Drugs, how did they help you ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Drugs, how did they help you ?

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:53 pm Can't say I've ever heard of any of those, but then I lost interest in psychonaut stuff way back.
Nor I
but than they weren't around when i was young

Was at a LEGAL dispensary today, Weed at 20-24 thc is down to less than 200 baht/gram with some going for as low as 1,500 for 100 grms and some nice Ca buds for 400 /

NEVER thought i'd see this in Thailand :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I came to a stage where it wasn't fun to go out with fun people unless I had drugs, cross roads, so instead I stopped going out.
And so I diverted my attention to threads like this on CEO :boring:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:54 am The only non prescription drugs I have taken was a course of oxandrolone and then another time, dynabol (decades ago now). There was no life changing epiphany but my bench press saw a boost.
For what purpose did you take them, if i may ask ?
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

I took Percocet after a surgery and it was a magical drug. Absolutely killed pain and just knocked me out and otherwise made me feel great. But that was for about 4-5 days only.

I like diazepam for long flights - it helps me relax and sleep and on the other side helps to adjust to the time difference by being able to sleep when I should.

I have used it occasionally when particularly stressed but aware it’s not good to take long term so I do not.

Otherwise no prescription drugs for me neither recreational drugs or alcohol - makes me pretty boring.
Stay classy na
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Seems like Joe Rogan likes to talk about psychedelics - the undertone being you can see more reality or god or something. I’ve never really listened to a whole episode from him on it but he seems to weave it in here and there and I get the idea he is a proponent of it as if reality is blocked from our awareness or our vision without it and like some have said here some of the most creative art and music has emerged from its use. And that may be true but that does not mean it might not be damaging to us - our bodies and minds - long term - which is what I have always been more afraid of.
Stay classy na
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

I love my oxy. Got it first 5 years ago in connection with a back surgery, still have some left. It's just the perfect kill switch for major pain.
My favorite illicit drugs were opium and heroin. Back in the early ninteties, that is, when you could get the clean, pure product.
Miight make you a slacker, but! with a total peace of mind.
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

I would argue against the notion that drugs, esp psychedelics helped many people produce their greatest art.
I think it's the other way around.
Very creative people generally have another level of emotional intensity,
which, in turn leads them to explore other realms.

You can go all spiritual with your LSD, Peyotle, Ayahuasca, believing you saw god, achieved enlightenment. You're just fooling yourself imo.

Charlie Parker, as an example of many, miraculously managed to do what he did, despite of all the drug abuse.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Drug usage, which includes alcohol, has given me loads of opportunity to socialize in ways that worked for me. Importantly, I have met many people that did not use anything to achieve the sense of being ok socially that I sought through drug use.
Drug and alcohol usage was de rigeur for me as I came of age and I was competitive and the youngest of a large family. So, at 12, I enjoyed amphetamine pills to aid in cutting my lawns a few times. At 13 I enjoyed smoking weed, wanted to get into the inevitability of that act and follow the paths of the elders I admired and the pop icons I worshipped and read up on.
Smoking weed helped me to gain influence with my peers and I made sure to make a habit of it so as not to be overcome by its effects when it was a social event that offered chances

I smoked alone to escape older non hip parents and enjoy music. I was lucky to get turned on to some outstanding artists from my elders at the same time in life. Artists I was exposed to by siblings a decade older than me remain in my play list today.
I also had a talented peer that was a very mild user of drugs to help guide my musical life. He was and is a musician and was born with perfect pitch and attended Julliard due to his gifts. As he was only a light user he impressed on me that drug usage might negatively effect my experiences. Zappa, Metheney and Steve Vai did not need it, but I perceived that I did.
Smoking weed seemed like it would allow me to enjoy this world of engaged music enjoyment but I was more engaged by the social opportunities I thought it would bring.
Many role models did it so I made sure to be good at it.
The same for alcohol and the same for acid and mushrooms. It was better to have 10 trips on your resume than to be freaking out on your first one. Better to puke and hide it and join the others than to puke in an out of control fashion.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

bossho wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:03 pm I was lucky to get turned on to some outstanding artists from my elders at the same time in life. Artists I was exposed to by siblings a decade older than me remain in my play list today.
Yes, yes, yes. I've known plenty of people who never took drugs and for the most part their musical tastes were questionable. Guns n Roses, Phil Collins and the Scorpions? Fuck off.

Wrap up a fat one and spin Electric Ladyland.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:50 am I've known plenty of people who never took drugs and for the most part their musical tastes were questionable. Guns n Roses, Phil Collins and the Scorpions? Fuck off.
Hahahaha, indeed.
Actually these bands drugs were either alcohol, or none. And it did lacked of something making it sound attractive / cool to me.
I cannot relate much to people who went through the 60's & 70's without consuming any black music at all, that is some weird kind of taste.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic