DO NOT FEED: Angkor Wat Monkeys are Becoming Agressive

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: DO NOT FEED: Angkor Wat Monkeys are Becoming Agressive

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:46 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:53 am A couple of weeks of shooting, poisoning or trapping (and selling) will fix the problem. But they won't do anything about it until the place gets a terrible reputation and tourists stop going. It sounds like that process is well underway. .
You seem to have changed your tune in the past couple of years!
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:31 pm The monkeys were the most pleasing aspect of my one and only visit to Ankkor Wat.
topic42556.html
The CEO topic link above ^ leads to a thread from 2021 that's almost identical to this. Tourists were getting bitten and attacked by fearless monkeys (some quite big), and the conclusion was that "something must be done".
BUT, other people were freaking out about the authorities taking action on mad monkeys, because - cruelty to "THE MONKEYS". (In fact, the troublemakers were being removed from Angkor grounds and taken to Phnom Tamao Zoo for "rehab", or that's what they said.)

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. This is definitely between a rock and a hard place for the authorities.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Why don’t they just cull them?
Stay classy na
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:10 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:53 am A couple of weeks of shooting, poisoning or trapping (and selling) will fix the problem. But they won't do anything about it until the place gets a terrible reputation and tourists stop going. It sounds like that process is well underway. .
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:31 pm The monkeys were the most pleasing aspect of my one and only visit to Ankkor Wat.
topic42556.html
The CEO topic link above ^ leads to a thread from 2021 that's almost identical to this. Tourists were getting bitten and attacked by fearless monkeys (some quite big), and the conclusion was that "something must be done".
BUT, other people were freaking out about the authorities taking action on mad monkeys, because - cruelty to "THE MONKEYS". (In fact, the troublemakers were being removed from Angkor grounds and taken to Phnom Tamao Zoo for "rehab", or that's what they said.)

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. This is definitely between a rock and a hard place for the authorities.
Well personally speaking I hate them and would support shooting them all, Or at least just tranquilizing them for long enough to falsify some docs and export them to the US for medical testing. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

topic42556.html
Well, who's been a busy boy then?

I haven't changed my tune at all, I was just staying on topic with this new thread (for once).

My 'tune' in that (2 year old) post was my overall impression of Angkor Wat, and it remains exactly the same. I found the whole place underwhelming and overhyped. To me, it was just a pile of crumbling ruins in a cutting in the jungle with the bare minimum of reinvestment from the over-priced ticket revenue. The monkeys provided some mild entertainment on the way to the exit.

My comment in this thread was on the problems the money-for-nothing authorities are storing up for themselves by allowing the macaque population to get out of control. Judging by the above post it seems that ship has sailed and I was much too upbeat in my assessment of the current problem. It seems even a cull won't work. Maybe they should cull the YouTubers, that's the go-to solution for authoritarian governments. I wouldn't put it past them.

Anyway, I'm not going there again so I don't really care. More time for me to try my hand at digging up old posts on CEO and quote them while completely missing the point. Does it take long to learn this skill?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Seeing that they are intelligent creatures and that the root cause of the problem seems to be that they've lost their fear of humans, maybe the best approach would be to bring that fear back.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:45 am
topic42556.html
Well, who's been a busy boy then?

I haven't changed my tune at all, I was just staying on topic with this new thread (for once).

My 'tune' in that (2 year old) post was my overall impression of Angkor Wat, and it remains exactly the same. I found the whole place underwhelming and overhyped. To me, it was just a pile of crumbling ruins in a cutting in the jungle with the bare minimum of reinvestment from the over-priced ticket revenue. The monkeys provided some mild entertainment on the way to the exit.

My comment in this thread was on the problems the money-for-nothing authorities are storing up for themselves by allowing the macaque population to get out of control. Judging by the above post it seems that ship has sailed and I was much too upbeat in my assessment of the current problem. It seems even a cull won't work. Maybe they should cull the YouTubers, that's the go-to solution for authoritarian governments. I wouldn't put it past them.

Anyway, I'm not going there again so I don't really care. More time for me to try my hand at digging up old posts on CEO and quote them while completely missing the point. Does it take long to learn this skill?
It's the thread directly below this. Very easy, and I thought it was funny, no need to get upset.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Doc's posts actually highlight the problem very well tbh.
His initial post that the monkeys were a harmless and amusing spectacle at Angkor Wat only a few years ago has quickly morphed into a serious problem.

A lack of foresight by those in charge and thus who should know better given the experiences available from other areas around the world that have similar problems is once again telling of a deeper problem that pervades Cambodian society.
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Marx »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:32 am
A lack of foresight by those in charge and thus who should know better given the experiences available from other areas around the world that have similar problems is once again telling of a deeper problem that pervades Cambodian society.
As several posts make clear, the problem is that many people, including both tourists and locals, like the monkeys, and the local authorities who try to keep the burgeoning populations in check therefore make themselves very unpopular when they are obliged to resort to violence and coercion. How is this indicative of 'deeper problems that pervade Cambodian society'?
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Marx wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:19 am
IraHayes wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:32 am
As several posts make clear, the problem is that many people, including both tourists and locals, like the monkeys, and the local authorities who try to keep the burgeoning populations in check therefore make themselves very unpopular when they are obliged to resort to violence and coercion. How is this indicative of 'deeper problems that pervade Cambodian society'?
The problem is not visitors, the problem lies with management and how they are run.
Who is running the place? the guests? the influencers?? the monkey??

And the deeper problem that pervades Cambodian society is no one is able to make a decision. It's always someone higher up's job and I'll just follow and uphold their viewpoint.

If those in charge knew what they were doing and had the balls to stand up and say
"Look the monkeys have to go or else we will end up with problems like they had in XYZ countries/places etc"

But no, they can't do that because either they didn't see it coming (incompetence) or they don't want to upset anyone (weak willed)

And do you know when the problem will get fixed??
It'll probably be down to something like this...... someone (anyone, local or visitor) very high up or connected to those very high up has a run-in with the monkeys, maybe a favourite child gets bitten, but then and only then will action be taken.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:32 am Doc's posts actually highlight the problem very well tbh.
His initial post that the monkeys were a harmless and amusing spectacle at Angkor Wat only a few years ago has quickly morphed into a serious problem.
Not really, the post was on a thread about monkeys attacking people at Angkor Wat, and the backlash from the public the authorities faced when dealing with the issue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic