Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

Post by John Bingham »

One point is that under 12s had a visa waiver until about 6 years ago.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ozinasia wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:02 pm
Cambodia: In 1996, Cambodia changed the law to grant citizenship to children born to foreign parents only if they are living legally in the Kingdom of Cambodia (under Article 4(2)(a) of the 1996 Nationality Law).[64]
That is not correct....this is the correct translation of the law which you are quoting...

a. any child who is born from a foreign mother or father (parent) who were born and living legally in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

The foreign mother or father must have been BORN and living legally in Cambodia for the child to be granted Citizenship by birth
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:08 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:34 pm there is a cap on the overstay fine (although not publicly published)
I didn't know this, can you share the amount?
Unfortunately I do not know, although I have been trying to find an official answer to for years, all the DoI will tell me is that their is a maximum fine without giving specifics.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ozinasia wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:34 pm . Another has suggested for a few extra $$ its possible to get a Cambodian passport since she has got a birth certificate sounds a bit dodgy..
Whoever told you that is full of shit, those days are.well.and truly long gone. Yes you can apply for Citizenship if eligible...the kid is not eligible because they have not been living legally in Cambodia.

ALL persons born.in Cambodia are legally entitled to apply for and obtain a Cambodian birth certificate, if they didn't then there would be no official proof of their birth would their... having a Cambodian Birth Certificate does not entitle one to a Cambodian passport! :BangHead:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:40 pm One point is that under 12s had a visa waiver until about 6 years ago.
More like 12 years+ ago, and that was for children entering the country with their parents.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Looking more and more like she is totally screwed what ever way she goes it going to cost an arm and a leg to try and get her daughter legal :(
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ozinasia wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:15 pm Looking more and more like she is totally screwed what ever way she goes it going to cost an arm and a leg to try and get her daughter legal :(
Her daughter is legal as she has a BC, ( not like she is stateless, as i hope her mom is in Cambodia legally) she is just not legally in Cambodia
First; she needs go to the embassy and apply for a Philippine passport
after that, than she needs deal with Cambodian immigration.

My advice, ask the embassy for recommendations of what to do and a good lawyer.

Go fund me
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Her daughter is legal as she has a BC, ( not like she is stateless, as i hope her mom is in Cambodia legally) she is just not legally in Cambodia
First; she needs go to the embassy and apply for a Philippine passport
after that, than she needs deal with Cambodian immigration.

yeah her visa is ok she pays $300 a year to an agent but I don't know what visa she has, I do know she doesn't have a work permit but she only gets part time here and there, since covid got hardly any work at all last 3 years. No need for gofundme I can and will help her but not $42,000 help !!! Philippine embassy are really not helpful at all to be honest they pretty much said well if you break the law you break the law and you are on your own ignorance no excuse get a lawyer . Thats what I m looking for ..
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

I'm not sure if this is content is current or relevant, but it looked like maybe an avenue worth exploring further?

Article 8:
A foreigner who may apply for naturalization shall fulfil the following conditions:

1.shall have a paper certifying that he/she has good behaviour and moral conduct issued by the chief of the commune (Khum) or quarter (Sangkat) of his/her own residence.

2.shall have a letter of certification of the past criminal record which stated that he/she had never been convicted for any criminal offence before.

3.shall have a paper certifying that such person has his/her residence in the Kingdom of Cambodia and who has been living continuously for seven (7) years from the date of reception of a residence card which was issued under framework of the Law on Immigration.

4.shall have residence in the Kingdom of Cambodia at the time when he/she is applying for naturalization.

5.shall be able to speak Khmer, know Khmer scripts and has some knowledges of Khmer history, and prove clear evidence that he/she can live in harmony in Khmer society as well as can get used to good Khmer custom and tradition.

6.shall have his/her mentality and physical aptitude which will cause neither danger nor burden to the nation.

Article 9:
For any foreigner who is born in the Kingdom of Cambodia, the 7 years period of continuously living as stated in the sub-para 3 of the article 8 of this law, shall instead be decreased to 3 years.

https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6b521 ... 20Cambodia.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I feel so sad for this woman, she thought she was doing everything right. Tragic situation.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic