Ukraine war: What support is China giving Russia?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Ukraine war: What support is China giving Russia?

Post by truffledog »

If China should fully support Russia we have reached a new level of conflict. Are you worried too? Peace seems so far away.

BEIJING (AP) — Nearly one year after Russia invaded Ukraine, new questions are rising over China’s potential willingness to offer military aid to Moscow in the increasingly drawn-out conflict.

In an interview that aired Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said American intelligence suggests China is considering providing arms and ammunition to Russia, an involvement in the Kremlin’s war effort that he said would be a “serious problem.”

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... e63c6caf15
work is for people who cant find truffles
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Ukraine war: What support is China giving Russia?

Post by Ghostwriter »

Titles like "one step beyond" from Madness comes to mind.
Currently watching "the last of us" doesn't seem to provide any help.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s reverting to the post war and early Cold War stage of 1950s. China was backing North Korea, back then. UN v China. Russian assistance of North Vietnam in the ‘60s.

Putin clearly wanting the old world order- maybe so he can show everyone how he would have done it. If only he had a reliable military with which to do it.
China pushing various ‘buttons’ to gauge reaction and resolve, such as recent incursions near the Philippines.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:29 am Titles like "one step beyond" from Madness comes to mind.
Currently watching "the last of us" doesn't seem to provide any help.
good series<
Past few days been doing my new motorcycle license and there lots of young russians, young doing the test> got to talking to a few as lots of down time and i ask
all disagree with Putin and are glad their not there

There are many here in Phuket, overloading the system, driving up rents and creating discord to some extent with their obnoxiousness>
At wifes pre school , out of 25, 2-6 year olds, 10 are Russian

how people feel about them here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... huket.html :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

This is the same 'Intelligence Services' perhaps that uncovered WMD in Iraq ... that counselled Syria was ripe for leadership change ... or that Afghanistan was stable enough for an announced withdrawal of US Forces ... Yep, undoubtedly China and Russia are in cahoots over Ukraine ....
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I'm surprised there are not more Russians in PP. I am glad, as from my previous encounters in Sharm El Sheikh and Nha Trang, they lived up to their poor reputation. They seem to like areas where they can dominate by being in the majority so when you come across such places, just avoid them

From the TripAdvisor link, it seems Kata beach is their choice and is full of them. That's good because last September it was empty.

I'm also surprised Putin let them out. If you are male and under 50 in Ukraine, you aren't going anywhere. Maybe Putin will send out the word to either come home, or never come home.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:11 am I'm also surprised Putin let them out. If you are male and under 50 in Ukraine, you aren't going anywhere. Maybe Putin will send out the word to either come home, or never come home.
Plenty of Russian draft dodgers here in Thailand. How much trouble they'll be in if and when they return to Mother Russia is anyone's guess! I'd expect Purin to come down on them like a ton of bricks, eventually.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Maybe they could take some of that famous Russian brave bolshy behaviour back to Moscow, and elect a better government.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

Alex wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:29 am Plenty of Russian draft dodgers here in Thailand. How much trouble they'll be in if and when they return to Mother Russia is anyone's guess! I'd expect Purin to come down on them like a ton of bricks, eventually.
I am not sure what problems u talk about. At this moment Russian citizens can travel/go live abroad anywhere they want. There's no any restrictions about that. Only exceptions are those who got 'invitation' to war.
Freightdog wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:52 am Maybe they could take some of that famous Russian brave bolshy behaviour back to Moscow, and elect a better government.
If they not agree with government the only options they have:
- stay silent
- go to prison
- move to another country
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:29 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:11 am I'm also surprised Putin let them out. If you are male and under 50 in Ukraine, you aren't going anywhere. Maybe Putin will send out the word to either come home, or never come home.
Plenty of Russian draft dodgers here in Thailand. How much trouble they'll be in if and when they return to Mother Russia is anyone's guess! I'd expect Purin to come down on them like a ton of bricks, eventually.
Russians make Thailand a refuge as Ukraine war enters second year
Russians are buying up property in Southeast Asian country to avoid conscription and the economic ravages of the war.

Since Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24, 2022, a growing number of Russians have looked to Thailand as their ticket to a new life.

Tens of thousands of Russians hoping to avoid the threat of conscription and the economic ravages of the war have travelled to the kingdom in the year since the invasion, many of them seeking a new home.
In Phuket, a popular resort island, Russians are buying off-plan condos with half a million dollars or more to facilitate their relocation or provide a landing pad for a future time when they may feel forced to leave their homeland.

Between November 1, 2022, and January 21, 2023, more than 233,000 Russians arrived in Phuket, according to data from Phuket International Airport, making them the biggest group of visitors by far.

Phuket has long been a favourite escape from the harsh Russian winter but property sales have surged since President Vladimir Putin in September ordered Moscow’s first wartime mobilisation since World War Two, suggesting many arrivals are intent on staying well beyond the length of a typical holiday.

“My clients are mostly young, 30-35… they’re wealthy, high-budget clients,” Sofia Malygaevareal, a real estate agent in Phuket who originally hails from Russia, told Al Jazeera.

“A lot of people have decided to move to Phuket from three to six months… to one year.”

To stay on the idyllic island, Russian arrivals need homes, schools, jobs and visas – which takes time in Thailand, where obtaining long-term residency rights can be difficult to achieve.

For many of the newcomers determined to swap a home on a war footing for a life in the Thai sunshine, money is not a problem. Realtors in Russian-dominated areas of the island say the influx of wealthy visitors, fuelled by the growing realisation the war has no end in sight as it enters its second year, has driven prices up to record levels.

Luxury condos that until recently were available to rent for about $1,000 a month can now go for three times that. Meanwhile, extravagant villas on the market for $6,000 or more are booked out up to a year in advance.
https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2023/ ... econd-year
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic