Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:11 am MY daughter had not 1, but 2 passports by the time she was 18 months old, as did 75% of her school mates
That's very young to start school. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 am
how did she think she was doing right when her 12 year old daughter doesn't even have a passport?
I dont know any 12 year olds born in a foreign country that DONT have one :-)

This is nothing but negligence on the moms part
Thinking about this situation solely from a US or European mindset will largely miss the fact that things aren’t done the same way the world over.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:45 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 am
how did she think she was doing right when her 12 year old daughter doesn't even have a passport?
I dont know any 12 year olds born in a foreign country that DONT have one :-)

This is nothing but negligence on the moms part
Thinking about this situation solely from a US or European mindset will largely miss the fact that things aren’t done the same way the world over.
if she were born on American soil she would be American, Birthright citizenship, or jus soli,
many Pilipino pregnant women tried to go on American ships when they were about to deliver, so their child, if delivered on the ship, would be able to hold American citizenship

so its only over here that they are not considered the nationality of where they were born>
Seems there are 33 countries that are Jus soli

Best of luck, play the misinformed lady and hope the authorities can show some compassion>
BUT what happens next? Will the child need leave ( deported) and return to a country she has never lived in? Will Cambodia allow her to remain?
lots of outcomes at play here

and John, she started pre school at 3 and by the time she was in primary, i knew many of her classmates parents
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:59 am
if she were born on American soil she would be American, Birthright citizenship, or jus soli,
many Pilipino pregnant women tried to go on American ships when they were about to deliver, so their child, if delivered on the ship, would be able to hold American citizenship

so its only over here that they are not considered the nationality of where they were born>
Seems there are 33 countries that are Jus soli

Best of luck, play the misinformed lady and hope the authorities can show some compassion>
BUT what happens next? Will the child need leave ( deported) and return to a country she has never lived in? Will Cambodia allow her to remain?
lots of outcomes at play here
I don’t think she either needs to play the misinformed, nor based on the information provided by the op can it be assumed that anyone involved is playing at anything. She clearly has been misinformed. I’d hesitate to call it negligent. Negligent will be doing nothing from this point on.

Based on what you have written, some of your own understanding of jus soli, (which without restrictions, only accounts for about 17% of the worlds nations) was incorrect, and is now being corrected, and you already had more knowledge.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

the baby was born in a Cambodian Government hospital she was given a Khmer birth certificate and told the baby needed no visa I don't call it negligence , misinformed perhaps but maybe this correct 12 years ago or the doctor or hospital admin simply assumed the father was Khmer whatever laying blame isn't going to help her or her kid . I am planning IF I can find a lawyer to tell him just this, neither the girl or the child are criminals and a fine for $42,000 is simply ridiculous I've seen less paid here for murder.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:51 pm the baby was born in a Cambodian Government hospital she was given a Khmer birth certificate and told the baby needed no visa I don't call it negligence , misinformed perhaps but maybe this correct 12 years ago or the doctor or hospital admin simply assumed the father was Khmer whatever laying blame isn't going to help her or her kid . I am planning IF I can find a lawyer to tell him just this, neither the girl or the child are criminals and a fine for $42,000 is simply ridiculous I've seen less paid here for murder.
I'd probably advise her to get the Phils embassy to go bat for her - as I recall they are quite strong in support of their citizens overseas unlike the British embassy, for examples sake
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

I'd probably advise her to get the Phils embassy to go bat for her - as I recall they are quite strong in support of their citizens overseas unlike the British embassy, for examples sake
[/quote]

Done that all they'll do is issue a passport and they advise go then to immigration and "good luck" ..
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Embassies are not there to resolve visa issues.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ozinasia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:48 pm especially since covid screwed up so many lives, seen this happen before.
This woman's situation has absolutely nothing to do with COVID though.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:51 pm the baby was born in a Cambodian Government hospital she was given a Khmer birth certificate and told the baby needed no visa I don't call it negligence , misinformed perhaps but maybe this correct 12 years ago or the doctor or hospital admin simply assumed the father was Khmer
Now this may be even more difficult....did she actually get an official Cambodian Birth Certificate issued by the Sangkat? Or did she only get the report of birth issued by the hospital where the child was born (which is NOT an official birth certificate)?

If you're not sure, then feel free to send me a picture/scan of the document she has and I will let you know
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic