US Social Security payments suspended

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: US Social Security payments suspended

Post by whereami »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:34 pm Image Does post office in kep charge a fee to receive your mail/use their address ?

yep; SS does not send snail mail to Cambodia
NOT

where to send form 7162
1st paragraph

JosephLarrybradley
Tourist
United States of America

Post by JosephLarrybradley »

Matty9999 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:25 am Hey what was the reason for the suspension?

They did NOT answer for "why"

I got an auto reply saying 'maybe' I didn't respond to a letter or maybe a phone call

The Social Security in Manila has the form as noted and email from Manila seems to say they are still waiting for it to be delivered.

The video link above shows photo proof the package was delivered.

Maybe I have to send the 3rd form, (note one was sent to Manila and one was sent to American Embassy Cambodia) and video the form being put into the package by employees of EMS (Khmer Post Office). Then I would have PROOF of delivery of not just the package but the forms.

IF I have to do that it will be a Slow delivery and I will be hurt.

DHL gave me the photo Proof of Delivery. DHL tells me that there are a lot of people sending the same form to the same address, Social Security in Manila.

Thank you all for ideas and what to do
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

My check was also suspended in March. I sent an email to Manila; just got a reply:

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

If you have not received your benefit payment scheduled for March 3, 2023, the most likely reason is that the Social Security Administration (SSA) has not yet received the Annual Report Form that was mailed to you last year. The fastest way to reinstate your payments is to complete the attached Form SSA-7162 and mail it back to SSA’s Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Manila at the following address:

Social Security Administration
U.S. Embassy Manila
1201 Roxas Boulevard
Ermita, Manila 0930
Philippines

For the past ten years I sent the 7162 to Manila via email, no problem. For whatever reason, they changed the requirement. So tomorrow I'll take the form to DHL and send it. So instead of costing 25 cents, it'll now cost 80 bucks. Sigh. Same shit, different day.
IMPORTANT: We MUST receive the actual form completed and signed. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept scanned, emailed, or faxed copies of the form.

Once we receive the completed form and reinstate your payments, all past-due benefits will be directly deposited into your bank account within 7 to 10 business days.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I've always sent my form 7162 to where it told me to send it, in the enclosed envelope they provided

NOTE ;1st paragraph in my above post
Mail to Social Security Administration
PO Box 7162
Wilkes Barre PA 19767-7162
USA

where was ur 7162 form sent to you?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I have never received the form. In the reply to me, posted above, they sent a link to form 7162, which I will make a copy of to send.
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

I have my social security going to an American bank and use my ATM card to withdraw money from an ATM.I have never had a problem.I have encountered problems in the past with my retirement mailed to me and I was required to prove that I was still alive every 6 months or it have my pension stop until I had proved that I was still alive.After I had my pensions sent to a US bank account I no longer encountered that problem.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Seems the OP was not alone

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Better make a note not to rely exclusively on Social Security for retirement income in the distant future.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:02 pm Better make a note not to rely exclusively on Social Security for retirement income in the distant future.
Ih that's really fucking helpful.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Better make a note not to let the GOP have control over all three (3) branches of the government in the near future.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic