Cruise Ships (and Tourists) Return to Cambodia's Shores

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cruise Ships (and Tourists) Return to Cambodia's Shores

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A Cruise Ship Carrying Nearly 1,700 Multinational Tourists Visits Cambodia
AKP Phnom Penh, May 19, 2023 --
Costa Serena, a cruise ship sailing under the flag of Italy, has been on a two-day visit in Cambodia.

Coming from Thailand, the cruise ship with 1,671 tourists of 37 different nationalities on board docked at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port, Preah Sihanouk province on May 17.
According to the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Department of Tourism, most of the tourists are Thai and Chinese.

The cruise ship of 290.20 metres long and 35.50 metres wide left Preah Sihanouk province and returned to Thailand on May 18, at around noon.
By Phal Sophanith
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:24 am What's with the obsession about passenger numbers, detailed breakdowns of their nationalities, including the crew, and name and the length and width of the boat?

The only noteworthy thing here is the fact they stayed for less than a day, so this hardly qualifies as a boon for tourism. I bet they took a load of photos, bought a few bottles of water and got back on board to continue with their rolling 24-hour buffet.

One retiree who likes the booze and ladies makes a better contribution to GDP in a year than that shipload.
Many of the cruise ships stay overnight (as the above news indicates), and many people stay in hotels in those occasions. And I have been in restaurant multiple times when full bus load of passengers have arrived to have lunch too. There is docking fees and taxes as well. So they definitely are not 0 dollar tourists.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:27 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:24 am What's with the obsession about passenger numbers, detailed breakdowns of their nationalities, including the crew, and name and the length and width of the boat?

The only noteworthy thing here is the fact they stayed for less than a day, so this hardly qualifies as a boon for tourism. I bet they took a load of photos, bought a few bottles of water and got back on board to continue with their rolling 24-hour buffet.

One retiree who likes the booze and ladies makes a better contribution to GDP in a year than that shipload.
Many of the cruise ships stay overnight (as the above news indicates), and many people stay in hotels in those occasions. And I have been in restaurant multiple times when full bus load of passengers have arrived to have lunch too. There is docking fees and taxes as well. So they definitely are not 0 dollar tourists.
Why would anyone want to check into a hotel for one night when you have a fully paid-up cabin on the ship? Isn't that the raison d'être of crusie ships? Packing and dragging your luggage, passport, check-in and morning check out etc. What a palaver. What hotel in SNK could possibly be so attractive as to tempt people off the ship for one night?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:49 am

Why would anyone want to check into a hotel for one night when you have a fully paid-up cabin on the ship? Isn't that the raison d'être of crusie ships? Packing and dragging your luggage, passport, check-in and morning check out etc. What a palaver. What hotel in SNK could possibly be so attractive as to tempt people off the ship for one night?
I know at least Sokha, Independence and Howard Johnson hotels get cruise ship guests.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Over the past eight weeks, cruise ships have been a common sight in Sihanoukville, with one docking nearly every week for a night or two.

MS Viking Orion at start of November with 868 passengers visited 2 nights.

And today MS AIDAbella with 2000 passengers docked for 2 day visit.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:49 am

The short-time ones.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They come for the history and culture.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I wonder what they do in Sihanoukville ?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

There's two massive cruise ships docked today as MS Norwegian Jewel arrived today. This one is just for the day. Leaving evening already. MS AIDAbella is still here.
jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:14 pm I wonder what they do in Sihanoukville ?
I met tour group earlier this month at Sokha. They were there for lunch. I was interested to know also what are they going to see so I asked what was their program and it was something like this:
Pshar Leu market
Wat Leu Pagoda
Buffet lunch at Sokha
Beach/pool time and/or shopping visit (I think to the mall next to Sokha)
Visit some charity organization or monkeys at Independence hotel forest.
Dinner
Apsara dance show evening before boarding the ship and sailing off.

Also available was bike tours.

I was surprised to discover that the average age of the group at Sokha was around 50. Many couples and families in their thirties and forties were present. I had always assumed that these cruises were more geared towards people in their retirement age.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:28 pm I was surprised to discover that the average age of the group at Sokha was around 50. Many couples and families in their thirties and forties were present. I had always assumed that these cruises were more geared towards people in their retirement age.
The days when cruises were for the geriatric crowd are long gone.

As to the tourists not leaving money: that is just plain wrong. In the Dominican republic, each cruise ship passenger spends about $75 average per port visit. Might not sound much, but it adds up to a cool $100 million (2019).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic