DO NOT FEED: Angkor Wat Monkeys are Becoming Agressive

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Re: DO NOT FEED: Angkor Wat Monkeys are Becoming Agressive

Post by Marx »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:51 am
Marx wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:19 am
IraHayes wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:32 am
A lack of foresight by those in charge and thus who should know better given the experiences available from other areas around the world that have similar problems is once again telling of a deeper problem that pervades Cambodian society.
As several posts make clear, the problem is that many people, including both tourists and locals, like the monkeys, and the local authorities who try to keep the burgeoning populations in check therefore make themselves very unpopular when they are obliged to resort to violence and coercion. How is this indicative of 'deeper problems that pervade Cambodian society'?
The problem is not visitors, the problem lies with management and how they are run.
Who is running the place? the guests? the influencers?? the monkey??

And the deeper problem that pervades Cambodian society is no one is able to make a decision. It's always someone higher up's job and I'll just follow and uphold their viewpoint.

If those in charge knew what they were doing and had the balls to stand up and say
"Look the monkeys have to go or else we will end up with problems like they had in XYZ countries/places etc"

But no, they can't do that because either they didn't see it coming (incompetence) or they don't want to upset anyone (weak willed)

And do you know when the problem will get fixed??
It'll probably be down to something like this...... someone (anyone, local or visitor) very high up or connected to those very high up has a run-in with the monkeys, maybe a favourite child gets bitten, but then and only then will action be taken.
We also have a local pagoda with a large monkey population. I greatly dislike the way they behave, so I always carry a small stick with me when I have to go there, just that is enough to keep them away, I'm really not a fan. On the other hand, I'm pleased to be living in a country where there are considerable moral and religious hurdles in place to prevent the wholesale slaughter of the animals, simply because people behave very carelessly around them.
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

I watched a couple monkeys being aggressively playful with a camera man
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

I watched a couple monkeys being aggressively playful with a camera man..

But the camera man thought he was arguing with humans... was funny to watch as we went by on a tuk tuk
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I dont want to be a nit-picker on the subject, but monkeys have a inborn talent in grooming. Instead of feeding the little shits with free food make them work for a living in the hairdressing trade.

Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:16 pm I dont want to be a nit-picker on the subject, but monkeys have a inborn talent in grooming. Instead of feeding the little shits with free food make them work for a living in the hairdressing trade.

Sounds like london
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tourists Visiting Ancient Temple of Angkor Wat Warned About Ferocious Monkeys
The organization that oversees a temple complex in Cambodia is asking tourists to be mindful of monkeys, which have bitten tourists
Published 08/26/23 01:26 PM ET|Updated 14 hr ago
Brinley Hineman

The organization that oversees a temple complex in Cambodia is asking tourists to be mindful of monkeys.

The APSARA Authority, which protects and preserves Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia, has asked tourists to take care while interacting with monkeys to prevent the animals from biting, the Khmer Times reported.

The organization reported a significant increase of monkeys in the Angkor area in February, and said that the monkey population has grown overall in Angkor Thom, the last capital city of the Khmer Empire and another popular tourist site. A survey conducted by the organization estimated that hundreds of monkeys roamed the grounds.

The increased population is partially due to people releasing pet monkeys, Khmer Times reported.

"They no longer enter the forest in search of food, waiting for food from humans and sometimes snatching food from tourists, posing a risk," APSARA Authority said. "The monkeys annoy visitors almost every day and sometimes bite visitors as well."

The organization noted that the monkeys "are always angry" and have shown aggressive behaviors like stealing phones and other items from tourists' bags, damaging the temple itself, and clinging to cars and smashing windshields.
https://themessenger.com/news/tourists- ... us-monkeys
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:46 pm The organization noted that the monkeys "are always angry" and have shown aggressive behaviors like stealing phones and other items from tourists' bags, damaging the temple itself, and clinging to cars and smashing windshields.
Sounds like they're in desperate need of a good flogging.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Alex wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:56 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:46 pm The organization noted that the monkeys "are always angry" and have shown aggressive behaviors like stealing phones and other items from tourists' bags, damaging the temple itself, and clinging to cars and smashing windshields.
Sounds like they have too much interaction with humans. :voilent1:
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

As other posters have mentioned, the problem is now too far gone. There are, as far as I can tell, only 5 possible options open to the authorities now.
  • Catch and decapitate the largest of each group. Place their heads on spikes around the temples as a warning to the others not to fuck with us.
  • Catch them all and enact a Battle Royale scenario at one of the lesser temples (say, maybe, Ta Ne). The last survivor could be given a golden monkey throne and allowed to sit in one of the corner turrets of Angkor Wat.
  • Reprise the shooting ranges of yesteryear but without the cows.
  • Release a pack or two of hungry leopards and let nature take its course.
  • Close all temples and roads into the park, cease all human habitation and give the jungle and temples over to the monkeys for the next 100 years.

Personally, I'd go with the leopards.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Sounds like they have too much interaction with humans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic