Idea's for the best and most chill place I can live in Cambodia please?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Coconut
Tourist
Switzerland

Idea's for the best and most chill place I can live in Cambodia please?

Post by Coconut »

So I'll move to Cambodia, I'm 42yo and super chill.
I want a quiet place to live.
I love the beach/ocean, the jungle and the mountains also look interesting, but I would be happy to stay near a beach or just a place with clear water where I can do some sunbathing - I'm happy with just a rock to lie on...
Also it would be nice to have a little "hippie" community around, but it's not a must if there are any other chill/quiet places to recommend.
City life is not for me and I don't need any nightlife...
That said, Koh Phangan, Th is my favorite place - so if you have been there you get the picture of what I like, but Cambodia is next as it's to much work for me to maintain a Visa in Th...
Any ideas for a place to live for me?
Thanks for all help in advance :)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Idea's for the best and most chill place I can live in Cambodia please?

Post by truffledog »

Coconut wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:43 am So I'll move to Cambodia, I'm 42yo and super chill.
I love the beach/ocean, the jungle and the mountains also look interesting, but I would be happy to stay near a beach or just a place with clear water where I can do some sunbathing - I'm happy with just a rock to lie on...
Also it would be nice to have a little "hippie" community around, but it's not a must if there are any other chill/quiet places to recommend.
That said, Koh Phangan, Th is my favorite place - so if you have been there you get the picture of what I like, but Cambodia is next as it's to much work for me to maintain a Visa in Th...
I suggest you start your trip in Koh Kong and travel down south (all along the beach as far as possible) to Kep to see if there is a place you like. Avoid Sihanoukville as you dont like city life. Kampot has a nice hippie vibe to it but is not on the sea. There is no such place as Koh Phangan in Cambodia.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Coconut wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:43 am I would be happy to stay near a beach or just a place with clear water where I can do some sunbathing - I'm happy with just a rock to lie on...
Learn to love she shaded places ...

Cambodia is a bad place for sunbathing.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

... There is no such place as Koh Phangan in Cambodia...

SPOT on> kampot has very affordable accommodations , wide range of restaurants, a good vibe and easy to get around, you can swim in the river, ( lots of places along the river to spend and afternoon or 2) or travel 18 kms an swim in the sea in Kep ( BUT avoid on weekends and holidays)

Kampot is a mix between new age hippies and old drinkers :beer3: living out their lives in Cambodia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Coconut wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:43 am
Op is writing in shorthand Th.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

[quote=phuketrichard post_id=584615 time=1677484240 user_id=96

Kampot is a mix between new age hippies and old drinkers :beer3: living out their lives in Cambodia
[/quote]

The drinkers are often very old. The average age of a visitor in Koh Phangan is about half that of Kampot residents. As a 42y old I would prefer to hang out with younger folks.
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Marx »

I always find it surprising when people believe that the answer to a question like 'where should I live?' can be found on internet forums such as this one. Perhaps especially this one: if you look at old and not-so-old threads, there are plenty of contributors here who've also concluded that Thailand is a better place for them, or just simply less expensive than Cambodia, and perhaps some of them will pop up on this thread and advise you not to bother coming here.
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Coconut wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:43 am So I'll move to Cambodia, I'm 42yo and super chill.
Sounds like Nesat Village in Srae Ambel in Koh Kong province would be a good place for you. It's a small "alternative" village set up by westeners who used to live in Otres area in Sihanoukville prior 2018. There are few beaches couple kilometers from it.

Search Nesat Village on Facebook for more info. Or you can find it on google maps too.

Other option is Kep. Beach, sea, mountains, jungle and quietness. That is definition of Kep. Though beach and the Crab Market area does get very crowded on weekends.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Just out of interest, how are you looking to maintain a visa here?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:02 pm
Just out of interest, how are you looking to maintain a visa here?
Nothing more easy than that...read the zilllions of threads about that issue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic