US Social Security payments suspended

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: US Social Security payments suspended

Post by pissontheroof »

That’s way too much writing for me to read …
All I can say is I turned 70 recently so I been eligible for this about 10 years now I guess

Sounds like a load of headaches and i don’t need the money so I don’t even apply for it .
Uncle Sam pays me well for helping guard president Nixon when he lived in San Clemente California
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

GB's link sounds like it'll probably (hopefully) fix the situation.

I'm not American and know nothing about SS but with mail systems being what they are I'd make a note on my calendar reminding myself to download and send them the form every year, whether they ask for it or not, and save myself having to go through it again.

Good luck mate, hope you can resolve it soon.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

JosephLarrybradley wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:27 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:05 pm

BS:
i said above i got my Form 7162 sent to my address in Kep in August ( i use post office there as my physical address as Kep does not deliver mail)

And I an ken both told you the us embassy wont help you

you were lucky if u got no 7162 sent to you before
I've had one sent to me since i first claimed SS.
FYI; getting said loan is NOT easy and IF you do get it, they put a hold on ur passport ( it wont be usable till loan is repaid)

I posted the link above for you, just follow the instructions>

cant help any more than that.
Hello??

Do you live in CAMBODIA? I don't think so because CAMBODIA postal service does NOT deliver. The SS has never told me that I didn't respond to mail because they know they don't send paper mail to persons who are registered with an address in Cambodia.

I did not get paper mail for years 2018 through 2022. I've asked SS very directly WHY the payments were stopped. The haven't given an answer.. they won't give an answer because they NEVER sent paper mail to Cambodia.
You must have missed the BOLDED bit in Richard's post above.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Random Dude wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:19 am GB's link sounds like it'll probably (hopefully) fix the situation.

I'm not American and know nothing about SS but with mail systems being what they are I'd make a note on my calendar reminding myself to download and send them the form every year, whether they ask for it or not, and save myself having to go through it again.

Good luck mate, hope you can resolve it soon.
gave the link way back on my first post, so it obvious to me he is in denial.
you DONT download the form,they send it to you an you need send it back signed>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
JosephLarrybradley
Tourist
United States of America

Post by JosephLarrybradley »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:28 pm I'm going to bump this again.

Is there an American here who can assist him?
If he has to visit Phnom Penh I can help out with a guesthouse, anyone able to help him embassy side, I'll be able to help out with taking you to lunch, dinner, drinks or whatever you'd like.
Thank all of you for your comments. I got maybe 4 hours almost sleep. Your comments jog my brain to process what I know for sure and try to make sense of the rest.

I'm betting it all comes down to this for mailing of paper mail requesting response:

The notices are sent via US Post Office.
Any zip code that begins with the number 1 is scanned and goes to New York

My correct zip code for Cambodia is 6 digits and begins with the number 1.

I am slow/stupid... I worked 2 years for Electrocom Automation. We installed eq that reads the mail.

I think this IS the problem and SS has to know.

Worse is American Embassy Cambodia telling me they can not help.

If he is correct whatever was changed that before allowed help and now does not, needs to be changed back.

If what he is saying is Not true and it turns out he could have helped me to get the form processed he should be recalled.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Is this a wind-up? I mean the OP has pretty much ignored many helpful replies and just keeps on ranting and rambling.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:34 am Is this a wind-up? I mean the OP has pretty much ignored many helpful replies and just keeps on ranting and rambling.
He seems to have exhausted goodwill in record time.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

After I made my decision to retire in Cambodia I did my due diligence and read up on ways to keep my US phone number and keep my US bank account(s) active, how to file my tax return, and how to deal with SSA when the time comes. Did I cover everything? I’m sure I didn’t.

But, I do know what services the US Embassies provide in Cambodia and Thailand. So, anything outside of renewing my passport I am going to be responsible for anything else, and expecting them to assist me in anything other than what is listed on their website is unreasonable. Do I agree with all of it? No, it would be nice to have other services, but I knew what I was getting myself into by leaving the US.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Hey! I've got an idea!

Maybe the OP (@JosephLarrybradley) could click on this link >> https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:44 am
Alex wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:34 am Is this a wind-up? I mean the OP has pretty much ignored many helpful replies and just keeps on ranting and rambling.
He seems to have exhausted goodwill in record time.
Devils advocate- his opening post ended with him being at his wits end. Desperate, angry, and isolated?

OP- the problem simply need to be boiled down to its essential items, and forget what you did before, what you think they should do now, what legislation needs changing.

Print the form. It’s available in many of the links provided, and is also now here

https://uploads.mwp.mprod.getusinfo.com ... A-7162.pdf

Scan the completed form for yourself, then mail the form-

Social Security Administration
ATTN: FEQ
U.S. Embassy
1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita
Manila, Philippines 0930

Mail leaving Cambodia may be somewhat more reliable than being delivered. Courier it, if needed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic