US Social Security payments suspended

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: US Social Security payments suspended

Post by Kenr »

schlarry wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:05 am
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:06 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:00 am They really need to get with the times...still using paper mail, without the option for some form of electronic (ie. email) submission, in this day and age is mental
its the democratic goovernment , wait awhile for trump and he will unfuck this current mess
If I'm not mistaken under his oversight, he used the same system?

Bureaucracy is not a partisan problem, it's a structural one; too many civil servants that have jobs and processes created to keep them employed, not to maximise services
Better yet, Mr. Trump wanted to eliminate the payroll tax, which would have essentially damaged Social Security and Medicare benefits.

That being said, I don’t agree with it but I understand the reasoning with sending this form through the mail and not email or other means, it’s to make sure you are alive and living where you say you are when living outside the country. It’s to prevent fraud, because when you pass in the US, SSA is notified. When living outside the country there’s a possibility that whoever you may be with has access to your bank account and not report your death and continue to receive benefits indefinitely.

In my opinion the easiest way to rectify this would be to be able to report to the Embassy once a year with your passport, but unfortunately that’s probably not going to happen.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:00 am They really need to get with the times...still using paper mail, without the option for some form of electronic (ie. email) submission, in this day and age is mental
Same bloated bureaucratic issues that plague the UK, and many other over developed countries.

The UK has (or had) some official documents limited to surface mail or Fax. Fax! In 2008.

To the OP. Looking at your forms, it does seem that you’re making a bigger issue out of this than needed.

The form needs to go in each year. You appear to have suggested yourself that this should be possible, to establish that you still live in Cambodia.
Only the questions on page 1 of the 2 page form needs to be completed, if nothing has changed. Fill in your details, answer 3 y/n questions. Sign where needed. Send the form in.
The form can be downloaded, and you could easily print it at any local print shop. So relying on surface mail between USPS and Cambodia post is not totally necessary.
There is even a field for entering some remarks, which I would suggest is where you might append a helpful note regarding Cambodia postal services.

By comparison with much of the garbage required in the UK, this seems pretty streamlined, and a fairly simple expedient safeguard.

What you do need to really take on board though, is the fact that you are an expat, living in a country with some pretty poor basic services, and by your own admission seem to be pretty well isolated. If you are going to be difficult to contact, then you really need to mitigate the situation a bit more, including keeping an eye on the date for submission.
JosephLarrybradley
Tourist
United States of America

Post by JosephLarrybradley »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:47 am
Same bloated bureaucratic issues that plague the UK, and many other over developed countries.

The UK has (or had) some official documents limited to surface mail or Fax. Fax! In 2008.

To the OP. Looking at your forms, it does seem that you’re making a bigger issue out of this than needed.

The form needs to go in each year. You appear to have suggested yourself that this should be possible, to establish that you still live in Cambodia.
Only the questions on page 1 of the 2 page form needs to be completed, if nothing has changed. Fill in your details, answer 3 y/n questions. Sign where needed. Send the form in.
The form can be downloaded, and you could easily print it at any local print shop. So relying on surface mail between USPS and Cambodia post is not totally necessary.
There is even a field for entering some remarks, which I would suggest is where you might append a helpful note regarding Cambodia postal services.

By comparison with much of the garbage required in the UK, this seems pretty streamlined, and a fairly simple expedient safeguard.

What you do need to really take on board though, is the fact that you are an expat, living in a country with some pretty poor basic services, and by your own admission seem to be pretty well isolated. If you are going to be difficult to contact, then you really need to mitigate the situation a bit more, including keeping an eye on the date for submission.
Have email from Manila SS just an hour ago. It was in response to an email I sent to Manila SS giving them the Prof of Delivery by DHL the package with the requested form and person who signed to accept deliver.

They Reply that they will re instate when they have the form.

GESH this is crazy... They have the form

Larry
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yep; SS does not send snail mail to Cambodia
NOT

where to send form 7162
1st paragraph

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:26 am
schlarry wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:05 am
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:06 am
its the democratic goovernment , wait awhile for trump and he will unfuck this current mess
If I'm not mistaken under his oversight, he used the same system?

Bureaucracy is not a partisan problem, it's a structural one; too many civil servants that have jobs and processes created to keep them employed, not to maximise services
Better yet, Mr. Trump wanted to eliminate the payroll tax, which would have essentially damaged Social Security and Medicare benefits.

That being said, I don’t agree with it but I understand the reasoning with sending this form through the mail and not email or other means, it’s to make sure you are alive and living where you say you are when living outside the country. It’s to prevent fraud, because when you pass in the US, SSA is notified. When living outside the country there’s a possibility that whoever you may be with has access to your bank account and not report your death and continue to receive benefits indefinitely.

In my opinion the easiest way to rectify this would be to be able to report to the Embassy once a year with your passport, but unfortunately that’s probably not going to happen.

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

@phuketrichard so he must send the form to the US address not to Manila? (Reading the first paragraph in the image you posted)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

violet wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:27 pm @phuketrichard so he must send the form to the US address not to Manila? (Reading the first paragraph in the image you posted)
This is the for the form sent every year>
what it says, no reason to take my word for it

BUT if you DONT get the form sent to you. (which was posted before
read this; https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/

If you did not receive your monthly Social Security payment this month...............

I have no idea why the op cant follow the posts

I'm finished with this thread
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:24 pm
violet wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:27 pm @phuketrichard so he must send the form to the US address not to Manila? (Reading the first paragraph in the image you posted)
This is the for the form sent every year>
what it says, no reason to take my word for it

BUT if you DONT get the form sent to you. (which was posted before
read this; https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/

If you did not receive your monthly Social Security payment this month...............

I have no idea why the op cant follow the posts

I'm finished with this thread
I wasn’t arguing with you. I was asking. I read posts but have not retained information across all the posts.

Give the guy a break. There are a number of possible reasons why he is not finding this as easy to navigate as you have found it.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

The OP did do what Richard just linked to (he completed the form and sent it to Manila. He got proof of delivery - but got a message saying they will act when they receive the form. It’s not the OP who is confusing things) -so why is it Richard thinks he didn’t follow the thread? Perhaps Richard can’t follow the thread.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The Address in Manika will most likely have a mail room, who will sign certifying receipt of the mail. Not that it has been handed off to, and actioned by the relevant person.
The website states that it is the office dealing with expats across some 40 asia pacific regions.

I’d advise the OP to relax a bit, as he’s likely not thinking clearly, and probably making his own problems.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic