Cambodian Beer - Hangover Material

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Cambodian Beer - Hangover Material

Post by Doc67 »

I just returned from the Philippines and my beer of choice was San Miguel Light, 5% alcohol.

8 x SML = no hangover in the morning. Even with a couple of G&T's or a glass of wine, I was fine after breakfast.

Yesterday I had 8 x Cambodia draft over about 5 hours and one glass of wine and feel like shit this morning. I can't help feeling Cambodia beer is toxic, and it's not just the alcohol content. Had anyone else switched to an imported beer and noticed such a change?

Or am I just a hopeless over-the-hill piss artist that can't hack it anymore?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian Beer - Hangover Material

Post by Spigzy »

I don’t drink beer much here, but when I do, I always go bottled. Just watching Khmer cleaning company staff handle basic cleanliness should have you asking questions about how draught beer equipment is kept clean.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Might also have something to do with how hydrated you were before, during and after your session.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:39 am Might also have something to do with how hydrated you were before, during and after your session.
It was consistent while I was away, it was very noticeable after the first day. This morning after effect is very consistent when I am here. I was in the UK last June and was drinking Kronenbourg; 5 pints and no hangover, the same amount as 8 beers here.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 am I just returned from the Philippines and my beer of choice was San Miguel Light, 5% alcohol.

8 x SML = no hangover in the morning. Even with a couple of G&T's or a glass of wine, I was fine after breakfast.

Yesterday I had 8 x Cambodia draft over about 5 hours and one glass of wine and feel like shit this morning. I can't help feeling Cambodia beer is toxic, and it's not just the alcohol content. Had anyone else switched to an imported beer and noticed such a change?

Or am I just a hopeless over-the-hill piss artist that can't hack it anymore?
Doc I hope that is not your regular drinking diet.
Boredom is like a shroud
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I can’t help feeling Cambodia draft has changed a bit. 3 is my limit at Harry’s, or anywhere else. It has a taste, an edge. I know it’s not nearly as strong as the Belgian beers, but it does have that slight edge to it.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Try 8 cans instead and see if theres any difference. I stay off the draft as a rule and dont have the hangovers.😎
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Deifnitely, I switched to Beerlao for a while there and felt much better, much sharper. Then I switched back to Cambodia and felt like shit again and put on weight. Now I'm doing a stint of red wine... Feel great this morning after drinking a bottle on my day off yesterday.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I generally drink cans or bottles

And used to live in Spain and drink San MIg

San MIg definitely gives me more hangovers than the local stuff so idk, maybe everybody is different?

I have drank draft once in past three years and had a stinking head on me next day

Don't drink draft here is the lesson
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

I reckon age does come into it. Also the booze I drink at home is the best scotch or wine I can afford whereas the drinks I consume say, in a girlie bar, lord knows what's in it, where it comes from, but on many occasions it tastes nasty and I feel bloody awful the next day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic