US Social Security payments suspended

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: US Social Security payments suspended

Post by Username Taken »

Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:56 pm Better make a note not to let the GOP have control over all three (3) branches of the government in the near future.
How is that relevant to this situation?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:05 am
Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:56 pm Better make a note not to let the GOP have control over all three (3) branches of the government in the near future.
How is that relevant to this situation?
It’s not, just like the other posters comment wasn’t. I was being sarcastic.
JF
Tourist
United States of America

Post by JF »

[quote=}
Better make a note not to rely exclusively on Social Security for retirement income in the distant future.
[/quote]

One big mistake I have noticed when reading this post. Why would one tell the Social security that a person has 2 addresses? When one has US address for social security purposes. That would be the address on file. Telling social security that your living in another country is what caused letter verification.

I have social security and they never requested verification if your still alive. I have US address and US bank account that social security direct deposit to. That's all the information social security needs.

For those who have internet service, you can setup social security account known as "myaccount". Do all social security matters over online. Online social security sends "letters" electronically. There's would be an option to conduct your case over online.

Since there's usual fax option for quick resolution to the situation. Another tip, there online fax known as "eFax" which they would give you US fax phone number. Social security website has series of forms and look up the form you need to fax. Then upload the documents into fax to send.

This would be the most modern and quicker way to resolve an issue with social security. There's also US phone number for social security for your home state in US.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

JF wrote:For those who have internet service, you can setup social security account known as "myaccount". Do all social security matters over online. Online social security sends "letters" electronically. There's would be an option to conduct your case over online.
From what you wrote. Do you access SSA 'my account' from a country outside of the US online? If so, do you use a VPN?

My thought is SSA would 'see' a foreign IP address and deny access.

Thanks
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

stevenjb wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:27 am
JF wrote:For those who have internet service, you can setup social security account known as "myaccount". Do all social security matters over online. Online social security sends "letters" electronically. There's would be an option to conduct your case over online.
From what you wrote. Do you access SSA 'my account' from a country outside of the US online? If so, do you use a VPN?

My thought is SSA would 'see' a foreign IP address and deny access.

Thanks
Even though I still have several more years before I am able to start collecting, I access mine while here in Cambodia, no VPN.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Is Social Security the benefits system or is it the state pension in the US?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Earl of Mercia wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:41 am Is Social Security the benefits system or is it the state pension in the US?
Not state, Federal.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

It's funny how the social security administration, the irs, and et al still embrace fax machine technology. Maybe it's because of the abstract Karlheinz Sockhausen electro soundtrack they provide (like all those old dial-up modems, all gurgling and churgling). You know the sound.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

JF wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:06 pm [quote=}
Better make a note not to rely exclusively on Social Security for retirement income in the distant future.
One big mistake I have noticed when reading this post. Why would one tell the Social security that a person has 2 addresses? When one has US address for social security purposes. That would be the address on file. Telling social security that your living in another country is what caused letter verification.

I have social security and they never requested verification if your still alive. I have US address and US bank account that social security direct deposit to. That's all the information social security needs.

[/quote]

Although I am elegable for social security i have never applied for it , I just don’t need it .
I hear all these stories for to verification here . Proove you are still alive !
I don’t need all that ! Sending letters back and forth
In Thailand I had my veterans check sent to me via the consulate in Chiangmai
By US , not international mail , i went to the bank there and deposited it every month .
I am paid by the veterans administration ,

Before I came here I had radiation ☢️ for prostate cancer , they upped my pay and suggested i might not be
around to collect that for so long .. I just had a 12 year anniversary here .
All my checks go into the Bank of America 🇺🇸 I withdraw the $$ every month .
Soooo much money - They never contact me in any way shape or form .
I always. wonder how they will ever know when I die .
Because there are stories out there of people being dead but somebody is “ keeping them alive “
… to collect the benefits .. I keep always wondering how to apply for social security online
for my little son who will be stuck here when I die .. the US embassy here is almost totally useless
I don’t want to ask this forum but I hope to find out somehow ..
Listening to you guys ……… it’s always on my mind ..

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Cheese 🧀
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

us embassy has nothing to do with SS:
u deal with manila
"FBU Manila" <[email protected]>

Social Security Administration – Federal Benefits Unit https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/
Address: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines
Inquiry Line: +63-2-5301-2000 (After selecting your preferred language, press 3 for Social Security/Federal Benefits.)
Telephone Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays - 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Manila Time), except U.S. and Philippine Holidays.
In-Office Appointments: To request an appointment, please contact us via our FBU Inquiry Form.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic