ROBBERY WARNING IN SIEM REAP!!!

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: ROBBERY WARNING IN SIEM REAP!!!

Post by Bongmab69 »

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:17 pm I havent been in SR since 2019, and am surprised soksan road is after midnight target-area ??
Knever had any problem overthere pre-covid !! Did it change so much ??
But either in the Daun Penh area i very often walk aloon after midnight and knever had issues at all !!
Probably its my always smiling face when i am drunk doesnt attract the wrong guys ???

sorry, but it's doing my head in...
haha, thanks for correcting me,
in my tiny country we speak 3 languages, not english, we learn it often as 4th languages.
Nobody is perfect, i hope the aussies speak also their 4th languages as bad as i do !! ??

Inshaalaaahhh
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:40 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:17 pm I havent been in SR since 2019, and am surprised soksan road is after midnight target-area ??
But either in the Daun Penh area i very often walk aloon after midnight and knever had issues at all !!
Probably its my always smiling face when i am drunk doesnt attract the wrong guys ???

in my tiny country we speak 3 languages, not english, we learn it often as 4th languages.
Nobody is perfect, i hope the aussies speak also their 4th languages as bad as i do !! ??

Inshaalaaahhh
Your Welcome, That must be a headache 3 or 4 languages...
Guess we are lucky 1 Country 1 Language. No ones perfect & we all learn something new each day. Today was your turn.

God willing
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Its not really a headache the 3 or 4 languages, it has a lot of advantages. The english dont want to speak french and the french dont want to speak english= very often trade between those 2 countries passes through belgian hands, everybody happy, hahaha.

The main headache on Belgium is the 1500 different beers !!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:36 pm Its not really a headache the 3 or 4 languages, it has a lot of advantages. The english dont want to speak french and the french dont want to speak english= very often trade between those 2 countries passes through belgian hands, everybody happy, hahaha.

Considering that most native English speakers rarely bother learning another language, I don't have any issue with people who speak it as a second or third language making mistakes.

I have however, always had an issue with native speakers who don't seem to know how to use their own language properly. Native English speakers are in an extremely, extremely privileged position where we can quite easily get through life, travel the world, do business internationally, study whatever subject we want etc, without ever having to bother mastering a second language.

This isn't the case for the majority of the rest of the world. Cambodia being a great example. If you live your life only ever knowing Khmer, your life opportunities are severely limited. It takes many years of hard work to master something that has been given to us native speakers for free. Something that we often take for granted without a thought.

So with that in mind, if we really can't be bothered to master a second language, like the majority of the rest of the word is largely forced to, the very least we can do is learn how to use our own language correctly. Some people take the view that if you correct someone's grammar or spelling, you're being some sort of grammar Nazi. I couldn't disagree more. Failing to learn a second language is bad enough, but failing to know how to use your own native language properly is, I'm sorry to say, and will probably get a lot of hate for this, just unforgivable as far as I'm concerned.

With the exception of dyslexics, or people with other related disabilities, and of course the odd typo that we all make from time to time, either use English correctly, or stay off the internet and go back to school until you can.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Grand Barong wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:30 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:40 pm

Inshaalaaahhh
Your Welcome, That must be a headache 3 or 4 languages...
Guess we are lucky 1 Country 1 Language. No ones perfect & we all learn something new each day. Today was your turn.

God willing
Your Welcome?

:D
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:36 pm Its not really a headache the 3 or 4 languages, it has a lot of advantages. The english dont want to speak french and the french dont want to speak english= very often trade between those 2 countries passes through belgian hands, everybody happy, hahaha.

Yup. 1500 beers would give you a headache alright.
Oui, bier de 1500, est vous cherchez une vraiment penible dans ta tete, mais sur!
No problem.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Grand Barong wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:30 pm Your Welcome,
It's YOU'RE. Now you've learnt something too.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Internet forum posts correcting the linguistic errors in others frequently contain errors themselves.

Sometimes known as Muphry's Law.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Stravaiger wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:50 am Internet forum posts correcting the linguistic errors in others frequently contain errors themselves.

Yes, it's ironical.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Stravaiger wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:50 am Internet forum posts correcting the linguistic errors in others frequently contain errors themselves.

More likely Donna-Kruger. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic