Buying or renting small car or tuk tuk

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Re: Buying or renting small car or tuk tuk

Post by mi1 »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:58 pm Its not so much security of theft, but rather the potential for accidents on a moto vs a rickshaw that is the safety concern. Although I guess we can all debate whether a moto or a rickshaw is safer for a kid.
Yes, that's what i meant also. I do not know if there any research on that topic but from my personal experience.. i had 2 moto accidents, one tuk tuk hit and one rickshaw and both of them much less damage to me compared to those who were inside Rickshaw. Tuk Tuk will not fall down when someone pull ur purse or u drive slippery/bad road. For accidents i do not think is has any advantage.

Picture from my first incident :)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Wasn’t Stroppy chops one of the barang with aTukTuk? He’s not been on the forum in some time, though.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

mi1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:25 pm

Yes, that's what i meant also. I do not know if there any research on that topic but from my personal experience.. i had 2 moto accidents, one tuk tuk hit and one rickshaw and both of them much less damage to me compared to those who were inside Rickshaw. Tuk Tuk will not fall down when someone pull ur purse or u drive slippery/bad road. For accidents i do not think is has any advantage.

Picture from my first incident :)
Hmmm... That's interesting, I have no clear idea about that but your example is interesting. I would think it has some thing to do with the driving behavior of the tuk tuk/rickshaw driver in the event of the accident. Its possible a rickshaw may be less likely to flip over than an old fashioned tuk tuk, as the center of gravity is much lower.

I've never had any serious accidents on a moto but the potential (as I imagine) seems quite nasty.
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

Was wondering on the cost maintenance monthly for aKia Visto or Hyundai (any small car really )

Anyone here had go 🚘
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

My saga with a car or tuk tuk continues.

I've been looking at cars, but have never bought one before in Cambodia. What kind of paperwork are they supposed to have here? One car I'm looking at has a license plate but what else is it supposed to have in terms of documentation?

TIA
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:59 pm My saga with a car or tuk tuk continues.

I've been looking at cars, but have never bought one before in Cambodia. What kind of paperwork are they supposed to have here? One car I'm looking at has a license plate but what else is it supposed to have in terms of documentation?

TIA
License plate, registration card, road tax document and card and sticker (not to be confused with import tax) and road-worthiness cert for present year

If unregistered in cambodia must have certificate of import tax paid only - this document permits it's first registration here
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:02 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:59 pm My saga with a car or tuk tuk continues.

TIA
License plate, registration card, road tax document and card and sticker (not to be confused with import tax) and road-worthiness cert for present year

If unregistered in cambodia must have certificate of import tax paid only - this document permits it's first registration here
Thanks for your reply. For the road worthiness certificate, it seems that the seller is telling me that the old one is sort of renewed or extended when you pay for your tax sticker every year. Does that sound right?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:06 pm

TIA

Thanks for your reply. For the road worthiness certificate, it seems that the seller is telling me that the old one is sort of renewed or extended when you pay for your tax sticker every year. Does that sound right?
No, that's bullshit

It expires each year and the vehicle must be inspected at an accredited testing center and pass a multitude of different things, braking, tire tread, suspension, engine emissions etc

If a seller is being shady about that it's a quite likely a piece of shit vehicle with problems that mean it cannot easily pass
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:21 am

No, that's bullshit

It expires each year and the vehicle must be inspected at an accredited testing center and pass a multitude of different things, braking, tire tread, suspension, engine emissions etc

If a seller is being shady about that it's a quite likely a piece of shit vehicle with problems that mean it cannot easily pass
OK, thanks, that's good to know. I guess these accredited testing centers are government run centers? Do they also have them in the province or only in Phnom Penh? Actually the seller showed me one but it expired about 5 years ago.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:39 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:21 am

No, that's bullshit

OK, thanks, that's good to know. I guess these accredited testing centers are government run centers? Do they also have them in the province or only in Phnom Penh? Actually the seller showed me one but it expired about 5 years ago.
They are government run. They have in PP and most provinces and also there are mobile test centers too

Matt Lee has been mentioned a few times. He makes this process less like pulling teeth
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic