US Social Security payments suspended

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
JosephLarrybradley
Tourist
United States of America

Re: US Social Security payments suspended

Post by JosephLarrybradley »

The form was sent via DHL on the 6th. dhl 4593684244.

Thank you for your help... I already did it.

The package is due to arrive today and then see what they do.

This was $81 that I can not afford.. there has to be a better way.

I didn't make any mistake and I'm being hurt. For sure not just me.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Hey what was the reason for the suspension?
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

My SS check was also suspended in March, after 10 years living in Cambodia with no problems. I have always emailed the form 7162 to Manila in December. I have a bank account in the US in which the checks are deposited. THIS year, for the first time since retiring, I had to file an income tax return. On it, I listed a mailing address in the US as residence. Then my check was suspended. I contacted my tax preparer and had them file an amended return listing Cambodia as my residence. Next I guess I'll contact Manila, see what to do. I was hoping that once the amended return was processed, I'd be automatically reinstated. I'll post when this has been resolved, let you know.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Matty9999 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:25 am Hey what was the reason for the suspension?
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr.wKp ... W4mMd0lRE-
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Why didn't you hand the completed form to the embassy in Phnom Penh for them to forward it to Manilla for you like you did last time?
You said thats how you dealt with it successfully last time your payments were cut 5 years ago. (as you mention in your video)

Instead of $80 spent on DHL, maybe a bus trip to PP with a cheap room for the night would have given you the chance to talk in person to someone at the US embassy and to explain how dire your situation is. Although it may not be a service they usually deal with they may assist you in a humanitarian manner to help fix your problem?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:08 pm
Matty9999 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:25 am Hey what was the reason for the suspension?
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr.wKp ... W4mMd0lRE-
Social Security benefits have nothing to do with the budget or deficit.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Good luck getting it sorted, Joseph, and let us know how it goes.

Maybe most importantly, GET SOME GOOD SLEEP! You seem pretty rough in your video, so I know you're in a bad spot.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
JosephLarrybradley
Tourist
United States of America

Post by JosephLarrybradley »

They didn't say and won't say... What I got was a "maybe you didn't respond to a mailed letter"

That's bull shit because SS does not mail any letter to private address in Cambodia.

IF you wanted to have someone receive mail via Cambodian post (EMS) you would include the phone number with the address.
Cambodia post does NOT deliver.

If Social Security is mailing something from the US Post office (which IS what they use) any mail with a zip code starting with the number 1 gets sent to New York.

I have send several emails asking Social Security WHY my payments were stopped... NO direct answer and I don't expect one.

Note : zip codes in Siem Reap Cambodia may have 5 or 6 numbers and start with the number 1.

Scanned by US Post Office will try and guess the rest of zip code.. and it's shipped to New York.

did you think it's 9 digits for US zip code? it's 11 digits... modified BCD
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s my experience that many folk rarely consider the world outside their own close sphere of knowledge and influence. Government agencies, especially.
Expecting a government department to accommodate the inadequate postal service of a foreign country for a small minority of people by appending a phone number, in a system that probably doesn’t have a facility to do so, is fraught with risk of failure. Irrespective of whether it’s been successful in the past.

At the top of one of those forms (US DSS) it references a paperwork reduction program. Reduction, reconciliation, rationalising. It’s all change. My experience of reduction of paperwork (paperless office, for instance) in some company processes has resulted in more admin, not less. Only less final paperwork. Sometimes.

Progress is not always accompanied by improvement, sadly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

JosephLarrybradley wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:42 pm
They didn't say and won't say... What I got was a "maybe you didn't respond to a mailed letter"

That's bull shit because SS does not mail any letter to private address in Cambodia.

IF you wanted to have someone receive mail via Cambodian post (EMS) you would include the phone number with the address.
Cambodia post does NOT deliver.

If Social Security is mailing something from the US Post office (which IS what they use) any mail with a zip code starting with the number 1 gets sent to New York.

I have send several emails asking Social Security WHY my payments were stopped... NO direct answer and I don't expect one.

Note : zip codes in Siem Reap Cambodia may have 5 or 6 numbers and start with the number 1.

Scanned by US Post Office will try and guess the rest of zip code.. and it's shipped to New York.

did you think it's 9 digits for US zip code? it's 11 digits... modified BCD
ur a stuck record<
1. it could take up to 3 weeks for SS to reply to your email
2. I got my confirmation of being alive request 7162 and my year end report SNAIL MAILED to me at the local post office in KEP< CAMBODIA
street 33A
Kep Village
Kep city 22020-00
3. Kep zip code is 22020-00
4. My Maryland zip code is 20871-9670 ( looks like 9 to me)

give it a rest and allow them to reply to your mail u sent DHL:

U have been given advice but you ignore it> are you sure Cambodia is for you?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic