ROBBERY WARNING IN SIEM REAP!!!

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ROBBERY WARNING IN SIEM REAP!!!

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:17 am
Bluenose wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:43 am So there's three of them, they've been violent twice, but you decide to chase them...
they took his wallet took the money and threw the wallet at him and gave him the finger!

Hmm, (1) why take out the contents and return the wallet with your fingerprints on it? (2) How many Khmers have you ever seen giving people "the finger"? (3) That's a very detailed account of someone who's been hit in the head and had their nose broken.

This is not passing the sniff test.
1 - no thief wants a wallet/bag, just the cash, and no cop shop will dust fingerprints from a wallet after a robbery - what do you think this is an episode of CSI Miami?

2 - I have seen shitloads of Khmer people giving the finger, and idk about you but I tend to remember important details clearly, especially when there's high emotion of any kind involved

And it is exactly the sort of thing that can happen to naive young people late in the evening on Soksan road, Siam Reap
Re: 1 It doesn't ring true. They grab, run and count their swag later. Emptying the wallet, throwing it back and "giving the finger" sounds like an embellishment through Chinese whispers.

Re: 2 - I am surprised, I have seen zero people using the gesture here, not a single one. Were these shitloads you speak of giving at you, or were these observations of others getting it?

When did, "naive young people" on Soksan Road come into the equation? Is this an assumption? Are you an ageist Jerry?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:16 pm

When did, "naive young people" on Soksan Road come into the equation? Is this an assumption? Are you an ageist Jerry?
No, there are just as many naive old folk around the place.

Some of them have never even seen a khmer give the finger
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:26 pm

So you made it up then? :D
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:37 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:26 pm

So you made it up then? :D
I made a comment on an account of a robbery in Siam Reap

I said "It's exactly the sort of thing that can happen to naive young people" which is true - I didn't make any comment on the ages of the victims - although the OP can prob answer that

re: finger, yeah seen it many times, perhaps not as often as western europe but it's here and used, often as a joke

Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I havent been in SR since 2019, and am surprised soksan road is after midnight target-area ??
Knever had any problem overthere pre-covid !! Did it change so much ??
But either in the Daun Penh area i very often walk aloon after midnight and knever had issues at all !!
Probably its my always smiling face when i am drunk doesnt attract the wrong guys ???
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:17 pm I havent been in SR since 2019, and am surprised soksan road is after midnight target-area ??
But either in the Daun Penh area i very often walk aloon after midnight and knever had issues at all !!
Probably its my always smiling face when i am drunk doesnt attract the wrong guys ???
I moved to SR in 2009 and even then there were constant cases of bag snatchings. Violence was, and still is, rare but did happen occasionally.
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

The last time someone tried to rob me (in PP), they gave me the finger and a “fuck you” for good measure. I don’t doubt the OP in this regard.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:17 pm I havent been in SR since 2019, and am surprised soksan road is after midnight target-area ??
Never had trouble there either; have seen and heard of plenty other folk having trouble there though; it's one of those streets
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

sorry, but it's doing my head in...
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

A smiling face on a drunk is exactly what they're looking for.

Ranting and raving with a meat clever should get you home safely.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic