How do your organize your digital media.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

How do your organize your digital media.

Post by David Gordon »

I have backups of backups from a few decades of various devices and portable hard drives and now I want to consolidate everything on to one storage device in a way that will find and delete duplicate files while helping me arrange these files without it being an even more massive project than it already is.

What prompted this effort is that I had made a mistake and purchased 2 tb of iCloud storage and am now trying to get this stuff (now about 250 gb) off of there so I can quit paying $15/mo and being dependant upon them forever. (All those monthly bills do add up)

Has anyone of you mastered this in any way so that you are not cloud based? I don’t care if I have to purchase some software. It’s going to be pc based even though a lot of it was generated with iPhone cameras.

Thanks in advance.
Stay classy na
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How do your organize your digital media.

Post by Alex »

I think the real question is, why bother? I have backups of backups of all kinds of digital media since my time at college, but I never look at any of that old shit again. I guess my take is to add new memories instead of dwelling on the past.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Alex wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:54 am I think the real question is, why bother? I have backups of backups of all kinds of digital media since my time at college, but I never look at any of that old shit again. I guess my take is to add new memories instead of dwelling on the past.
Fair enough but I have photos from digital cameras from way back when my kids were younger and they were asking. But to me it just needs to be done and I want to do it and find the best way. There should be a software I can just dump it all into - I’m hoping.
Stay classy na
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Alex wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:54 am I think the real question is, why bother? I have backups of backups of all kinds of digital media since my time at college, but I never look at any of that old shit again. I guess my take is to add new memories instead of dwelling on the past.
I tend to agree but at the same time it would be nice to browse a little on my death bed.

Going for a happy medium where most photos are deleted but some excursions remains backed up on multiple offline locations just in case.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Is just about duplicate files, or are there more requirements?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

There are very easy ways if you're comfortable using the command prompt (Windows) or Terminal (Mac). Just type very short and easy commands which will copy / merge/ delete duplicate files in whatever method you like. For example, if you have files of the same name, you can get it to check which file is the newest and delete the oldest. I know a lot of people find things like that a little daunting and prefer doing it graphically, but it's really not that hard. It's a case of copying and pasting the commands in and even when it comes to the file paths, just drag the folder into CMD or Terminal and it will automatically write the file path for you.

The commands you want are easily found on Google. I would help more but don't know if you're on Mac or Windows.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:39 pm Is just about duplicate files, or are there more requirements?
From research there is software that can use geo data and organize by location, date, even facial recognition. Then there’s the full on professional features of photo editing I do not need. Also a lot of it is cloud based which I also do not want.

In iCloud it’s fairly well organized but I want it off there and also will not be storing it on an apple product.
Stay classy na
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Is this Mac based, or windows/pc? If the latter, I’m so out of touch. If it’s Mac based, then there are built in ways and means.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I, for one dont use the cloud an would never put my photos ( Raw and Jpeg) up there even for free
cause one day, it wont be free and then ur fucked

I use multiple hard drives

I still occasionally sell a photo shot 30 + years ago
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:17 pm I, for one dont use the cloud an would never put my photos ( Raw and Jpeg) up there even for free
cause one day, it wont be free and then ur fucked

I use multiple hard drives

I still occasionally sell a photo shot 30 + years ago
There was a time when websites and cloud storage services wrote into their Ts&Cs (which no-one ever reads) that everything you ever upload to their servers no longer belongs to you and they have sole ownership of it. Not sure if that's still the case, as it was quite a big deal when someone discovered it hidden away in the end user agreement. It probably is still the case for free services, but if you're paying for the storage, it, I doubt it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic