Cats and people

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Cats and people

Post by Anchor Moy »

As far as bringing your pet here is concerned: I wouldn't be as worried about vaccines etc as with the interaction between western-bred domestic animals and the more hardy khmer dogs and cats: isn't there a form of animal culture-clash, something like taking darling Fifi from Manhattan down to the Bronx ? :dragonchase:

People here, have you brought your cats/dogs to Cambodia from outside or have you adopted a local ?
In my experience (limited) of other people's dogs and cats, the local breeds seem to have much sharper teeth and to be more agressive. Also, many dogs in Cambodia are badly treated in general, so they react agressively to humans.

As I said, my experience is limited to other people's animals. So, I have two questions for pet-owners in Cambodia : 1/ Is there a problem with the local animals when you bring your polite western-bred non-agressive pet to Cambodia ?
2/ And, if you have a local pet, do you find that it seems genetically more agressive than what you would expect of a domestic animal in a western country ? (ie. More like a feral than a domestic breed.)
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Anchor Moy wrote: 1/ Is there a problem with the local animals when you bring your polite western-bred non-agressive pet to Cambodia ?
2/ And, if you have a local pet, do you find that it seems genetically more agressive than what you would expect of a domestic animal in a western country ? (ie. More like a feral than a domestic breed.)
Question 1: no
Question 2: normally no. I have an adopted Cambodian cat (and brought him into Europe) - he is the smoothest, most lovely cat that I have ever met. An extremely charming guy - I wouldn't like to miss him. But I have seen cats in Cambodia which were a bit more aggressive. Actuallly it depends on several things and mostly at what age you got the animal.
Because you have mentioned this genetical issue - you've got to be careful here: Siamese cats (breed) for example are wilder and more aggressive. Get a Burmese (breed) and it's the opposite.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Anchor Moy wrote: 1/ Is there a problem with the local animals when you bring your polite western-bred non-agressive pet to Cambodia ?
1. Stroppy brought his cat from oz. Ask him.

2. We've had our cat for almost 15 years now and she talks to us and we talk to her. Not aggressive at all. However, she will run and hide when any locals come in yet has no problems with whities.
Overall, I find Khmer cats to be extremely submissive. Like putty in my hands. [Gotta admit that I speak cat, so that helps a bit].

8)
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Username Taken wrote: However, she will run and hide when any locals come in yet has no problems with whities.
Absolutely true. I've made the same experience
Username Taken wrote:Overall, I find Khmer cats to be extremely submissive. Like putty in my hands. [Gotta admit that I speak cat, so that helps a bit].
Yes, you do have to speak cat, and that's probably the reason why they withdraw when they see a local. They have no idea about animal behavior and also don't seem to be interested in learning it.

Anyway, I've never had a problem with a cat or dog (even street dogs) in Cambodia - talk to them and things will be fine.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@AD: You say your cat is a "he". Did you get him fixed ? That can also have something to do with aggressiveness. Do you keep him inside or does he go out and about ?

As for traveling with a cat, no problems between Europe and Cambodia apart from papers and vaccines ? What about the stress ? (For the cat I mean LOL) I thought I'd have to decide between having a cat or Cambodia + travel, so maybe I can rethink. Good news. Cheers.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote:@AD: You say your cat is a "he". Did you get him fixed ? That can also have something to do with aggressiveness. Do you keep him inside or does he go out and about ?

As for traveling with a cat, no problems between Europe and Cambodia apart from papers and vaccines ? What about the stress ? (For the cat I mean LOL) I thought I'd have to decide between having a cat or Cambodia + travel, so maybe I can rethink. Good news. Cheers.
No, he's not castrated (he's 7 years-old now), and he's a pure house cat. Getting the paperwork for him was a pain in the ass and expensive, but healthwise he has no problems with the new climate.
When I brought him to Europe I have transported him in my hand luggage (cabin) and gave him a sedative to keep stress at a minimum (you just have to register the cat with the airlines a couple of weeks before departure).
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bringing a cat or dog into Bodge isn't a problem at this end, especially if Fluffy arrives on the same flight as you. You need up to date vaccination record including rabies, evidence of a flea/tick/worm treatment, 15 digit microchip with certificate and a statement of good health from a vet.

Australian Customs can be real jerks and will not allow the animal to leave Oz until you present a letter from Ministry of Agriculture giving you permission to bring Fluffy to Bodge. This alone slowed us down by six weeks as Customs couldn't tell us what they wanted, but insisted we provide it. I seriously annoyed the Director for Ministry of Agriculture with repeated requests for import certificates etc. that simply were not needed.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic