Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Ozinasia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:52 am How many maids have you met know anything at all about passports, firstly when the child was born right or wrong she was told the baby didn't need a passport or visa unless leaving the country . Her daughter is her life trust me if she had to find $300 a year for a visa she would have done it you can call it ignorance but I can easily see how she thought everything was fine and legal.
When living on a wing and prayer trying to get by , pay rent and eat I am sure thinking about needing a passport to fly somewhere was the last thing on her mind, as far as she was concerned passports only for travel.
In any case I hope this thread might help anyone else that didn't know the law as well, I am certain she isn't the only one.
If anyone can recommend a lawyer that specializes in immigration law I would appreciate a website link I've emailed about a dozen now and so far not one has replied. Cheers
I guess this is why the Philippines government doesn't want to let their citizens go overseas without their permission!

@Ozinasia it doesn't seem like there are probably a lot of lawyers that specialize in Cambodian immigration law. Oftentimes laws in Cambodia are not that complex. I think PSD Kiwi knows a lot about the law and he has already told you what he knows.

What you need is not so much a lawyer but someone who can negotiate.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

spoke to two fairly well known agents one said beyond their scope the other said $10.00 a day no getting around it :(
seems I'll be the one headed off to immigration myself but having lived in Asia most of my life I know in these situations its always best to keep my white face and blue eyes out of negotiations ALWAYS best handled by a local.
I do know a fairly high ranking cop may chat to him
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I doubt very much that the unfortunate family will have to pay anything like that $10 a day rate.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ozinasia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:10 pm spoke to two fairly well known agents one said beyond their scope the other said $10.00 a day no getting around it :(
seems I'll be the one headed off to immigration myself but having lived in Asia most of my life I know in these situations its always best to keep my white face and blue eyes out of negotiations ALWAYS best handled by a local.
Has the Filipino mum considered going public and complain on Facebook? It's just a brain fart but might be worth some serious thinking about the pros and cons of asking the Big Man to intervene.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Right now since learning what a huge mistake she has made and aside for grieving for her dad who just passed she want to keep as low a profile as possible she is terrified she and or her daughter will get arrested and deported. My live in is from Philippines as well since we have a spare room I have them staying her until we can work something out for them.
At 66 years of age I thought my days of problems were over Ha !! not so gotta admit its got me a bit stressed out , generally I have a good feel for how to help folks but this ones got me stumped. Probably a idea to bring it out in the public maybe the dept could have an amnesty program for a few months for people that have fallen foul of the laws to get themselves legal at a vastly reduced fine, especially since covid screwed up so many lives, seen this happen before.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:08 pm
Ozinasia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:10 pm spoke to two fairly well known agents one said beyond their scope the other said $10.00 a day no getting around it :(
Has the Filipino mum considered going public and complain on Facebook? It's just a brain fart but might be worth some serious thinking about the pros and cons of asking the Big Man to intervene.
complain about what?
that she never checked and verified if her child was Philippine and assumed the child was khmer?
Like i said negligence on her part

and agree, DO NOT show your face at immigration with her
the answer will be "you pay"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:08 pm
complain about what?
that she never checked and verified if her child was Philippine and assumed the child was khmer?
Like i said negligence on her part

and agree, DO NOT show your face at immigration with her
the answer will be "you pay"
Complain about a ridiculous fine.

Assuming the DoI will.actually fine the kid 10$ a day. First thing she has to do is get the facts straight from the horse's mouth. Not some 'trustworthy' agents, but from the DoI itself
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

GB gave me a +1 and said this
"Talk to many 12 year old children do you PR? But hey glad that all the 12 year olds you know have passports ;)"

NOPE BUT
MY daughter had not 1, but 2 passports by the time she was 18 months old, as did 75% of her school mates

OK?
Last edited by phuketrichard on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:11 am GB gave me a +1 and said this
"Talk to many 12 year old children do you PR? But hey glad that all the 12 year olds you know have passports ;)"

MY daughter had not 1, but 2 passports by the time she was 18 months, as did 75% of her school friends

OK?
If you had said nothing, nobody would have known of the @Grand Barong comedy gold.

Whatever you do Richard, don't go shooting!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I can see one major uncomfortable question coming, if she’s not careful. What has she been doing all this time to support herself and her family?

My gut feeling is that this should be kept low key, and compliant, and get the story clearly established, and simple as possible (the tendency for people to embellish, be frugal with the truth, or to take bad advice from well meaning but equally ill informed friends, etc). As of now, she’s been incredibly naive, and complacent. Trying to turn this into a problem for the Cambodian government surely won’t help her cause.

The family bereavement may work in her favour, if there is someone sympathetic listening. If the child is well adjusted to Cambodia- speaking and behaving Khmer, naturally could be a bonus.
It would be a shame if in the process of trying to help her, a well meaning friend were to become embroiled in something unnecessarily more difficult, or somehow deemed to be responsible for her upkeep.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic