Drugs, how did they help you ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Drugs, how did they help you ?

Post by Ghostwriter »

Alcohol, good.
Pharmaceutical drugs, good.
Other drugs, bad.
Well, that's the line in France and elsewhere, in accordance with what is legal and what isn't.

If this doesn't sound totally right to you, then how did these bad drugs helped you to cope with things life was throwing at you ?
Which one were they ?

I guess no need to explain why these are also bad, the forum is quite full of stories demonstrating that. Let's focus on the side that gets less coverage, the good one.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Drugs, how did they help you ?

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I have enjoyed sativa weed when skiing or yakking with friends however, indica's body stone effect is not for me.

I understand the thread asks for personal positives, but these folks are unavailable, so on behalf of:

Winston Churchill did great things on cocaine, but he also sent unpresedented numbers of young people to their deaths.
The guy that invented masectomies (breast cancer), was a cocaine user and administered it to patients, wrongly.
My grandfather praised morphine on his death bed while he battled angina.
The light bulb guy was into cocaine.
The fictional Sherlock Holmes, heroin addict.
Sigmund Freud was unmoving in his conviction that cocaine was a miracle healing-drug. He even used it on a morphine-addicted friend. Friend died.

I had fun on mushrooms in Vancouver, but I don't like being out of control. So after a couple of hours, I started to think "am I always going to be like this?" Very soon after, it stopped, and I pretty much thought "hang on, I didn't say I wanted it to stop."

Apart from pot, LSD is the drug that has been justifiably praised, IMO, by;
Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Jack Nicholson wrote "The Trip" movie while on LSD, Richard Feynman (Amazon), Cary Mullis, Doc Hayes (Pirates) thought he was playing with Jimi Hendrix and Richard Nixon and threw a no-hitter on LSD, Frank Crick (DNA discoverer).

The above-mentioned LSD-users have given me enjoyment/changed my life, for the good (and bad), so that is how drugs have been good for me, in answer to your question.

Disclaimer: Glorifying hard drugs is not a good idea. Particularly when you think of the 27 club, if you haven't been personally affected by a loss. The body, and more so, the mind, is a complex machine that shouldn't be experimented with, at home. You wouldn't do it to your Ferrari.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

The fictional Sherlock Holmes, Cocaine addict. 7% solution

one word;

Moderation
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’d forgotten about morphine.
Yes, wonderful stuff. Hospital dose thingy wouldn’t let me have more, though, so sometimes it didn’t quite cut the mustard.

I’ve never really been inclined to try anything, except some weed which I enjoyed, but I’d be more worried if I never sourced root beer again (found once again in PP, so…phew)
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Ok Pseudonomdeplume but none of it seems relevant : smoke weed to enhance skiing is banal. Enjoying famous drug-users productions (music etc) is banal too. You did it, i did it, everybody did it.

I mean expected (or not) effects of illegal substances to help you cope with something too big for you at some point in your life, you posters.

It could be dancing your ass off while struggling with some issue(s), but even this is banal, that's even the reason many (most, all ?) dancefloors are successful businesses.

Mmmh...maybe something more intimate ? Personal ?
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:29 am The fictional Sherlock Holmes, Cocaine addict. 7% solution

one word;

Moderation
I stand corrected. Thought I read somewhere he had a needle on his bedside table. See what gossip does?!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:41 am Ok Pseudonomdeplume but none of it seems relevant : smoke weed to enhance skiing is banal. Enjoying famous drug-users productions (music etc) is banal too. You did it, i did it, everybody did it.

I mean expected (or not) effects of illegal substances to help you cope with something too big for you at some point in your life, you posters.

It could be dancing your ass off while struggling with some issue(s), but even this is banal, that's even the reason many (most, all ?) dancefloors are successful businesses.

Mmmh...maybe something more intimate ? Personal ?
Sorry for contributing. Why don't you set a benchmark? Open up, let it out, brother.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I went to raves for 4 years so was doing extacy, lsd, mushrooms and speed most weekends.

Many years later I was a heroin addict for 12 years in London and Saigon. I also took crack cocaine (London) and Crystal Meth (Saigon) when I had the money but was addicted to neither.

Do I regret it? I regret lots of things.

Did they help me? Sometimes.

Did they destroy me? Eventually, yes.

I'm fine now.

Still drink beer, 2 small cans a night, and I would take something if in London for a week. In fact I took heroin and crystal meth whilst on holiday in Saigon over Christmas. Didn't enjoy it.

Drugs are a fucking hype. They should all be legalized.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:46 am
Sorry for contributing. Why don't you set a benchmark? Open up, let it out, brother.
Ok sure
Ectasy (i guess mdma mostly) helped me cope with the death of my farher, in one pill, 4 years after.
I was slowly going into depression (or was i already arrived ?) while in my country, got better when arrived in south east asia, and recreated an opportunity to say a last goodbye while enjoying a pill, just the one (no serial popping here).

A few hours, lots of tears, then a day exhausted, smoothing it out with weed, then no more soul pain from this side of my life.
That was 20 years ago.

This Last Week Tonight episode reminded me that.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I got a tranquilizer before undergoing surgery and morphine afterwards. That stuff really works wonders.

I've got no interesting recreational drug use stories to share I'm afraid. Weed did nothing for me when I tried it in Amsterdam and London many years ago. I've gotten piss drunk many times, but who hasn't? That's it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic