Social Media Outrage: Woman Eats Flip-Flops etc

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Social Media Outrage: Woman Eats Flip-Flops etc

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): In the most recent case of social media attention-seeking, a Cambodian female social influencer was criticized for degrading the nation of Cambodia, after consistently posting videos of herself eating inedible "food", served with chili dipping sauce.
The unusual items that replaced food were tyres, rubber flip-flops, raw meats, bugs, bricks, and so on. The woman received harsh cricism from outraged social media commenters, even though she put disclaimers and apologies in every video she posted.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Fortunately she seems to have strong teeth.

Cambodian social media watchers love to be shocked. This man claimed to be eating poo
Spoiler:
FAKE
general-chatter/psychic-detained-for-ea ... 49270.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Social Media Outrage: Woman Eats Flip-Flops etc

Post by Random Dude »

Is that the same girl who was eating live tarantulas on another thread here?

If it is I admit I saw it and wondered if it was a rare local 'delicacy' or something - I personally didn't see it as degrading the people of Cambodia but have to admit I put it in my personal 'that's a nasty custom I'll never be trying' file.

Seeing her eat all those other stupid things puts it in perspective though, she's just an attention-seeking idiot who will eat anything for internet clicks. Credit where it's due though, she has great teeth, very strong.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Some people just live to be outraged and insulted. And they need an outlet just as much as those who want to do things that shock or irritate- Facebook is ideal, intended or not.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:25 pm Some people just live to be outraged and insulted. And they need an outlet just as much as those who want to do things that shock or irritate- Facebook is ideal, intended or not.
Yep. I kind of envy those people, anyone who gets themselves worked up by stupid shit that doesn't affect them probably has nothing better to worry about. Lucky them.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

This reminds me of when I was young, back in the early 1800's, in the UK we had a late-night youth based TV program called 'The Word' which was all about being alternative and different (this was way before the internet when there were only 4 TV channels). I remember they had a section every week called 'I'll do anything to get on the telly' which featured things like people drinking their own vomit, or licking an old lady's armpit etc. It was basically a competition to see how much people would be prepared to debase themselves for their blink-of-an-eye second of fame.

Some people will literally do anything for attention and fame. The internet may have exacerbated it but these people have always existed.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

xandreu wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:38 pm This reminds me of when I was young, back in the early 1800's, in the UK we had a late-night youth based TV program called 'The Word' which was all about being alternative and different (this was way before the internet when there were only 4 TV channels). I remember they had a section every week called 'I'll do anything to get on the telly' which featured things like people drinking their own vomit, or licking an old lady's armpit etc. It was basically a competition to see how much people would be prepared to debase themselves for their blink-of-an-eye second of fame.

Some people will literally do anything for attention and fame. The internet may have exacerbated it but these people have always existed.
There was a guy who had a YT channel - one of those Jackass-style things where they do stupid shit. This guy would film himself getting hit in the balls in different, creative ways. How desperate for attention would you need to be to do that?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Ms Jin Su, Woman Filming Degrading Videos Broadcasts Apology Clip
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): After receiving a lot of criticism and backlash, Ms Jin Su, the woman accused of filming degrading videos of Cambodian ways of eating, has broadcasted an apology video clip on social media.
She also expressed commitment to stop creating these type of videos.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic