Buying or renting small car or tuk tuk

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Buying or renting small car or tuk tuk

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:44 pm

They are gas powered biscuit tins, get in an accident and they will crumple upon the occupants. Being three wheeled they are inherently unstable in turns and don't have the traction that four wheels provide.

Also, they sometimes explode

newsworthy/passapp-tuktuk-bursts-into-f ... 30808.html

newsworthy/tuktuk-burns-cinder-the-beach-t43579.html

newsworthy/tuk-tuk-catches-fire-with-fa ... 22111.html

newsworthy/truck-driver-kills-driver-an ... 40544.html

newsworthy/phnom-penh-pot-hole-kills-tu ... 42154.html

newsworthy/two-injured-passapp-tuk-tuk- ... 38030.html

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that those Indian shitboxes are not synonymous with "safe family vehicle" to my mind
Well I guess that is something to keep in mind. You're probably right that they are not that safe. But compared to motos for a child, which one would you think is safer?

In any case it may not be a significant factor as it seems they aren't for rent and are fairly expensive. I think I am leaning towards something like a Kia Visto.

But again I have no idea how to assess the condition of a car if I see it. I guess you need brakes, the engine has to be in good condition, something with the wheels and axle...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:35 am

They are gas powered biscuit tins, get in an accident and they will crumple upon the occupants. Being three wheeled they are inherently unstable in turns and don't have the traction that four wheels provide.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that those Indian shitboxes are not synonymous with "safe family vehicle" to my mind
Well I guess that is something to keep in mind. You're probably right that they are not that safe. But compared to motos for a child, which one would you think is safer?

In any case it may not be a significant factor as it seems they aren't for rent and are fairly expensive. I think I am leaning towards something like a Kia Visto.

But again I have no idea how to assess the condition of a car if I see it. I guess you need brakes, the engine has to be in good condition, something with the wheels and axle...
One of the most important things is to check that any car has not been written off in an accident and then repaired here and resold.

Because, until relatively recently, 90%+of all cars sold here were insurance auction vehicles that were crashed in the USA and poorly repaired here

A car with a poor structural repair again could just collapse on its occupants in a fairly minor accident

The CNM motor fellow mentioned earlier does all these checks of vehicles for potential buyers and checks accident records etc.

While he is definitely more expensive than making a deal by yourself, if you are not competent in assessing vehicles he will save you money and headache in long run
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:09 pm
One of the most important things is to check that any car has not been written off in an accident and then repaired here and resold.

Because, until relatively recently, 90%+of all cars sold here were insurance auction vehicles that were crashed in the USA and poorly repaired here

A car with a poor structural repair again could just collapse on its occupants in a fairly minor accident

The CNM motor fellow mentioned earlier does all these checks of vehicles for potential buyers and checks accident records etc.

While he is definitely more expensive than making a deal by yourself, if you are not competent in assessing vehicles he will save you money and headache in long run
Oh OK, that's strange. That's good to know. According to the article on the Kia Visto, that particular branding was only released in Korea and Indonesia. I tend to think any of them here would have been imported from Korea (not Indonesia). I guess the same principle would apply that these imports could also have been insurance auction vehicles from Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Atos

I guess the CNM Motor guy has some kind of database that he checks the serial number on to see if it was an accident vehicle?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

He does. It’s one of several insurance based databases, but bear in mind these databases are only good for the market where the car originated. Eg, USA, etc. if the car came in from somewhere that does not maintain comprehensive records of vehicles, then you’d be reliant on the physical inspection of the car itself. The database check is good for weeding out serious risky cars, or identifying blatant lies in the history.

Insurance write offs are not an absolute problem, as these can be simply financially driven. An obsolete component will make an older, perfectly viable vehicle Beyond Economic Repair. The mainstream insurance companies tend to write off cars requiring significant, expensive original manufacturer replacement parts once the repair estimate goes beyond a % of the market value.

Those databases (equifax, etc) will, however, provide some detail about what type of write off was involved. That includes mandated destruction of the vehicle, BER, damage resulting in major compromise of structural integrity. And outstanding finance, I think.
You could write off a very good condition 20year old SUV simply because of damaged cosmetic parts. Market value low, component parts high, labour and finishing costs high- write off.
Stolen-recovered vehicles get written off but salvageable if the vehicle was recovered after an insurance settlement was made. I nearly bought such a car, here. It was nigh on perfect, but the owner was playing hard ball on the price which was about 3k too much. I know he actually sold for less than I offered him- such is the local mentality.

What will normally show up is where a major accident results in structural damage that cannot be safely rectified. You’ll also pick up major odometer changes. Such as a good US car having exceeded 300,000miles ten years ago, but being marketed locally with only 150,000 right now.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:35 am

As for the LPG tuk tuk, I think they are available for rent. I can't remember,ber exactly where I read it but there is a guy renting them. Some of the tuk tuk drivers rent them for their business.

As for buying, I don't know what you considered as "expensive". I think a new one would run you around $4000. In terms of resale, I think it would be easier to sell a tuk tuk then a car. When comparing that to buy a used cars with all the concerns listed and all the leg work you have to do, the price seems reasonable (IMHO). Also I think the maintenance on the tuk tuk would be way more easier then on a car. Depending on the car you buy, you would need to find a qualified mechanic to work on you car. Which could be a challenge in itself. With the abundance of tuk tuk on the road, there are tons of local shops who are qualified to work on tuk tuk

Just my 2 cents worth.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:41 am we need to get some kind of small vehicle for safety reasons. I was thinking of one of those little LPG rickshaw/tuk tuks
Rickshaw gives u a bit of comfort but no extra security compared to moto (i even think is less (no helmet, u stuck inside, ..)).

Consider to buy small kia (e.g https://www.khmer24.com/en/cars/visto-2 ... 05246.html) u can buy one for 3-5 k
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:46 pm He does. It’s one of several insurance based databases, but bear in mind these databases are only good for the market where the car originated. Eg, USA, etc. if the car came in from somewhere that does not maintain comprehensive records of vehicles, then you’d be reliant on the physical inspection of the car itself. The database check is good for weeding out serious risky cars, or identifying blatant lies in the history.

Insurance write offs are not an absolute problem, as these can be simply financially driven. An obsolete component will make an older, perfectly viable vehicle Beyond Economic Repair. The mainstream insurance companies tend to write off cars requiring significant, expensive original manufacturer replacement parts once the repair estimate goes beyond a % of the market value.

Those databases (equifax, etc) will, however, provide some detail about what type of write off was involved. That includes mandated destruction of the vehicle, BER, damage resulting in major compromise of structural integrity. And outstanding finance, I think.
You could write off a very good condition 20year old SUV simply because of damaged cosmetic parts. Market value low, component parts high, labour and finishing costs high- write off.
Stolen-recovered vehicles get written off but salvageable if the vehicle was recovered after an insurance settlement was made. I nearly bought such a car, here. It was nigh on perfect, but the owner was playing hard ball on the price which was about 3k too much. I know he actually sold for less than I offered him- such is the local mentality.

What will normally show up is where a major accident results in structural damage that cannot be safely rectified. You’ll also pick up major odometer changes. Such as a good US car having exceeded 300,000miles ten years ago, but being marketed locally with only 150,000 right now.
Hi Freight Dog,

Thanks, that's a very comprehensive explanation of the way the databases work. I can see that would be very useful in the event that a car was included in the database. You learn something every day!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

mi1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:07 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:41 am we need to get some kind of small vehicle for safety reasons. I was thinking of one of those little LPG rickshaw/tuk tuks
Rickshaw gives u a bit of comfort but no extra security compared to moto (i even think is less (no helmet, u stuck inside, ..)).

Consider to buy small kia (e.g https://www.khmer24.com/en/cars/visto-2 ... 05246.html) u can buy one for 3-5 k
Its not so much security of theft, but rather the potential for accidents on a moto vs a rickshaw that is the safety concern. Although I guess we can all debate whether a moto or a rickshaw is safer for a kid.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:58 pm

Its not so much security of theft, but rather the potential for accidents on a moto vs a rickshaw that is the safety concern. Although I guess we can all debate whether a moto or a rickshaw is safer for a kid.
Nothing to debate, neither are safe for a kid... If you are serious about your kids safety on the roads you NEED a car.

Seatbelts, side intrusion bars, accident crumple zones, air bags, child safety seats, ABS brakes etc etc etc....
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Grand Barong wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:31 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:58 pm

Nothing to debate, neither are safe for a kid... If you are serious about your kids safety on the roads you NEED a car.

Seatbelts, side intrusion bars, accident crumple zones, air bags, child safety seats, ABS brakes etc etc etc....
All right Thanks, Barong for your input although I have no idea what some of those things are in your list.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic