Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

Post by phuketrichard »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 pm I feel so sad for this woman, she thought she was doing everything right. Tragic situation.
how did she think she was doing right when her 12 year old daughter doesn't even have a passport?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 am
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 pm I feel so sad for this woman, she thought she was doing everything right. Tragic situation.
how did she think she was doing right when her 12 year old daughter doesn't even have a passport?
I don't know many 12 year old's who have a passport.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

How many 12 year old foreign kids here don't have a passport?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rozzieoz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:46 am
:please:
I dont know any 12 year olds born in a foreign country that DONT have one :-)

This is nothing but negligence on the moms part
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Grand Barong wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:30 pm I'm not sure if this is content is current or relevant, but it looked like maybe an avenue worth exploring further?

Article 9:
For any foreigner who is born in the Kingdom of Cambodia, the 7 years period of continuously living as stated in the sub-para 3 of the article 8 of this law, shall instead be decreased to 3 years.
But they need to have been living LEGALLY in the Kingdom, which in this case the kid hasn't been.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 am
rozzieoz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:46 am
:please:
I dont know any 12 year olds born in a foreign country that DONT have one :-)

This is nothing but negligence on the moms part
Stupidity, ignorance, naivety... whatever the reason behind it I doubt she was deliberately being negligent. I can see how she'd assume the kid was Cambodian through being born in Cambodia and having a birth certificate. The father was American, isn't there a law saying if you're born in the US that makes you a citizen? He probably assumed the same law applied in Cambodia and they just went with that assumption.

Either way, it's a shit situation for her to be in and coming at an already difficult time for her. Hope it works out for her.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

12 years is quite a long time to never pick up a phone, tablet or laptop and spend a few seconds just double checking that my child who was born in Cambodia but not born to Cambodian parents is legally entitled to be here.

Maybe it's just me but even if I just assumed it to be fine, at some point over a 12 year span, there would have been a point where I'd have been led awake at night and it popped into my head, or dropped my situation into conversation with a friend who suggested that I check it, or something would have happened where I'd have questioned it to such a light degree that it would have been worth a few seconds of my time just to look at a screen, type in a few basic keywords, and just for my own reassurance, double check that my Cambodian-born but not Cambodian heritage child really was legally permitted to be here.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Random Dude wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:47 am The father was American, isn't there a law saying if you're born in the US that makes you a citizen? He probably assumed the same law applied in Cambodia and they just went with that assumption.
This.
Quite a common* thing, often demonstrated even among ostensibly better educated, or more well travelled folk, who still manage to assume that the same principals exist in different countries. So, bad advice, a lack of broader experience, and some apathy will provide the right, or wrong, result. There have been plenty of tales of quite long expired visas, just from western expats on this forum.

*maybe, common isn’t the right word, but It’ll do for now.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

How many maids have you met know anything at all about passports, firstly when the child was born right or wrong she was told the baby didn't need a passport or visa unless leaving the country . Her daughter is her life trust me if she had to find $300 a year for a visa she would have done it you can call it ignorance but I can easily see how she thought everything was fine and legal.
When living on a wing and prayer trying to get by , pay rent and eat I am sure thinking about needing a passport to fly somewhere was the last thing on her mind, as far as she was concerned passports only for travel.
In any case I hope this thread might help anyone else that didn't know the law as well, I am certain she isn't the only one.
If anyone can recommend a lawyer that specializes in immigration law I would appreciate a website link I've emailed about a dozen now and so far not one has replied. Cheers
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Random Dude wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:47 am The father was American, isn't there a law saying if you're born in the US that makes you a citizen? He probably assumed the same law applied in Cambodia and they just went with that assumption.
A very convenient assumption that is.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic