How do your organize your digital media.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: How do your organize your digital media.

Post by phuketrichard »

xandreu wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:12 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:17 pm I, for one dont use the cloud an would never put my photos ( Raw and Jpeg) up there even for free
cause one day, it wont be free and then ur fucked

I use multiple hard drives

I still occasionally sell a photo shot 30 + years ago
There was a time when websites and cloud storage services wrote into their Ts&Cs (which no-one ever reads) that everything you ever upload to their servers no longer belongs to you and they have sole ownership of it. Not sure if that's still the case, as it was quite a big deal when someone discovered it hidden away in the end user agreement. It probably is still the case for free services, but if you're paying for the storage, it, I doubt it.
BUT ur at their mercy as to what they charge/month

same goes for software that is cloud based ( like photoshop and bridge)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:25 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:12 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:17 pm I, for one dont use the cloud an would never put my photos ( Raw and Jpeg) up there even for free
cause one day, it wont be free and then ur fucked

I use multiple hard drives

I still occasionally sell a photo shot 30 + years ago
There was a time when websites and cloud storage services wrote into their Ts&Cs (which no-one ever reads) that everything you ever upload to their servers no longer belongs to you and they have sole ownership of it. Not sure if that's still the case, as it was quite a big deal when someone discovered it hidden away in the end user agreement. It probably is still the case for free services, but if you're paying for the storage, it, I doubt it.
BUT ur at their mercy as to what they charge/month

same goes for software that is cloud based ( like photoshop and bridge)
True. I pay for an annual Microsoft Office subscription because I need Word and Excel for my work. It comes with 1TB of cloud storage which I do use because it's part of the package but I'm not sure I'd use it otherwise.

That being said, it has saved me from a lot of stress on several occasions. Especially when I find that vital files I need have somehow gone missing or I've changed them and I need to access previous versions of them before I changed them. It's ability to record every change to every file and go back to any time before any change was made has been a life-saver for me many times.

Even if you delete files, which put them in the recycle bin, and then empty the recycle bin, there is still the ability to restore your entire OneDrive as it was at any time in the past.

I have to say, it does have a lot of uses that simply using your own back-up on a hard drive doesn't have.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

Thanks to the op.

I detest cloud and giving up ownership/control/at the mercy of ransom from corporatocracy.

I also use external hard drives but the backups every so often build up.

The op question is valid for many...how or what is easiest and safest way to merge multi backuos over multiple hard drive backups to delete, merge, organize into an optimal and more managable situation?
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

So right now everything is being dumped into a 5 TB portable hard drive. The cloud files are taking the longest because they actually have to download first.

I’ve taken my last cell phone and turned off the Internet so it’s not connected to iCloud and I’m dumping that into the hard drive as well.

There are several other devices it’s just going to be a mess but at least it’s in one place. The files on iCloud are going to be duplicates from the files on the iPhone, and there will be duplicates from the other portable hard drives from years ago.

The main project may be just identifying and deleting duplicates, and the rest might be straightforward file management if I can just sort and file photos based on calendar year. That’s just my first thought.

I’m glad to have it underway and it’s been a nice distraction from my real job.
Stay classy na
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I have hard drives and two old laptops that I only use for backup storage, so multiple copies of everything.

I also have a Microsoft Office subscription and the cloud storage that comes with it. As a rule I don't trust cloud services but I backed up my photos, and a huge music and ebook collection - the things I'd be gutted if I lost - to the cloud just because I'm very aware that I could get burgled (again), or hit by a cyclone (again), or the place could burn down or something, and lose my laptops and hard drives.

I have some peace of mind that if that happens, at least I can pull it back off the cloud.

As far as duplicate files goes... the last time I copied files over between hard drives/ laptops I remember getting lots of messages saying 'this file already exists do you want to replace it?'. It's amazing how many duplicates you'll pick up just like that.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Day three here’s what I’ve got so far. The iCloud movies take the longest and I can only move them in groups of a few hundred at a time. Over my years of travel I have recorded much and I have made some YouTube videos with those too - mostly just for friends and family.

I have also moved from old phones. It gives the option to delete after downloading but doesn’t always seem to work - one is left with wondering if you dl or not - so I just do it again even if it’s going to give me more doubles.

The HD is way huge for the project and I’m not going to look in there till I’m satisfied all that is possible is moved over.

I think I did something similar - well a dump - into a big old hard drive once before - the thing is maybe 500 gb and was called an e book because it’s literally as big as a book and can sit in your bookshelf. That will be interesting - first finding the right cables and then seeing if I can even crack it open.

Meanwhile I use Ccleaner professional on my laptop and have noticed it has a duplicates finder so will put that to the test. Then I plan to sort photos by years or decades or trips as appropriate when that time comes.

Anyone wanting to do this needs to be very bored and have a fair bit of time to keep it up for several days at a time. I know when finished I will feel very satisfied and - I will also have a system set up I can add to and improve upon. Even the sorting can be crude at first and can be refined over time if I wish.
Stay classy na
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Is this iCloud storage because you are using iPhone/iOS devices, or simply Cloud storage?

If you are using iPhone/iPad, then you still have some easy, built in duplicate identification in apps like photos. But it can be a laborious job to check each one.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Physical media fails. There is a percentage failure rate per year. You won’t know it failed until you go to access the data. Some (hard drives) fail at a faster rate than others (memory chips).

Data stored in the cloud is theoretically tested constantly for data integrity and redundancy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic