about this 👆🏽

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Cheese 🧀
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:13 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:01 am YES: friend of mine died this year , Both his kids get $1,400/month each> Must be US citizen's thou

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Cheese 🧀
What do you mean “loophole”?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 pm What do you mean “loophole”?
Ummm , to over-ride the BS “ report a birth abroad “.
No problem to register the little _ here not being married and get a cambrodian passport
No problem at all for my thai kids being married and with that co-operation of thier mom.
But the US embassy here has an impossible many page form to fill out which requires a whole lotta
information more than Mr.B could uncover . But it’s supposed to be a birth right .
I was going to take him to USA and do it simply . But the embassy here won’t answer any of my questions.
Is why i want to contact the Social Security and give them the story and make a deal ,
I won’t ask for social security for me , but I want my kid to be compensated when I die until he is 18 .
I have no idea 🤷🏼 what I would do when I die if I even was together with his mother , since I am still married .

its just one of the things I get to wonder about in the kingdom.

[mod edit- to fix the quote]
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:07 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 pm

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Cheese 🧀
No problem to register the little _ here not being married and get a cambrodian passport
No problem at all for my thai kids being married and with that co-operation of thier mom.
But the US embassy here has an impossible many page form to fill out which requires a whole lotta
information more than Mr.B could uncover . But it’s supposed to be a birth right .
I was going to take him to USA and do it simply . But the embassy here won’t answer any of my questions.
Is why i want to contact the Social Security and give them the story and make a deal ,
I won’t ask for social security for me , but I want my kid to be compensated when I die until he is 18 .
I have no idea 🤷🏼 what I would do when I die if I even was together with his mother , since I am still married .

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
[/quote]

Sorry dude, but as usual you are all over the place and unable to complete a single coherent sentence.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, it's amazing how most of us are able to register births and get our children's paperwork and citizenship sorted out — without resorting to whining about our embassy or blaming it on the kingdom. :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:45 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:07 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 pm

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Sorry dude, but as usual you are all over the place and unable to complete a single coherent sentence.
He’s not wrong. Maybe if you were to ask for help instead, if you find bureaucratic forms overwhelming?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

US Social Security isn’t automatic.

First Social Security needs to determine if a US citizen has ‘earned’ it, working 20 years in the US and how much was paid into the system. There are tiers. More paid in, more paid out (to a max). There is a website to help determine that. You’ll need your social security number and proof of years worked (W2, 1099, etc.)

There is no ‘loophole’ where money simply rains down from the sky without any effort, especially with the federal government.

Or maybe I’m never lucky unlike others on CEO.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’m the first to admit that I personally have minimal patience with bureaucracy. But the choices are generally simple when it comes to filling in forms; either do it this way, or don’t. One gets you further, the other gets you more drinking time. Loopholes, bypasses, shortcuts, and special friends with back door procedures invariably involved making random folks richer for no appreciable gain.
From what I can tell, so far, the US is more citizen friendly than (some) other countries, in many respects. But bureaucrats are no more telepathic than anyone else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic